Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 01-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
cool2000m

Talking increaseuserva command and how it helped me

**DISCLAIMER** I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR COMPUTER IF YOU USE THIS GUIDE, SHOULD YOU ACCIDENTALLY MESS THINGS UP! PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I recently came across the increaseuserva command, and I figured other people on this forum may benefit from it

then, click where it says advanced system settings, and a window should pop up. click 'advanced', then 'performance', then advanced again, then finally you will find an option called 'virtual memory'. above that, click the 'programs' bubble in 'proccessor scheduling'.

look at how much vm you have and write it down. if you feel like you have enough, then don't do anything. I prefer to manage it myself since my machine gives me too little IMO (I use 1.5 times my ram, but ONLY so I can increase the increaseuserva size.) you may want to use less, if you have a significant amount of ram. but most people should let the OS manage it.

the default amount of virtual memory any program can use at one time is 2048 (can't do much about it ram-wise in 32 bit OS, unfortunately, but vm works fine). then, type:

bcdedit /set increaseuserva (insert your vm here in megabytes)

in an elevated command prompt (right click, click 'run as administrator)

(if you have at lease 4 gigabytes, i suggest typing 4096) you don't have to restart for this, the change is immediate in my experience. if you have problems, then type in 3072, and remember all you have to do is type in 2048 to turn it back to normal. alternately, type the bcdedit command after pressing windows-r in the 'run' box.

you can check if it worked by typing in bcdedit. it should say increaseuserva then the number you just typed in.

run a game and see the difference. what this does is allow any given program to use ALL of your avaliable vm instead of just some of it. this made my games WAY faster. My hypothesis is that the game's files for the level you're playing (textures, maps, etc.) are loaded onto the vm, so the more urgent processes can be loaded onto the RAM without having to load the game's files onto it over and over, although these thoughts are premature at best.

MORE UNRELATED THINGS:

go to control panel, and right under the search bar click 'view by' and go to 'large icons'. click 'performance information and tools'. on the menu to the right, there's another shortcut to get to the visual styles and vm menu, an indexing options menu, a link to the power settings, open disk cleanup, and advanced tools. click power settings and click 'show additional plans' and click 'high performance'. click 'back'. you should already know this, but in case you didn't, here it is!

Last edited by cool2000m: 01-11-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: arranged data by order of importance, made command easier to read, added stuff i accidentally deleted during previous edit
Old 01-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
dosbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool2000m View Post
congratulations! if you made it safely past these steps, then you won't have to tweak your computer for a VERY long time!!
I've never had any "pop ins" since running Windows 7. But then I've got more than 640KB in my system.

I'd like to see your data about how this improves performance though.
dosbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
borg_7_of_9

Waste of time IMO, time and time again it's proven that the difference is negligible, windows managed VS preset..

It's best to leave it windows Managed..

This is the same old win XP trick set a page file 1.5x Mem and de-frag the HDD so the page file is not fragmented..

Pity windows read's back what it need's and It's not in a specific order in the Page file..

Last edited by borg_7_of_9: 01-10-2011 at 06:26 PM.
borg_7_of_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
cool2000m

i have a macbook running windows 7 on bootcamp, so it was more of a problem for me.

on call of duty 4, I averaged 24-30 fps under 1024x768 resolution. after, I had an average of 45, and the gameplay was smoother and it loaded faster.

on world at war, it was around 15-24 fps at 800x600 and was almost unplayable, but now it is around 32-38, and is a lot smoother. loads about the same.

I have about 6144 mb of virtual memory and 4gb of ram with a core 2 duo (2.0mhz) clocked at 2.130 mhz, and a 9400m clocked at 517 (graphics) and 1265 mhz (processor) and always use macfan under osx and crank the fan up all the way. I have tested the OC very thoroughly.
cool2000m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
cool2000m

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg_7_of_9 View Post
Waste of time IMO, time and time again it's proven that the difference is negligible, windows managed VS preset..

It's best to leave it windows Managed..
unless you have a POC macbook like mine... the automatic managing disable step is optional for most people... I just prefer to manage it myself...
Old 01-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
Princess Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool2000m View Post
also, you will have less pop-ins, because the data will be stored on your harddrive rather than your ram.
This is backwards. RAM is many times faster than a hard drive, so any time the PC needs to go somewhere for something, it'll find it quicker if it's in RAM.

Texture pop in is just a matter of how some game engines work (thank the consoles), but it's worse when there's lack of VRAM, so lower VRAM GPUs and/or higher settings make it more prominent.

The one thing I agree with your guide on is that I have a custom paging file set for the sake of keeping it unfragmented. People focus only on the performance difference (or lack thereof) and miss that there's the benefit of fragmentation, and I don't think Windows will defragment the page file (I could be wrong). You can manually set it up to be defragmented from the start, and then it'll essentially never get fragmented. You do this by setting the initial and maximum size the same (and you need to turn it entirely off, defragment the drive, the turn it back on to ensure it's all continuous and not fragmented from the start. I also did this because I have 8GB RAM and have no need for as huge a page file as Windows would want to set. I think mine is set to 4GB.

Last edited by Princess Garnet: 01-10-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Princess Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
cool2000m

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3llian07 View Post
This is backwards. RAM is many times faster than a hard drive, so any time the PC needs to go somewhere for something, it'll find it quicker if it's in RAM.

Texture pop in is just a matter of how some game engines work (thank the consoles), but it's worse when there's lack of VRAM, so lower VRAM GPUs and/or higher settings make it more prominent.

The one thing I agree with your guide on is that I have a custom paging file set for the sake of keeping it unfragmented. People focus only on the performance difference (or lack thereof) and miss that there's the benefit of fragmentation, and I don't think Windows will defragment the page file (I could be wrong). You can manually set it up to be defragmented from the start, and then it'll essentially never get fragmented. You do this by setting the initial and maximum size the same (and you need to turn it entirely off, defragment the drive, the turn it back on to ensure it's all continuous and not fragmented from the start. I also did this because I have 8GB RAM and have no need for as huge a page file as Windows would want to set. I think mine is set to 4GB.
noted.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
Silicon Vampire

Volunteer Moderator
Page file size is really best left to the OS these days.

I do something like this with XP installs for the benifits H3llian07 noted but not with Vista or W7.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
cool2000m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon Vampire View Post
Page file size is really best left to the OS these days.

I do something like this with XP installs for the benifits H3llian07 noted but not with Vista or W7.
what really made the difference for me was the increaseuserva command... it makes an application use ALL of the vm and not just half of it. I only increased the vm so I could increase the increaseuserva.

maybe I should have put more emphasis on it...

EDIT: I put more emphasis on it. thanks for helping, silicon vampire! I am glad a respected member/moderator such as yourself took the time to post in my thread

Last edited by cool2000m: 01-11-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
LATTEH

Banned
the only thing i got out of this thread was the sweet Diskdefrager

edit: why did you delete the link to the diskdefrager?

Last edited by LATTEH: 01-11-2011 at 10:55 AM.
LATTEH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems