Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
RoK

DirectX is installed everytime I run any game

The "First time setup" directX installation always comes up everytime I run a game I've already played on my PC before. How should I go on to fix this? I've already checked for latest updates using microsoft's directx setup. Any help would be appreciated, its getting really annoying having to wait for it to install everytime.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
stoneysilence

What games do this?
stoneysilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
RoK

I currently have about 16 games installed from my steam list.

The ones that do give me this issue:
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Assassin's Creed
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Call of Duty Black Ops
F.E.A.R.
Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes from Liberty City
Mirror's Edge
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

The ones that do NOT give me this issue:
Left 4 Dead 2
Team Fortress 2
Killing Floor

This is what I currently have installed, so I'm unsure of whether my games I don't have installed also have this issue.
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Gone'Postal

Banned
Remove the dxinstaller, (Search the steam folder for dxsetup.exe)
Gone'Postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
RoK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone'Postal View Post
The first time setup window still shows up, for a couple seconds.
I guess this is a temporary fix until I know why steam keeps trying to install directx everytime i run my games
Old 01-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
richard.eid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone'Postal View Post
Haha, no.

The installers for DX, VC++, PhysX and others are included with your games for a reason. Whichever packages are included with your games are the builds of those technologies that were used when the developers were designing game. Your machine may not have the latest versions of these installed, so they are included with your game download. And even sometimes, like in the case of DirectX, when you actually do have the latest runtimes installed, it's still not sufficient to meet the requirements of what the game needs.

When you run a game for the first time, Steam launches the installers for anything required by the game. The installers all launch and run, but depending on what you do or don't have installed they'll act accordingly. If the Visual C++ redistributable package sees that you don't have this particular build of the libraries installed, it will install them for you. If it sees that you do, it does nothing. Likewise, if the DirectX installer sees that you have the latest DirectX runtimes installed, but not an older subset, like August 2006 or December 2006 DX updates, it installs the missing libraries and does nothing with the ones you already have.

Even when you keep up-to-date with all these installers through methods other than letting Steam keep you up-to-date by installing games, you'll still likely never have what every game needs and certain things will need to be installed. One game might have installed DirectX but now another one is installing DirectX again? It means they relied on different builds of DirectX and having the latest DirectX build doesn't ensure that you have every build of DirectX ever required by any game.

The point is that these installers run when you first install a game, but sometimes they may not end up doing anything at all aside from version checks. It's important to let these install and will usually mean one less troubleshooting step should any problems arise. And should any problems arise, it's best to have these on hand should they actually need to be reinstalled for whatever reason...so they shouldn't be deleted.
richard.eid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
Gone'Postal

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoK View Post
The "First time setup" directX installation always comes up everytime I run a game I've already played on my PC before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.eid View Post
Haha, no.

When you run a game for the first time, Steam launches the installers for anything required by the game.

The point is that these installers run when you first install a game, but sometimes they may not end up doing anything at all aside from version checks.

And should any problems arise, it's best to have these on hand should they actually need to be reinstalled for whatever reason...so they shouldn't be deleted.

Thanks for the wall of information, however, I think you missed the bolded part in the OP's question.

It's a bug in steam where the game wont' remember if the first time installer has been run, and runs it every time. the short term fix is to remove the installer for the already installed redis folder content.

also

If a problem arises, they just check the game cache and steam re-downloads them. (which is normally the first step anyway) then try and run the game which will..... blah.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
B33 ENN

I had that c****y PunkBuster and GameSpy stuff do that each time and since I don't even use MP, I deleted them out of the directories out of frustration. That fixed 'em good.

Not really had a problem with DX though, even on some games the OP mentions like BC2... Steam does flash momentarily something about initialising first teme setup, but it disappears and there is no attempt to re-install.

Curious...
B33 ENN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
Gone'Postal

Banned
IIRC, The game has a script that runs, then self destructs, but sometimes it can't delete itself so it runs every time you run the game.

There was a post on it some time ago, which I've had a look for but can't find with the solution in, but the quick hack way is just to delete the redis folder if the game has it, or remove the .exe for the installer.

A check of the game cache will pull it back down, so will a patch to the game IIRC.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
richard.eid

What if you don't currently have access to an Internet connection? That's just one of many reasons not to delete these files.

Also, if the InstallScript isn't being deleted after first launch, then it sounds like a permissions problem in the folder.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
Gone'Postal

Banned
It is a permissions issue the scrip doesn't terminate, and thus it's still running while it tries to delete itself causing the issue.

Richard, I'm not going to bother quoting myself saying it's a quick fix, and thus mean it's not the best and or only solution to the issue. There are other ways, they could rename the file, which would do the same job, but as stated, I never said mine was the only way, if you have another, please post it.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
B33 ENN

On Vista onwards, MS introduced a protective mechanism to stop malicious programs from changing files under the Program Files heirarchy, this is known to cause issues with older stuff, particularly games.

If the OP installed to the default Steam path under there, possibly could be worth testing be moving the installation out. I don't get these issues and my install isn't under there.

Last edited by B33 ENN: 01-11-2011 at 12:55 PM.
B33 ENN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
richard.eid

Hence, the SteamService. It helps out with certain games that require administrative privileges on first run...among other things. If either this or UAC have been disabled, games that require elevated permissions for any reason may fail to run or have issues while running.

Note: The use of both UAC and the SteamService are different than running Steam as a machine administrator.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #14
RoK

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33 ENN View Post
On Vista onwards, MS introduced a protective mechanism to stop malicious programs from changing files under the Program Files heirarchy, this is known to cause issues with older stuff, particularly games.

If the OP installed to the default Steam path under there, possibly could be worth testing be moving the installation out. I don't get these issues and my install isn't under there.
I've always installed steam under the default path, and this problem never happened, up until earlier this month

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips