Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-17-2011, 06:13 AM   #1
thejadefalcon

Steam Registration

A friend of mine can't create a Steam account and neither can I when I tried for him. The Captcha seems to be completely broken. No matter what you type, it rejects it. Any ideas on what to do?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
Wertoret

try on a different computer?

watch more closely the captcha?

use uppercase letters? use lowercase letters?

maybe the steam account name is taken, try other steam account names
Wertoret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
thejadefalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertoret View Post
try on a different computer?

watch more closely the captcha?

use uppercase letters? use lowercase letters?

maybe the steam account name is taken, try other steam account names
This friend is a hundred miles away, so it's probably not the PC, the captchas have been very simple and we've both tried different cases and the name isn't taken (or is, but claims to be available).
thejadefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
Wertoret

what? have you tried creating an account from the steam client? because I just created an account (because it just happens that my sister wanted one) with the steam client and no captchas were required, and was succesfully created.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
thejadefalcon

Wasn't aware you could do that. I'll try now.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:28 AM   #6
Amander

Maybe you have cookies blocked. Don't know about Steam for sure, but many sites pretend to recieve a broken captacha when cookies are blocked.
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:34 AM   #7
thejadefalcon

Nope. The Steam client says that the first name we tried does (something the community page backs up), but the second name doesn't show on the community page but claims to be real.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:40 AM   #8
Amander

Can you explain that? When you create an account, it only wants an account name from you which isn't related to the community.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:47 AM   #9
thejadefalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amander View Post
Can you explain that? When you create an account, it only wants an account name from you which isn't related to the community.
Steam website registration: Claims Solaris is available.
Steam client registration: Claims Solaris is taken.
Steam community search: Agrees with Steam client (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198002431752)

Steam website regestration: Claims Solariskun is available.
Steam client registration: Claims Solariskun is taken.
Steam community search: Agree with Steam website (http://steamcommunity.com/actions/Se...riskun&x=7&y=2)
Old 01-17-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
Amander

Your Steam account name and your Steam community name are two entirely different things. Just create your Steam account, you'll get to choose a community name later. Be happy, this is for your security. You know, your Steam community name is public. Fellow players see it, you can give it to everyone you want to talk with. Your Steam account name is a part of your Steam account login. Never tell it anyone. Never ever ever ever. Except the Steam support maybe, but they're official.

As for registration on the Steam website, didn't you tell it didn't work? Is it just possible that it returns you "Captcha wrong" before even checking if the name is there or not? Just pick ANY name you can remember and pick a community public name later.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:51 AM   #11
Wertoret

put some really strange name as ACCOUNT NAME then later go to the community tab and change you COMMUNITY NAME which ca be repeated and will be shown to other players.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:55 AM   #12
thejadefalcon

Quote:
Your Steam account name and your Steam community name are two entirely different things. Just create your Steam account, you'll get to choose a community name later. Be happy, this is for your security. You know, your Steam community name is public. Fellow players see it, you can give it to everyone you want to talk with. Your Steam account name is a part of your Steam account login. Never tell it anyone. Never ever ever ever. Except the Steam support maybe, but they're official.
... ... ... well... fuuuuuuuuuuuuu- If that's the case, that really should be made clear on the registration page. -_-

Quote:
As for registration on the Steam website, didn't you tell it didn't work? Is it just possible that it returns you "Captcha wrong" before even checking if the name is there or not? Just pick ANY name you can remember and pick a community public name later.
I've clicked the check availablity button repeatedly. Just ran a test though. Claims my account name is available. Wut.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:57 AM   #13
Amander

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadefalcon View Post
... ... ... well... fuuuuuuuuuuuuu- If that's the case, that really should be made clear on the registration page. -_-

I've clicked the check availablity button repeatedly. Just ran a test though. Claims my account name is available. Wut.
Just get yourself any name. For the sake of account security, a complicated one is better than an easy one, but it doesn't matter that much (a long password is quite enough) and pick a public name later. As for "They should have made it clear", there's a suggestion forum
Old 08-08-2011, 06:41 AM   #14
olgolgolg333

L4D

why I cant log in on L4D? Login to Steam failed.
Either the specified account does not exist, or the password was wrong.
Please check your account name and password and try again.
I have right account and password.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips