Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 01-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
rocklegend0407

Problem on Startup Civ V

This is my first Civilizations game. This may be an easy fix solved in the past games, but being a beginner, I don't know where to start.

For 2 weeks I've played Civ V with no problems. 3 days after purchase and playing I added 2Gb of ram to my system. My game was flawless after that. Today I tried to enter the game and suddenly it does not work.

After double-clicking the Sid Meier's Civilization V icon, the screen pops up "Preparing to launch Sid Meier's Civilization V." I click play with DirectX 10/11. After that nothing happens. My computer just sits there and makes no progress in loading the game up in a normal start up procedure.

The only thing that is different from the last time I played Civ V is I installed and uninstalled World of Warcraft. After realizing it was too expensive to play I deleted the program within a few days. Could installing and uninstalling WOW really make Civ V not start up?

I've also tried all my other Steam games and they work great, so I know there is no problem with Steam. It seems to be Civ V.

How can I fix this problem because I am hooked and addicted and I need my daily dose!!!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
Eli's_Revenge

Try this.

Right click Civ 5 -> Properties -> Local files -> View integrity of game cache.

If that don't work you might want to try running it in a lower directx level.

Try: Right click -> Properties -> Set launch options -> type "-dxlevel 90"

If after a reinstall you are still having problems, try setting "-safe" as the launch option. This will reset video settings, and will be at a very low resolution.
Eli's_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
rocklegend0407

I completed your first 2 recommendations, and the game loaded up normally. I do have school now so I can't try to play the game, but the good news it that the game loaded up!

Thanks so much Eli's_revenge!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #4
Neakrase1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli's_Revenge View Post
Try this.

Right click Civ 5 -> Properties -> Local files -> View integrity of game cache.

If that don't work you might want to try running it in a lower directx level.

Try: Right click -> Properties -> Set launch options -> type "-dxlevel 90"

If after a reinstall you are still having problems, try setting "-safe" as the launch option. This will reset video settings, and will be at a very low resolution.
Eli, what OS is this? I am running Vista and those options don't come up under Properties for me. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
Eli's_Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neakrase1 View Post
Eli, what OS is this? I am running Vista and those options don't come up under Properties for me. Thanks!
I meant under the Steam properties when you right click a game in the library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklegend0407 View Post
I completed your first 2 recommendations, and the game loaded up normally. I do have school now so I can't try to play the game, but the good news it that the game loaded up!

Thanks so much Eli's_revenge!!!
No problem mate
Eli's_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
hollywooddchi

Angry Same problem here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklegend0407 View Post
This is my first Civilizations game. This may be an easy fix solved in the past games, but being a beginner, I don't know where to start.

(On soapbox)
For 2 weeks I've played Civ V with no problems. 3 days after purchase and playing I added 2Gb of ram to my system. My game was flawless after that. Today I tried to enter the game and suddenly it does not work.

After double-clicking the Sid Meier's Civilization V icon, the screen pops up "Preparing to launch Sid Meier's Civilization V." I click play with DirectX 10/11. After that nothing happens. My computer just sits there and makes no progress in loading the game up in a normal start up procedure.

The only thing that is different from the last time I played Civ V is I installed and uninstalled World of Warcraft. After realizing it was too expensive to play I deleted the program within a few days. Could installing and uninstalling WOW really make Civ V not start up?

I've also tried all my other Steam games and they work great, so I know there is no problem with Steam. It seems to be Civ V.

How can I fix this problem because I am hooked and addicted and I need my daily dose!!!
I too have the same problem after the update. I've had Civ 5 running on DX 11 flawlessly from the first day the game was released until several days ago. I've validated files with one error. The system downloads a file. Start the game. An installation update begins then the launcher appears. I select DX11 and theeennn..... zippo! nada! nilch!

I then completely removed the program and reinstalled from disc. Tried again. same problem. 1 file doesn't validate and Civ V DX 11 doesn't load. (keep in mind, this game worked flawlessly for months!) Civ 5 DX 9 also will not work as I get an APPCRASH from ntdll.dll.

My setup is a bit unique. I'm running Server 2008 R2 x64 as a suped-up Win 7 workstation to run SQL Server, etc.. Every game I've wanted to play (except Dungeon Keeper!) has worked without a hitch.

I'm stumped... This sucks and I now feel for those who haven't had the game working at all for all this time. Whichever is the cause, a Steam error or a Firaxis patch problem, I don't care. Please fix this once and for all!
(Off soapbox)
Old 04-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
setsunaluvr

Same issue here. Game ran fine on DX 11 until sometime this week, then it stopped working. All my other games run fine in DX 11 mode. DX 9 mode works fine. When I run DX 11, I don't even get an error message, it just fails to run. My game cache is intact, and my drivers are up to date. Any help would be appreciated.
setsunaluvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series