Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Space series

Old 01-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
Brom

AA in Dead Space 1

I noticed right off the bat a number of jaggies in DS1, but it got really bad when I got to the second level of your suit. The jaggies make this look like a 2005 game.

I've seen alot of conflicting remarks on the AA in this game- that it doesn't really support it and forcing it internally doesn't help either. It's odd, since I got this on the PC from that Gamespot comparison on how much better this looks on the PC. Many others say that as well, but I don't know. Plus, my game seemingly looks worse than many of the PC screenshots I've seen, even ones meant to illustrate the jaggies.

Here's where I've seen it at it's worst: http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/1705/dsaat.png

All of the metal components on your suit have severe jaggies, and there's likewise barely any textures on it, and that machine in the background has virtually no detail.

People have remarked how this was just upscaled to the PC- does that mean it was downgraded in any way graphically?

I guess it might just be that this game wasn't entirely up to par even in late 08- when the opening cutscene popped up, I immediately thought the background with the asteroids and the planet looking like cardboard cutouts was a graphical issue (along with some weird lighting outlines on character models), but that really is just how it looks.

Last edited by Brom: 01-25-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
MrXGamer

Um are you really playing at 800x600? Then of course you'll get jaggies, in-game AA works fine for me.

Here's my screenshot:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/3025/ds2bn.jpg

Crystal clear image.
MrXGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Brom

Yeah, adjusting the resolution did seem to help somewhat- all the way to the right, and it looks like this now: http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/820/dsaa2.png

The textures still look pretty barren though. Not as detailed as your screenshots. And that background machine still looks really off.

I also had a problem with pixelated shadow edges, but those seem less apparent now too.
Brom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
Alienware Gamer

Thumbs up

AA is fully supported on the following Nvidia cards: GTX470/480/570/580 with the latest 266.58 WHQL drivers & DS1 looks a lot better with these enabled
Alienware Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
StingingVelvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienware Gamer View Post
AA is fully supported on the following Nvidia cards: GTX470/480/570/580 with the latest 266.58 WHQL drivers & DS1 looks a lot better with these enabled
Exciting... gonna try it on 2 right now.
StingingVelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
Psycho101

AA is supported, but unless you know how to use nVidia Inspector and also know the exact compatibility code to use it's not accessable. AA works on any Fermi based card, and by all accounts on some older cards too.

Might seem like minor details, but anything requiring as many steps as that to get working, isn't exactly "fully supported".

The AA support has also been reported by some, especially at Guru3D to blur the game in some scenes. I've experienced this, seems to happen when entering some rooms with certain lighting/lighting effects. Performance also isn't great, probably due to it being a brute force driver AA method. I get better frame rates playing downsampled 3360x2100 with Ambient Occlusion enabled than I do with 8xAA and no AO at plain 1680x1050.

Last edited by Psycho101: 01-25-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Psycho101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
StingingVelvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
AA is supported, but unless you know how to use nVidia Inspector and also know the exact compatibility code to use it's not accessable. AA works on any Fermi based card, and by all accounts on some older cards too.

Might seem like minor details, but anything requiring as many steps as that to get working, isn't exactly "fully supported".

The AA support has also been reported by some, especially at Guru3D to blur the game in some scenes. I've experienced this, seems to happen when entering some rooms with certain lighting/lighting effects. Performance also isn't great, probably due to it being a brute force driver AA method. I get better frame rates playing downsampled 3360x2100 with Ambient Occlusion enabled than I do with 8xAA and no AA at plain 1680x1050.
Does it use the STALKER profile? That sucker is a performance beast and causes blur at times.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
Psycho101

Nope, seems it's a custom string. I'm guessing they put in some leg work due to DS2's iminent release.

The string isn't listed by the normal means (hitting Scan Predefined Profiles for info) and needs to be entered manually. The string is
Quote:
0x004030C0
To get any AA settings you want to apply, you also need to set "Antialiasing - Behavior Flags" to "None as the default is "Treat 'Override any application setting' as 'Application-controlled'". You can then set AA in the control pannel or via Inspector.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #10
StingingVelvet

Quote:
Nope, seems it's a custom string. I'm guessing they put in some leg work due to DS2's iminent release.

The string isn't listed by the normal means (hitting Scan Predefined Profiles for info) and needs to be entered manually. The string is

To get any AA settings you want to apply, you also need to set "Antialiasing - Behavior Flags" to "None as the default is "Treat 'Override any application setting' as 'Application-controlled'". You can then set AA in the control pannel or via Inspector.
Thanks for this, worked like a charm in Dead Space 2... game looks much better!
Old 01-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
Psycho101

Cool, no problem.

How is the blur? Have you noticed any? I'm hoping not, but as the first game ran fine 3360x2100 Downsampled, I'm sure I'll be OK with DS2 either way.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #12
StingingVelvet

Quote:
Cool, no problem.

How is the blur? Have you noticed any? I'm hoping not, but as the first game ran fine 3360x2100 Downsampled, I'm sure I'll be OK with DS2 either way.
I don't really notice it... maybe really subtle at times, but nothing as bad as say MLAA. It's not the truest AA I have ever seen though, you definitely see some underlying shimmer, but still it looks ten times better than the supposed in-game AA.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #13
Psycho101

Aye, the in game AA is definitely a joke

Good to know, thanks. Have you tried any of the super sampling or mixed modes? Depending on your card, 2x2 Super Sampling should be possible, or maybe 8xS (1x2SS + 4xMSAA) might give better results. The newer SGSSAA modes might also work well. They can be accessed under SS Transparency, although SGSSAA will be applied to the whole scene. Have a play and see if you find a better setting you like.

Just have to wait a few more days and I'll get to see for myself.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
MultiVaC

Yeah, I use Nvidia Inspector for it as well. Great program, I would recommend it to anyone with some tweaking aptitude. The 0x004030C0 string works great for both games. It seems to be a little bit better in Dead Space 1, though.
MultiVaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #15
StingingVelvet

Quote:
Aye, the in game AA is definitely a joke

Good to know, thanks. Have you tried any of the super sampling or mixed modes? Depending on your card, 2x2 Super Sampling should be possible, or maybe 8xS (1x2SS + 4xMSAA) might give better results. The newer SGSSAA modes might also work well. They can be accessed under SS Transparency, although SGSSAA will be applied to the whole scene. Have a play and see if you find a better setting you like.

Just have to wait a few more days and I'll get to see for myself.
I haven't messed with SSAA since nHancer went AWOL... I'm assuming there is a way to do it with Incpector, so I will have to google it.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Space series