Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Matt675

How to put a game on a flash drive?

I dragged the folder from steamapps onto my flashdrive of the game DEFCON, but when i try to play it on various computers the launch window opens but it remains a black screen. Does anyone know how to properly put the game DEFCON or any other small memory games onto a flash drive from steam? or is it connected to steam no matter what? i know you can play defcon offline without signing in to steam. Also what are some other good games steam or not that are small memory that are good to put on a flash drive

Old 01-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
B33 ENN

The game cannot be run independently of Steam.

The game folder must reside under the "\...\Steam\Steamapps\Common\" path to work with Steam Client program running.

You may redirect the folder location using the following method (Section 3).
B33 ENN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Matt675

theres no possible way at all to run it without steam? when i put the flash drive in and launch it without running steam it works but only on the computer its installed on
Old 01-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
TheRevanchist

Think about it. If the game can run independent of steam. Then what's stopping from you buying a game and giving it out to everybody in your neighborhood?
TheRevanchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
B33 ENN

Steam is required for authenticating the game license. Steam is a low resource application and it doesn't effect system performance in any major way.

Is there a particular reason you don't want Steam present on the system you intend to run the game on?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Matt675

well specifically for DEFCON, i can play it without launching steam it just says steam auth failed but i can still play it so there must be a way. the reason being is so i can play it at school since there's nothing to do in my video editing class. and when i said are there any other games that would be good to put on a flash drive i mean like games that are independent of steam that can be launched from a flash drive.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
wits

I believe you can run Doom and Wolfenstin 3D without Steam. Don't know what other games do the same.
wits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33 ENN View Post
The game cannot be run independently of Steam.

The game folder must reside under the "\...\Steam\Steamapps\Common\" path to work with Steam Client program running.

You may redirect the folder location using the following method (Section 3).
About your post at that link, you mention this is not supported by XP, it is, you just need the resource kit: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en using linkd.exe, or you can use Junction.
damaged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #9
B33 ENN

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaged View Post
About your post at that link, you mention this is not supported by XP, it is, you just need the resource kit: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en using linkd.exe, or you can use Junction.
Cool

I shall look that over and update. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
Mr.Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33 ENN View Post
Steam is required for authenticating the game license. Steam is a low resource application and it doesn't effect system performance in any major way.

Is there a particular reason you don't want Steam present on the system you intend to run the game on?
not on a gaming comp no. but when I have to use my craptop (lol see what I did there, aren't I clever ) when away, steam does cause noticeable slowdown, I wish in the situation I could run CS 1.6 without it.
Mr.Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
B33 ENN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Big View Post
not on a gaming comp no. but when I have to use my craptop (lol see what I did there, aren't I clever ) when away, steam does cause noticeable slowdown, I wish in the situation I could run CS 1.6 without it.
Okay, I have never run Steam on a... top before so i didn't know that. Will keep that in mind.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #12
Matt675

anyone?
Old 01-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
B33 ENN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt675 View Post
anyone?
1. You could install Steam on you school PC (not saving your login info for auto sign-in).

2. You could try to have a copy of the Steam folder on the USB stick with only DEFCON under "Steamapps" and try running it on the school PC as a portable program (i.e. Steam installed on USB drive but running on the school PC).

That's all I can suggest.

Last edited by B33 ENN: 01-21-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #14
tko_illusi0n

This is easily done, and you don't need steam on the host computer.

This only seems to work with some games. It works with Defcon.

Copy the steamapps folder onto the flash drive,
then go back to the steam root folder, and copy the "steam.dll" to the game's folder on the flash drive.

I also copy the .nfc file of the game, which is found in the steamapps root menu. (I believe that's the extension.)

Hope this helps a little.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips