Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Blacklight: Tango Down

Old 01-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
ZombieBrandon

Zombie Studios
Blacklight 2 announced!

http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/01/...me-first-scre/

In 2010 developer Zombie Studios released Blacklight: Tango Down, a downloadable near-future themed first person shooter. Pricing for the game was just $15. At the time of the game's release, Big Download learned from Zombie's CEO Mark Long that a sequel was already in the works. Today Big Download has learned exclusively that the sequel will have an even cheaper price; free.

Yes, the Blacklight: Tango Down sequel (which at the moment is titled "Blacklight" for now) will be released as a free-to-play game. According to what Long told us today, "The full game will be free along with premium content that can be purchased in-game. Blacklight will feature a large number of improvements based on the player feedback we've gotten. And we hope going free-to-play will close that loop so we can respond even faster to player preferences."

So why go with the free-to-play/microtransaction business model? Long told us, "The free-to-play model is something we've been interested in since we first began working with Korean publishers four years ago. Free-to play is the model in Asia. It's exploding in China growing fast in Europe and emerging here in Facebook and iOS games."

The sequel will not reuse any of the content of the original Blacklight: Tango Down, according to Long. It will be an all new game with new weapons, levels, items and more. That includes the previously announced drivable mech vehicles. You can see the mech in the background of the first ever publicly released screenshot above (you can check out a high-res version when you click the above image). Long told us that the sequel will use the latest version of Epic's Unreal Engine 3 tech.

The Blacklight sequel does not yet have a release date and Long would not comment on who might be publishing the sequel (the original Blacklight Tango Down was published by Ignition Entertainment). We hope to have more info on the game in the coming weeks and months.

The new game will use Unreal Engine 3, but won't use any assets from its predecessor. New weapons, new levels, and new "mech" vehicles will be featured -- the latter of which can be seen in the single released screenshot, above. Since it looks totally awesome, we're guessing that's going to be a microtransaction-based item.

Last edited by ZombieBrandon: 01-14-2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: New article
Old 01-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Nitronumber9

Interesting choice, a few questions if I may?
1. Are you going to be doing weapons, armor and major gameplay elements as micro transaction or just visual customization stuff?

2. Will you be sticking to the same high lethality damage model from the first game?

3. Will this be multiplatform or just pc?

And finally and most importantly.

Will weapons have a hire time (Like Alliance of valiant Arms) or are they permanent?
Nitronumber9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
ZombieBrandon

Zombie Studios
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronumber9 View Post
Interesting choice, a few questions if I may?
1. Are you going to be doing weapons, armor and major gameplay elements as micro transaction or just visual customization stuff?

2. Will you be sticking to the same high lethality damage model from the first game?

3. Will this be multiplatform or just pc?

And finally and most importantly.

Will weapons have a hire time (Like Alliance of valiant Arms) or are they permanent?
1. Undecided what elements can be purchased. Visual customization for sure.

2. Likely

3. Platforms have not been announced as of yet.

We can't really give any info yet because its still fairly early in the development process and there are some things that havn't been nailed down yet. More details will come as soon as we get the ok to do so!
ZombieBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Zombie_Kipling

Zombie Studios
Still working out some of the details. However, we are building the game such that all users will be able to have a balanced and fun playing experience. Thus the game needs to be fun and FAIR for all players, especially the great majority of players who actually don't purchase items.

I can't say that we won't have functional items, but we don't want to have game breaking items for sure.

Like I say, a lot of this is still being worked out.

But, one of our goals with this game is to be able to better incorporate the community and community feedback. So, hearing, and responding to users will be far easier.

As for multiple platforms, that is still being worked out. I am not sure for now, but we are definitely going to be on PC.

As for lethality model, I can't say. This will probably arise out of playtesting and balancing.

Lastly as the rental vs. purchase, I also can't say. It will have to be determined as we do more research and figure out what users respond positively to and what they don't. We have seen games that do both and games that only do a mixture. We will have to see.

Sorry, I know that doesnt answer many questions, but a lot of these answers will be made clear as we move forward.
Zombie_Kipling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Nitronumber9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Kipling View Post

Lastly as the rental vs. purchase, I also can't say. It will have to be determined as we do more research and figure out what users respond positively to and what they don't. We have seen games that do both and games that only do a mixture. We will have to see.
If I can make a suggestion for that?
A game called S4 League features a really nice weapon rental system. Players rent weapons for a certain amount of time (5 hours, 10 hours ext) however those hours counted down only in a combat situation. So while you are customizing in menus and vice versa the timer stayed static. Players could also extend the weapon timers if they liked a certain weapon for a discounted price (I think, I can't 100% remember) Visual customization on the other hand was rentable for days. (it used to be permanent)

And a couple more questions (So sorry, just curious)

1. Will there be a closed and open beta? (I'm also guessing Ignition will publish it so I won't ask whos publishing)

2. With mechs (I'm guessing they will be player controlled) Will it similar to Fear2's Assault core mode where both teams get a mech and its the first peep to jump into it unless your planning on a rotation system.

Either way, best of luck, I'll be keeping an eye on it thats for sure.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
ZombieBrandon

Zombie Studios
Quote:
A game called S4 League features a really nice weapon rental system. Players rent weapons for a certain amount of time (5 hours, 10 hours ext) however those hours counted down only in a combat situation. So while you are customizing in menus and vice versa the timer stayed static. Players could also extend the weapon timers if they liked a certain weapon for a discounted price (I think, I can't 100% remember) Visual customization on the other hand was rentable for days. (it used to be permanent)

1. Will there be a closed and open beta? (I'm also guessing Ignition will publish it so I won't ask whos publishing)

2. With mechs (I'm guessing they will be player controlled) Will it similar to Fear2's Assault core mode where both teams get a mech and its the first peep to jump into it unless your planning on a rotation system.

1. We really hope we can do one or the other. Maybe even an alpha! Its a great way to track down any major issues that occur with large volumes of players and higher latency. Its still way too early though to know what will happen. I wish we had something like that BL:TD.

2. I can't comment on the mechs.

Thank you for the suggestion though! We are really excited for this next game. We've seen tons of feedback. We know what did and didn't work with the current game. I can tell you that spawn will not be an issue seen in the next game.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
Zombie_Kipling

Zombie Studios
Quote:

I plan for there to be an open beta. Actually, the game is free and we will be constantly updating it. So in some ways there will be little difference between a beta and a final release except maybe the final release allows you access to more items and will have less bugs. :P

As for who will be publishing this, well the announcement about the game came from us, not Ignition. So read into that what you will. :P
Zombie_Kipling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
Nitronumber9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Kipling View Post
I plan for there to be an open beta. Actually, the game is free and we will be constantly updating it. So in some ways there will be little difference between a beta and a final release except maybe the final release allows you access to more items and will have less bugs. :P

As for who will be publishing this, well the announcement about the game came from us, not Ignition. So read into that what you will. :P
Most freeware shooters I know go through an open beta, closed beta is normally restricted to a certain group of people (hardcore fans and game mods mostly, some companies do open closed beta's where you sign up and then your in)

As for the publishing "wink" I understand perfectly, best option honestly when you saw what pressure they put on to you lot. This could be the first MMO game I spend money on.

Can I sign up for the beta now?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
Lodan

I have a few questions:

1. Blacklight 2 will be released on steam too?

2. Will be release without GFWL?
Lodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
ZombieSprague

Zombie Studios
Also fans...don't forget to chime in and follow Blacklight F2P on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/BlacklightF2P
ZombieSprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
ZombieBrandon

Zombie Studios
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodan View Post
Will be release without GFWL?
GFWL not likely.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
bobsbarricades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBrandon View Post
GFWL not likely.
This is a good thing, I hope it pans out!
bobsbarricades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #13
Lodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBrandon View Post
GFWL not likely.
Nice!! Im in, GFWL was one of motives that made me avoid buy Blacklight:TD.

Im interested about play it and pay some stuff in game.

If will be released on steam with achievements will be nice for a extra motivation, like 120 achievements or even more *-*.

I will be waiting for the announcement
Lodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
TheSlenderMan

I quit playing Alliance of Valiant Arms and Genesis A.D. because they both use a terrible rental service and its hard to get ingame money. I say, pull an Eliminate Pro or Halo Reach and rank up based on credits and use said credits to buy items. Just a suggestion Can't wait for BL2
TheSlenderMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #15
PhellAsleep

Rental service is a hard model balance. Too low a price and no one will bother using real money. Too high a price and no one will bother playing the game because it's just too expensive to have any weapons to use.
PhellAsleep is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Blacklight: Tango Down