Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Rusty_S85

Steam wont start in offline mode

Ok this has happened two times when I was away from home and had no internet connection. Before these past two times I would start steam up it would say no internet was found what would you like to do. I click on start in offline mode and everything was fine. These past two times I have done the same thing but now steam wont start. It tells me this exact message after I click "start in offline mode"

"could not connect to Steam network. This could be due to a problem with your Internet connection, or with the Steam network. Please visit www.steampowered.com for more info."

Now I tried everything but steam works fine when I am at home and used to work fine going to offline mode when there was no internet connection. I dont know if there was some update tos team or what this just started all of a sudden without me making any changes. I did notice that for some reason steam started starting up on its own when the computer was started which I never had it setup to. So I just unchecked that dont know if that is the reason but I want to resolve this issue before I go visit family again this saturday and I am stuck watching movies or listening to music again because steam tells me it couldnt connect to the Steam network when I click on start in offline mode.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
potato88

Mine just stared doing this a few days ago aswell, when it had no problem starting in offline mode previously. Really starting to annoy me, have to tether my iphone then start steam then go offline
Old 01-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Rusty_S85

I just tried it just now after turning the auto start on startup off. I closed steam out like I usually do then shut down my wifi connection double clicked on steam said no connection found clicked on the start in offline mode and it worked fine. But I will be royally jarateed if come saturday when I go back over there and it does the same thing again cause it sucks when all your games are steam based and you cant play it cause it wont go into offline mode.

Hopefully I fixed it but I still will be up for ideas on what could cause this as well as waiting for a reply from the tech support I sent off before I messed around with steam more.
Rusty_S85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
B33 ENN

When you know you are going to be using Steam without the net, just switch it to Offline mode beforehand and it should work next time whether you have a connection present or not.

Usually, this happens when it hasn't been previously prepped and it starts up and detects some access making it think there is internet available, but of course there isn't and then it gives you that error.
B33 ENN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Drolfle

I am having the same problem. Me being willing to buy games from steam was knowing I could still play the games I purchased if I did not have an online account or if I have trouble with my connection. That is not what is happening.

If someone finds a fix other than setting steam to go offline while I am online please post the solution.
Drolfle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Rusty_S85

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33 ENN View Post
When you know you are going to be using Steam without the net, just switch it to Offline mode beforehand and it should work next time whether you have a connection present or not.

Usually, this happens when it hasn't been previously prepped and it starts up and detects some access making it think there is internet available, but of course there isn't and then it gives you that error.
Well all my games I played in offline mode before. It wasnt till I got Left 4 Dead 2 installed on my computer in December after getting it for christmas did my offline mode stop working. Before then I never had to log into offline mode before hand. I would go over to relatives house without internet connection, start up the computer let it load double click the steam icon says no internet found and to try again or offline mode. I clicked offline mode and it worked fine. But since I got Left 4 Dead 2 it stopped working. The sunday before last I took and tried it at home by shutting steam down and not going into offline mode. I shut my internet down after disconnecting from wifi and tried it popped up saying no internet connection found click on start in offline mode and it worked. I went to relatives house again on Saturday later that week and low and behold its doing the same thing still.

Steam finally got back to me on the issue after sending in a diagnosis report and they told me that the most common is not saving your log in data and to test it out by shutting internet down. Well I am getting very frustrated with steam because I told their support that I tested it at home and it works great like it always have but the moment I go over there its no go.

As far as starting offline mode before going, that doesnt work either because if I log off into offline mode and then shut steam down and shut my laptop down when I restart and reopen steam it brings up the same icon asking if I want to try again or start in offline mode. I just tried it here to verify it brought it up and it does even without internet connection and you were in offline mode.

The very strange thing though like I told the tech guys on steam support is that I even clicked the quit button instead of the offline mode button when it kept giving me that error message. When I clicked quit it popped up with the same message telling me

"could not connect to Steam network. This could be due to a problem with your Internet connection, or with the Steam network. Please visit www.steampowered.com for more info."

I dont see why I should get that pop up when I hit quit cause I didnt authroized it to connect or go into offline mode but to quit. In anycase I will have to wait till I go over there again and ill have to try the offline mode first and see if that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolfle View Post
I am having the same problem. Me being willing to buy games from steam was knowing I could still play the games I purchased if I did not have an online account or if I have trouble with my connection. That is not what is happening.

If someone finds a fix other than setting steam to go offline while I am online please post the solution.
That is my biggest beef with the system, youd think even if the game wasnt updated it should still play in offline mode since you bought the game.

Last edited by Rusty_S85: 02-01-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Rusty_S85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips