Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dragon Age series > Dragon Age 2

Old 01-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
JoeB

Gamepad support for Dragon Age 2?

Ok, I really need to get this out of the way before I even consider pre-ordering Dragon Age 2.

Does anyone know if this game will feature Gamepad/Controller support in the PC version? I heard that this game is far more "action based" than its predecessor so that is why I am asking (I know the first Dragon Age was keyboard/mouse only). Also, if it does have controller support, does it employ the "push button to attack" combat system found in games like DeathSpank, Divinity 2, and Gothic 4? I was never particularly fond of the "select enemy once and let character automatically attack" setup that the previous game had (although I realize it was necessary in order to place more emphasis on strategy) because it's too passive and often "luck based" as opposed to your ability to physically dodge attacks.

Last edited by JoeB: 01-12-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
Phayze1337

I know with mass effect, if i had my xbox 360 controller plugged in, the game would boot and all the icons would be for xbox controls, all the notifications at the start would tell me to press "a" on the controller etc. Despite the mouse and keyboard working perfectly. I guess you would have to contact bioware for that one. Perhaps try twitter?
Phayze1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
JoeB

I suppose I could but I just wondered if anyone knew off-hand. Not even their FAQ tells me one way or another.
JoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Mouseraider

For some reason I have a feeling that, a feature like that will be DLC content, i'm sure it was part of the signature edition though.

/rant over

I have no idea if gamepads are supported for the pc version.
Mouseraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
JoeB

Hahaha, yes I know you're upset about the lack of Signature edition (as are many others). I have been reading the huge debate about it on these forums and I agree that we got the short end of the straw (being Steam customers and all). The pricing is very questionable too but that's an entirely different debate.

Anyhow, hopefully the information regarding gamepad support pops up eventually since it'll make or break whether I buy this (signature edition or not). I don't want another passive combat system game. I already have Sacred 2, Torchlight, and Neverwinter Nights 2 for that.

Last edited by JoeB: 01-12-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
StingingVelvet

It's not as action based as you seem to think it is, it is basically the same game as the original but with speedier animations and such.

Check out the combat video on Bioware's website.
StingingVelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
MarkcusD

ME2 didn't have it so probably not. The combat system seems like Jade Empire which actually does have controller support.
MarkcusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
JoeB

I understand. Perhaps it's not what I had originally thought it would be. In that case, I'll hold off for now and maybe consider getting it later if there's really nothing else worthwhile.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
Charmer

I can't find the link right now but it has already been confirmed by a Bioware dev that the PC version will not support joypads. They feel that it is best to tailor the game to the PC's interface, well that is the PR they are spouting at least.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
JoeB

Thank you for clearing that up. While I clearly respect the fact that it's been tailored towards a PC mouse and keyboard setup, it's not really the type of game I am looking for at this time.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #11
30hourweekpls

I wish they would get over themselves and include 360 controller support. I would have bought Mass Effect 2 immediately after it came out if they had not intentionally gone out of their way to strip that functionality out of it. Eventually, someone found a way to activate that functionality (which was still there, stashed away in the game's files) but they never figured out how to reactivate the gamepad interface, so the experience was only halfway there. Now I won't buy this either until it gets really cheap.

Last edited by 30hourweekpls: 01-14-2011 at 10:55 PM.
30hourweekpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
ScholarsInk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phayze1337 View Post
I know with mass effect, if i had my xbox 360 controller plugged in, the game would boot and all the icons would be for xbox controls, all the notifications at the start would tell me to press "a" on the controller etc. Despite the mouse and keyboard working perfectly. I guess you would have to contact bioware for that one. Perhaps try twitter?
Are you sure about that? It never happened to me in Mass Effect.
ScholarsInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #13
NiteX

Get it for your console its fully a console game.
NiteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
JoeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteX View Post
Get it for your console its fully a console game.
I don't own any current generation consoles and there's no sense in me getting either of them at this point (especially just for this game). All I wanted to know is whether this could have been a hack 'n slash RPG like Deathspank but it turns out that isn't the case.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
kevnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeB View Post
I don't own any current generation consoles and there's no sense in me getting either of them at this point (especially just for this game). All I wanted to know is whether this could have been a hack 'n slash RPG like Deathspank but it turns out that isn't the case.
seems like it would be awkward with a gamepad, atleast the pc version. Sure they let you button mash on console, but does that really make it better?
kevnb is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dragon Age series > Dragon Age 2