Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Arx Fatalis

Old 01-18-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
Hendar23

Difficulty drawing spell runes

Is it just me, or is it incredibly difficult to draw the spell runes? I usually take me about ten or more attempts before the gesture registers. The basic side slash is the only one I can do first time. The rest seem really random. I try all sorts of little variations of the motion, but in the end it just seems to work when it feels like it.

I never had a problem with Black & White gestures.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Teronfel

I have played for 6 hours but i still don't understand how to cast spells,
it seems really strange.
Teronfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Hendar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teronfel View Post
I have played for 6 hours but i still don't understand how to cast spells,
it seems really strange.
Well I know what to do, I just have great difficulty doing it.

Last edited by Hendar23: 01-18-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Hendar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
Teronfel

Ok,i tried to understand how to do it,i googled it and i watched some videos

so you click ignite,you see the runes at the top right of the screen and you draw them.I actually did it a few times but it seems that most of the times the game or the system or i don't know what doesn't recognize them.

Does anyone else has this problem? I'm using win 7
Teronfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Hendar23

That's my problem. Most of the time it doesn't recognize the gesture. At first I thought I was just drawing them wrong but every tenth to twentieth attempt it will recognize the rune successfully. Very frustrating.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
MokahTGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendar23 View Post
That's my problem. Most of the time it doesn't recognize the gesture. At first I thought I was just drawing them wrong but every tenth to twentieth attempt it will recognize the rune successfully. Very frustrating.
Yes, I'm having this issue as well. I'm using WinXp so it's not the OS. This issue coupled with the fact that the game is running animations so fast that everything looks like it's running in fast forward makes the game completely unplayable.

Just not acceptable.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
Hendar23

Well I'm using my original CD from way back with the 1.21 patch. I'm not having any speed issuse. I did play it a bit when it was first released and I have a vague memory of having the same problem drawing runes. Maybe the game is just bastard hard?
Old 04-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
saint-yesod

Yeah I think it's only a matter of difficulty, it's probably not a bug. I think the authors maybe wanted it this way to show us that casting magic is so damn hard...
saint-yesod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:32 AM   #9
Razoride

I just got the game yesterday and I'm noticing it too.

And how does drawing the same symbols 5+ times equal difficulty? All I have so far is ignite, and it takes forever for me to light a torch. lol

I couldn't imagine trying to cast an offensive spell during combat.

Don't get me wrong. I'm loving the game so far. But it does feel kind of wonky.

Last edited by Razoride: 04-30-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Razoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
MokahTGS

Pretty sure a console controller is what it needed to draw the runes well. The youtube videos of guys casting spells do it flawlessly every time. That tells me it works differently on XBox..

grrr....
Old 09-28-2011, 12:11 AM   #11
Joshyjess

I started playing the game today, and I also noticed that it was pretty hard to get the magic to work.
BUT, after a while, I started to get the hang of it. The game is extremely sensitive to making sure you do it just right. I recently picked up the rune that allows me to cast fireballs, and that third symbol is the one that was giving me the most trouble (it's kind of like a "Z", but not exactly. I finally realized that when I was doing the second line in the symbol (the short one that connects the two longer lines), that I was usually drawing it back towards the left side (kind of like drawing a "z", but once I figured that it actually needed to go more towards the right side of the screen, I started getting it much more often. Now I can usually get the whole spell right about 4 out of 6 tries.
Be certain to pay close attention to the smallest nuances, because the game picks up on them, and doesn't recognize the spell.

Also, don't forget that you can "store" up to 3 spells to be used quickly during combat.
Basically, as you are drawing the symbols for the spell, make sure you hold down the left Shift button the whole time. If you get the spell correct, it will store if for you (it will show a small symbol on the bottom left side of the screen for every successful spell you do (up to 3).
To cast these spells during combat, simply press the 1,2 or 3 button (while you weapon is drawn), and it will execute the spell. This allows you to use a few spells during combat, without having to worry about drawing the symbols correctly.

I can't say that I'm crazy about the magic system in the game, but at least I'm starting to get to the point where it's not driving me nuts.

Just keep practicing, and pay attention to the smallest details, and you should be able to improve your success rate quite a bit.
Joshyjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #12
Elric

Can you use an xbox controller with the PC game?
Elric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #13
tysmod99

The trick is to take drawing spells slow and not fast. Then get faster at drawing them as you get better. You can also save a spell by hold CTRL+SHIFT for later use. So you don't have to draw out new spells every time when you're in a fight.
tysmod99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
draconisnox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teronfel View Post
Ok,i tried to understand how to do it,i googled it and i watched some videos

so you click ignite,you see the runes at the top right of the screen and you draw them.I actually did it a few times but it seems that most of the times the game or the system or i don't know what doesn't recognize them.

Does anyone else has this problem? I'm using win 7
No you just suck at drawing runes. Its not exact, but it is precise. You lack manual dexterity enough to draw even lines with a mouse. Nuff said, and the game will say it too.
draconisnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
foocy.toocy

I have to agree with Joshyjess, it seems that one Z looking rune that can be seen as 3 others will give you most trouble.

edit: I hardly doubt you need much 'dexterity' to draw these simple runes.
foocy.toocy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Arx Fatalis