Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series

Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
Paulusnl

GTA IV - Independence FM

I'm having issues setting up Independence FM. I've been googling a lot already, although none of the solutions posted on the internet worked for me.

This is my setup:
Windows 7 64Bit
iTunes 10.0.1.56
Windows Media Player (Newest version)

NOTE: I know about the scan stuff in-game, so it's not a issues related to that as I've clicking that option many times while testing

So, I copied some music to the following directory:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\User Music

I've tried to put MP3 files in there, as well shortcuts to the file and even to the folder where the file is located. None of this worked.

After searching around on the web I found out people putting their music into:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\User Music

I pasted a MP3 file in here, did a scan in-game and a new file was created: userfile.dat which content is:

Code:
C:\Users\Paul\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\User Music\\05 Crush.mp3
As you can see it pics the song out of my AppData folder, but it's using the other file location. As you would say, be sure the MP3 file is in that folder as well and it would be okay, but when I open this location:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\User Music\\05 Crush.mp3

It says that the location is not available, however, when I open:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\User Music\05 Crush.mp3

it plays the MP3 file (double backslash removed). So I tried editing the userfile.dat file, with the correct location, but that didn't work either.

Is this some kind of bug, or am I doing something wrong? I hope somebody can help me out with this issue.

Paul

Old 01-25-2011, 05:17 AM   #2
Paulusnl

I've got an update on this:

I deleted all of the files in both folders. Made a folder on my D:\ partition named Music and did put the song in there. I've created a shortcut to D:\Music in both of the folders (Documents and AppData). After doing a complete scan in-game new files are being created in my AppData folder:

cpuinfo.txt
userfile.dat
usertracks.dat

When I open userfile.dat in notepad I get the following content:
Code:
D:\Music\05 Crush.mp3
This file actually exists, however, I don't hear anything besides commericals in-game with even the Mode put on Sequential.

My second thought was, maybe I should copy these 3 files to my Documents folder as well (as it doesn't create the files there), but again, no success.

Hope anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong here, since GTA IV actually detects the songs and writes the correct path into the userfile.dat file.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Scipizoa

this radio station seems very buggy along with the rest of the game, unlike you i added over 1k of mp3's tob the gta music folder and complete scanned them in, and 5 mins into listening to one track while in game, the game crashes.
Scipizoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
bmxjumperc

I was able to do it first try my file types are .m4a, they are in the folder
Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\User Music
bmxjumperc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
Skorpion

Unrelated, but does doing a complete scan instead of a quick scan make it lag less? I get a noticeable drop in framerate on independence FM compared to the in-game radio.
Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
sorrowofwind

I installed the game from steam and it doesn't even have the rockstar folder in my document...
sorrowofwind is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series