Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tom Clancy collection > Rainbow Six series

Old 01-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
gurkoz

Banned
Thumbs up Rainbow Six Ravenshield Revived (All solutions included)

First, Don't be alarmed by the size of this post, it's pretty easy stuff. I just wanted to compile a list of all the needed info and explain it so everyone would understand it. I am doing this just because i love the game and i hope this will bring a few more needed players. Credits where credits are due to all the people in this forum who contributed to various solutions.

If you like me, played back in the days and had a great time, please do come back, the game is actually still alive! Or if you are tired of all the constant brainless first person railshooters being pumped out, please give this one a shot!

There is something special about this game that makes me come back to it again and again. It is accurate, challenging and really rewarding. Skill pays a big part and teamwork and planning goes a long way. Noways 98% of the players have turned to some braindead Call of Duty title but i really think they owe themselves to return to a game like Ravenshield.

This Christmas steam sale i bought quite a few new, expensive and exciting games on steam. The last day of the sales i also bought Rainbow Six Ravenshield for a modest sum of 4€. I have barely touched all the new fancy games and i constantly find myself coming back to this title! To my great surprise, the game actually works on a modern OS as Windows 7 and there are still even people playing this online!

So get moving, stop wasting more time! Here is your checklist to success.

NOTE: I can confirm that all these steps are working using Windows 7 - 64bit, other setups may differ and produce various errors unknown to me.

* INSTALL: Rainbow Six Ravenshield Gold on steam [REQUIRED]
This is the base game. Install it to complete yourself as a gamer and a human beeing.

* INSTALL: Athena Sword on Steam [OPTIONAL]
This is the first official expansion for the game. It features eight new missions, five new multiplayer missions, three new multiplayer gamemodes, and seven new weapons. Sadly, this is rarely played online any more. Although, the singleplayer experience can still be fully enjoyed.

* INSTALL: Iron Wrath [OPTIONAL]
This is the second official expansion for the game. It was released exclusively (i think) as a free update to fileplanet subscribers. I've read on a few places that you will need a code/cdkey to download/install this but i personally had no problems with this. It features a 7-mission campaign, 3 classic missions, 8 new multiplayer maps, 6 new weapons, as well as 5 new multiplayer game modes. Sadly, this is rarely played online any more. Although, the singleplayer experience can still be fully enjoyed. This expansion, not available on Steam requires a different install procedure. (Credits go to irishbear for the solution - http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1049634)
  1. Download the expansion from "http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/ironwrath/"
  2. With credits to Phileosophos, copy the following code.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{AF131494-F5D8-45C5-938C-D5F020CF1B0D}]
    "DisplayVersion"="1.60.412"
    "InstallLocation"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\rainbow six 3 gold"
    "ModifyPath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\rainbow six 3 gold"
    "Version"=dword:01000000
  3. Create a new textfile on your desktop calling it "rvs.txt".
  4. Edit the file and place the code. Note: Check to see if the path to the game is correct. This example using (Windows 7 - 64bit)
  5. Save and close.
  6. Rename the file to "rvs.reg".
  7. Doubbleclick the file and import it to the registry.

Note: reason for this, acordingly to irishbear:

Quote:
"the Iron Wrath installer doesn't check the Red Storm Entertainment reg keys to make sure a valid Raven Shield product is installed, it goes to the Uninstall section of the registry and checks there instead. The Steam version of Raven Shield doesn't create any Uninstall keys, so the installer fails"
* INSTALL: PunkBuster [OPTIONAL]
This is the Anti-cheat protection used and is maintained by www.evenbalance.com. Although, looking at their site it seems like they dropped support for this game a while back. (Im guessing this is due to UbiSoft!) Also, servers online rarely have this feature enabled these days. Please note: This can not be installed without the Iron Wrath Fix above.
  1. Download PunkBuster from "ftp://ftp.ubisoft.com/games/ravenshi...PunkBuster.exe".
  2. Install the software.
  3. Start the game and go to Option->Multiplayer and enable PunkBuster.

* FIX: Missing sounds in Athena Sword and Iron Wrath
For some reason, when installing any of the two expansions, some of the sounds go missing in action. These are the new weapons, environment sounds and various voice overs. To fix this, follow these steps to copy over the required files to the correct folder.
  1. Navigate to the sound folder of Athena Sword, usually in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rainbow six 3 gold\Mods\AthenaSword\Sounds"
  2. Copy all the files in this folder.
  3. Navigate to the sound folder of Ravenshield, usually in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rainbow six 3 gold\sounds"
  4. Paste the files.
  5. Navigate to the sound folder of Iron Wrath, usually in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rainbow six 3 gold\Mods\IronWrath\Sounds"
  6. Copy all the files in this folder.
  7. Navigate to the sound folder of Ravenshield, usually in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rainbow six 3 gold\sounds"
  8. Paste the files.

* FIX: Enabling EAX for Creative X-Fi users
When using Windows Vista or Windows 7 the feature to enable EAX sound will be disabled. To be able to enable this you have to download a software called "Alchemy" from Creative.
  1. Open a browser and go to "http://www.creative.com".
  2. Navigate to your hardware and look for "Alchemy" in the support/driver/download section.
  3. Download and install the application.
  4. Start the Application and select "Ravenshield" in the left hand side list.
  5. Click the arrow pointing to the right and that should bring the game over to the enabled side.
  6. Quit the application and start the game.
  7. Go to Options->Sound and enable EAX.

NOTE: if you, like me, get an "layout.bin" error when installing, do the following. Download WinRAR and open the Exe file. Extract all the content and run the setup manually.

* FIX: Can not create new user for online multiplayer
UbiSoft, being the shady people that they are, have removed and retired the website needed to register a new player. Luckily, you can still just register at their main site and it still counts as an in-game player account.
  1. Open a browser and go to "http://www.ubi.com"
  2. Proceed to register a user.
  3. Use the same information to login to online multiplayer in-game.

* FIX: Crash on launch (Xfire issue)
It's pretty safe to say this is an old game and a lot of problems may occur. To my own experience i've only encountered one crash that was traced to X-Fire. The problem was the ingame overlay that Xfire uses. To fix this (rather than closing xfire every time) follow these steps to disable in-game overlay for Ravenshield.
  1. Open Xfire and go to Options->Games and select Ravenshield.
  2. Under advanced options, tick the checkbox for "Disable Xfire In-Game"

* FIX: Game keeps returning to desktop.
Don't know if this is an issue only i get. Sometimes the game refuses to go fullscreen and always returns me to the desktop. Found out that if you close all other applications and folders, windows forces the game to be fullscreen (Since it's really the only active item on the taskbar. Worked for me).

* TWEAK: Removing intro movies
One annoying thing in all games are the constant bombardment of video playback on startup. Luckily in this game you can disable them to get a quick game launch and ready for action in no time.
  1. Navigate to the videos folder, usually in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rainbow six 3 gold\Videos"
  2. Delete/Rename the following files. "Logos.bik" and "R6logo3a.bik".

* TWEAK: Mouse & Performance (INI Files)
Since this is an oldschool game there are a few ways to tweak it to your liking. Most importantly this is where you can make sure your mouse is dead on accurate and other settings. To get more information about INI Tweaking, read more here - http://www.tacticalgamer.com/first-p...en-shield.html
  1. Navigate to the Save folder, usually in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rainbow six 3 gold\Save\Profiles"
  2. Edit the file "user.ini" and change the following settings.

* MouseSamplingTime - This setting effects how fast/slowly your mouse moves by taking samples at more/less frequent intervals (in seconds). As this number increases from the default the slower your mouse will seem as samples of your mouse movement are taken less often. Experiment with this setting if the default sampling time doesn't seem to help your mouse speed.

3. Navigate to the System folder, usually in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rainbow six 3 gold\system"
  4. Edit the file "RavenShield.ini" and change the following settings.

* CacheSizeMegs - Increasing the cache size can improve overall performance, especially if you have high texture detail settings and 64MB of Video RAM or more. Try higher values such as 128 if you have a higher spec system.

* ReduceMouseLag - If you have issues with your mouse "lagging" on screen, then setting this option to True will help resolve them. Unfortunately it will also reduce your fps to some extent, so if you have no mouse lag problems set it to False for a slight increase in performance.

* UseVSync - VSync is the synchronization of your graphics card and monitors' abilities to redraw the screen a number of times each second. When set to False, your fps will improve slightly, however, you may see some image "tearing", in which case switch to True if you don't like the results. (Setting this to False cleared up any mouse lag i was experiencing.)

Note: It is good practise to backup these files (and avoiding some drama) as Ravenshield sometimes crashes and reverts to the default setup.

QUESTION: Does Ravenshield work on Windows 7 & 64bit?
ANSWER: Yes it sure does.

QUESTION: Does Ravenshield support Widescreen?
ANSWER: Yes/No. Resolutions work but various items get stretched to some point, but really not a big problem.

That's all folks! Hope this helps somebody and see you ingame!

Last edited by gurkoz: 01-10-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:25 AM   #2
rvs_twilight

Great post. You should add that people can install custom single player mods if they add the Mod Unlocker tool.

http://forums.rvsmods.com/showthread.php?tid=44
rvs_twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
skabby

Man I loved this game. I haven't played in years. Is there still an active community besides on Steam? This is the FPS that made me love FPS's in the first place. Ohhh, the good ole days of TWL and CAL

Skabby
skabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
skabby

Don't matter, I'm buying it anyways...weeeeee!!!
skabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
SUICIDAL

Fix Xfire crash with Raibow Six 3

Xfire will work with Raven Shield, Athena Sword and Iron Wrath if you remove, rename or delete any of the cut scene movies. The Intro Ubisoft movie and all the other cut scene movies cause your display setting to change and that is what causes Xfire to minimize/freeze/crash your game. Most all of the main cut scene movies are located in these locations:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\rainbow six 3 gold\Videos\int
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\rainbow six 3 gold\Videos

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\rainbow six 3 gold\Mods\AthenaSword\Videos\int
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\rainbow six 3 gold\Mods\AthenaSword\Videos

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\rainbow six 3 gold\Mods\IronWrath\Videos\int
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\rainbow six 3 gold\Mods\IronWrath\Videos

The main Video folder has a few, but the int folder is full of cut scene movies. In the main video folders you need to remove, rename or delete any files that contain the word "_Intro" or "_Outro" in their name and also get rid of the "Logos.bik" file. The "Logos.bik" file is the main Ubisoft intro movie that you see first when you launch your game. Also, without these movies your qame will launch faster and go directly to the Main Menu screen. No more annoying intro.

Or you can download a program called "Bink Video Player" for free (Just Google it) and use the Bink player to preview each movie file, if the movie is large in dimension, then it is a cut scene movie and needs to be renamed, removed or deleted from the folder. If the movie is small in dimension when it plays, then it's a movie that plays inside the mission planning screen when you are in the campaign mode and it is safe to leave it alone. After installing the Bink Video Player, you can then associate .bik to automatically open with Bink Video Player. If you hate Intro movies like I do and want your games to launch faster, you can search your entire C drive for *.bik files and remove the Intro Movies from the other games you own. I've done it to about 5 games I own and they all launch to the Main Menu instantly now.

It might seem like a lot of work, but it took me less than 2 minutes to spot the cut scene movies and delete them all and now my Xfire works correctly in-game, and I NEED Xfire in-game since I have a lot of friends on Xfire that chat with me like crazy when I'm in a game.

Here's a movie I recorded of Raven Shield recently using Xfire in-game video recording. Good quality and the sound is perfectly in sync the entire way through.

http://www.xfire.com/video/419cb4/

I play the game in an 800 x 600 window mode to retain the video quality (only when I record movies), then I use VirtualDub to export the sound in wav format and then re-import and tell VirtualDub to then match the sound length with the video length and then I save and upload it to Xfire. It's worth it if you want to show your friends a cool movie, and doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to manipulate the sound to get it to stay in sync.

Last edited by SUICIDAL: 02-24-2011 at 11:15 PM.
SUICIDAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Lt Robert Cole

Do you have to pay for the subscription in order to download iron wrath?
Lt Robert Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
Knollex

FilePlanet link for Iron Wrath does not work.

When I hit 'Submit' I just get an error.
Knollex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
Hornisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knollex View Post
FilePlanet link for Iron Wrath does not work.

When I hit 'Submit' I just get an error.
You can still download it from fileplanet here: http://www.fileplanet.com/search.asp...q=iron%20wrath
- US: http://www.fileplanet.com/154363/150...--Requires-Key!
- UK (I had to use this version with RvS Gold from Steam): http://www.fileplanet.com/154364/150...--Requires-Key!

Last edited by Hornisen: 04-03-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
Zomnivore

Banned
I played this game when I was little, my clan was filled with Canadians, and I loved them dearly. Name was evilweasel, the clan was True Evil or [TE] Love you guys if you're checking this re release of the game hit me up. Would love to play some games with you guys again.
Zomnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
Mr.Tavishman

Today, I got this game. I sure hope this guide will help me
Mr.Tavishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
belvucker

Wow thanks this helps alot This should be stickied btw

Last edited by belvucker: 09-29-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: additional info
belvucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
kristmace

Awesome thread. This was a big help getting this game running well again.
kristmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
Fear57

Can't see why this really helps, because it doesn't. No fix for game to hold a resolution above 800x600. So called sound "fix" removes all sounds completly. I will never get why companies give the option to change resolution when it is locked.
"Hitman 2 - Silent Assassin" does the same, you cannot edit ANY settings along with "Hitman: Contracts." My max is 1280x1024 for all the idiots that are going "800x600 bes jur maux lololololol"
Fear57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
belvucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear57 View Post
Can't see why this really helps, because it doesn't. No fix for game to hold a resolution above 800x600. So called sound "fix" removes all sounds completly. I will never get why companies give the option to change resolution when it is locked.
"Hitman 2 - Silent Assassin" does the same, you cannot edit ANY settings along with "Hitman: Contracts." My max is 1280x1024 for all the idiots that are going "800x600 bes jur maux lololololol"
The resolution does have issues with Rainbow Six 3 from time to time, it is a hit or miss. It is also important to note that the resolution is 800x600 in the menus, in game it should match to whatever you set it as. As for the sound fix, are you sure you have done it correctly? It perfectly fine for me.
belvucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #15
blacklab

Good thread. The game kept crashing on my computer. I was ready to give up until I read the Xfire fix. It works now.
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tom Clancy collection > Rainbow Six series