Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Black Ops

Old 01-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Forsaken

PS2 Controller with Black Ops and x360ce

Hey guys.

I have a PlayStation 2 controller with a USB adapter that I would like to use with Call of Duty: Black Ops on PC.
By default, the gamepad option in game is grayed out, making it unusable.

For the game Blur I have been able to use something called an Xbox 360 Controller Emulator or rather Xbox360ce with no problems at all.

My problem here is that I am uncertain whether this will be seen as a .dll injection by the VAC system by Valve that his game runs on.

Any tech geniuses who might know if this is a .dll injection?

And don't even bother telling me not to use a controller because of course I won't be using it for playing, I just hate the choppyness of the mouse movement in theater mode which is where a controller could come in handy
Pun intended

Old 01-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
Infiltrator

No idea. The speed of keypads in theater is annoying to me as well. Isn't there an alternative?
Infiltrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Alcoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken View Post
And don't even bother telling me not to use a controller because of course I won't be using it for playing, I just hate the choppyness of the mouse movement in theater mode which is where a controller could come in handy
Pun intended
I have a xbox360 controller and in theater mode it is pretty nice compared to the keyboard movement. The only downside is, that the footage that you are recording will have a xbox360 hud...
And you can have a slower playback with the gamepad of 0.1 speed whereas the keyboard is starting at 0.2 speed.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
Forsaken

Just got word back from Activision support and they're unable to tell me if this program will be flagged as suspicious.

That makes me think. Does the so called "cheat" need to be caught on a server or is there running tests in the game menu and theater mode it self?

E.g. in MW2, you could use cheats in private matches without being caught, but not online.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
alkalifly

I have been using the xbox contoller emulator since release (so over two months), so that I can use the analog joystick on my logitech g13

i guess i must not be very bright, because i never even thought about whether it might get me VAC banned, but here I am two months later still playing, so unless the VAC bans are SUPER delayed, it seems this .dll is okay

and when you stop and think about it, it is not modifying anything in the game itself, it is just making your controller appear as an xbox360 gamepad. it is not modifying anything in the game itself (i.e., the game simply thinks you have an xbox gamepad plugged in)
alkalifly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
dade_kash_xD

No, this does not inject any .dll into the game files. I use a PS3 controller on most PC shooters. For Black Ops, I have my PS3 controller emulated as a xbox 360 controller since release date, 11/09/10. When you emulate the xbox 360 controller, in your "My Devices" on Windows, it shows up as an actual "Xbox 360 for Windows" driver.

I use MotionInJoy for my PS3 controller and Blops recognizes it as a Xbox 360 Controller. You will not get banned for using this what-so-ever.

Last edited by dade_kash_xD: 01-15-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
Forsaken

Alright, thanks a lot guys.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
dade_kash_xD

Quote:
Alright, thanks a lot guys.
You shouldn't ask Activision. You should ask Steam because VAC, the system of banning, is a program managed and owned by them [Steam].

BTW anyone here who is using a gamepad, add me on steam to your friend's list. I like to set up private matches every now and again of strictly gamepad users!

steam: dade_kash_xD
Old 01-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
Forsaken

So you actually use the gamepad for the actual gaming part of the game?
Old 01-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
dade_kash_xD

Quote:
So you actually use the gamepad for the actual gaming part of the game?
Yep. That's how I've been playing it since day one -- the campaign, zombies and MP. Having it emulate as a xbox 360 controller really works very well. The only feature it doesn't have, is "aim-assist". Other than that, I love it!
Old 01-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
Forsaken

Just one question... Why?
Old 01-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
SoggyTissue

I use a psx1 pad for movement (left hand) and a mouse (logitech g500) to look (righthand) this runs through a usb adaptor and a program called xpadder, binds keyboard keys to the pad..used a pad for movement since unreal tournament back in 99...so im pretty used to it, and if anyone knows me i do pretty well at FPS games
SoggyTissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #13
dade_kash_xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyTissue View Post
I use a psx1 pad for movement (left hand) and a mouse (logitech g500) to look (righthand) this runs through a usb adaptor and a program called xpadder, binds keyboard keys to the pad..used a pad for movement since unreal tournament back in 99...so im pretty used to it, and if anyone knows me i do pretty well at FPS games
I do this too! Usually when I'm pretty frustrated and getting PWND, I use the mouse to aim. I was considering getting the FragFX Shark, but mehhh...

If you don't mind, can you tell me what macro's you have set? I'm sure you don't drop the mouse to click R3 for melee or square to reload. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
SoggyTissue

Well the program i use with my usb adpaptor is called xpadder, small program that binds your keyboard keys to the pad, ok here goes...directions on pad bound to w,a,s,d..L2 is jump, L1 is reload..use my thumb to press select and start. which is use and ground support. Thats it for the pad in my left hand now the g500 mouse in my right!... wheel forward weapon change wheel back to melee...2 buttons on top of the mouse bound to throw tactical + lethals..3 side buttons..sprint,crouch,use equipment
SoggyTissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
dade_kash_xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyTissue View Post
Well the program i use with my usb adpaptor is called xpadder, small program that binds your keyboard keys to the pad, ok here goes...directions on pad bound to w,a,s,d..L2 is jump, L1 is reload..use my thumb to press select and start. which is use and ground support. Thats it for the pad in my left hand now the g500 mouse in my right!... wheel forward weapon change wheel back to melee...2 buttons on top of the mouse bound to throw tactical + lethals..3 side buttons..sprint,crouch,use equipment
Interesting! Thanks for your response! I'm surprised that you don't use the left analog stick for WASD. That is, 90% of the reason I use a PS3 controller over a keyboard. I played for about 3 hours with your settings, of course modified a little, and I do just as well with the gamepad alone. So, I figure, if it took me about 60 hrs of playing Black Ops to get where I am with the gamepad alone, and my first go at your method got me that same level of performance, then I have to keep practicing with your method because it will make me GREAT!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Black Ops