Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Monday Night Combat

Old 01-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
TomC.

Inviting friends to join game?

I've seen a couple of other threads with similar topics... but here goes anyways...

My mate and I just brought MNC today, but we cannot for the life of us figure out how to get in a game together.

Server not recognised.
Don't have DLC.

If I make a private game with a password - Served not recognised.

If I make a public game - My mate can't see it in the game list.

If I make a LAN game - Server not recognised.

Why is the front end to this game so hideously UN user friendly?

Why is there no built-in friend list/invite system?

Why can't I just create a game, invite my mate, and start playing?

I'm afraid I'm not very technically minded when it comes to PC's, so asking me to open various ports is like asking a camel to juggle with fire.

Is there an easy way I've overlooked? Can someone explain a method how I can just do straight up co-op with my buddy?

Seriously ****ed off.

Yours kindly,

Tom.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
browen20

I'm having pretty much the same problems
browen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
TomC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browen20 View Post
I'm having pretty much the same problems
Game looks good, decent reviews, reasonably priced.

But at this point in time I'm thinking it was a waste of £10. I have over an hour and a half 'played' time, but I haven't actually managed to get into a game with my mate yet.

Unless I've missed a simpler, more obvious 'party up' or invite system - this is shockingly poor.
TomC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
madcap

Don't have DLC. = The server hasn't updated to the latest version yet.

If I make a public game - My mate can't see it in the game list. = A lot of people have this problem. Make sure you're forwarding ports correctly

Why is there no built-in friend list/invite system? = Use the steam menu. When you get asked for a password, just type in anything.

What I do when I want to play with my friends is one of us picks a server that has plenty of open spots. Then the rest of us join that server.
madcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
TomC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcap View Post
Don't have DLC. = The server hasn't updated to the latest version yet.

If I make a public game - My mate can't see it in the game list. = A lot of people have this problem. Make sure you're forwarding ports correctly

Why is there no built-in friend list/invite system? = Use the steam menu. When you get asked for a password, just type in anything.

What I do when I want to play with my friends is one of us picks a server that has plenty of open spots. Then the rest of us join that server.
Sigh... I knew opening ports would be mentioned.

Why should I have to open ports to play a game though?

I've used the Steam menu, that doesnt work either.

For a game that is so heavily geared around multi-player, the front end is absolutely awful. Something like L4D2 would be so much better, where you can invite in-game.

Nothing works at the moment.

Everything should work out of the box, so to speak.

But I guess it has just been released, and have to wait and see for all these 'beta servers' to go away and some patches, then I might be able to actually play - Otherwise I've just been screwed out of a tenner.
TomC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Jaminga

Inviting friends

Same problem.

A friend and I bought the game to play together. When either makes a game, we can't join.

I guess i'll contact steam to see if we can get our money back since there doesn't look like a solution.

I guess i was expecting a way to invite friends once you make a game.

Very poor launch for this game.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
needforspeed

Find an empty server and tell your friend to join it; it's really not that hard guys. Wait 2-3 minutes and it will start filling up.

It's a $15 game...you can't be expecting features from a $50 game. Way too high of expectations...
needforspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
Jaminga

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Find an empty server and tell your friend to join it; it's really not that hard guys. Wait 2-3 minutes and it will start filling up.

It's a $15 game...you can't be expecting features from a $50 game. Way too high of expectations...

I don't want the server to fill up, I want to play with friends only. I thought that was part of what was advertised, coop play.

Just want to be able to play the game with a friend, didn't think this would be an issue.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
madcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC. View Post
Sigh... I knew opening ports would be mentioned.

Why should I have to open ports to play a game though?

Do you plug your computer directly into your dsl/cable modem? Most likely not, otherwise you'd be limited to only ever being online with one computer at a time. You probably have a router of some type so that you can connect multiple computers to one internet connection. The technology that makes this possible requires port forwarding. If you don't like that perhaps you should plug your computer directly into your modem and not enjoy the conveniences of modern networking technology such as NAT.

Back to your original question...

You can play the game just fine right now on other people's servers. You want to run your own server, that is the only way you're going to be able to set up a game on your terms. People who run servers deal with port forwarding. You can do the minuscule amount of work to set up your own server under your own terms or you can play on other people's servers under their terms.
madcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
Jewbacon

I don't understand how people expect to host correctly without any networking knowledge.

I expect that you're behind a firewall and router, in which case the easiest thing for you to do would be to turn off the firewall completely and place your static IP or MAC address into the router's DMZ host.

Portforward.com is a great resource for you if you're new to this, or you can PM me and I can explain it in detail or we can utilize the program Teamviewer and I can assist you directly in doing it.

My game host and joins flawlessly using methods such as this, but once you are done playing, remove yourself from the DMZ.
Jewbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
Jaminga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewbacon View Post
I don't understand how people expect to host correctly without any networking knowledge.

I expect that you're behind a firewall and router, in which case the easiest thing for you to do would be to turn off the firewall completely and place your static IP or MAC address into the router's DMZ host.

Portforward.com is a great resource for you if you're new to this, or you can PM me and I can explain it in detail or we can utilize the program Teamviewer and I can assist you directly in doing it.

My game host and joins flawlessly using methods such as this, but once you are done playing, remove yourself from the DMZ.
lol I expect to host the same way i can host most of my games, you click 'create game' and then 'invite'. L4D & borderlands come to mind. Don't like those examples i can think of free web games that let you do that as well.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #12
thezeronumber

To be honest, i too thought the system was also going to be like that of L4D/L4D2: Create a lobby, make it friends only, invite them along, and then search for a free server which has good connection/is empty.

I don't mind hosting your own game but it does feel a bit clumsy and not an obvious thing to achieve. If you create a game and try to invite anyone, most of the time it's not detectable/viewable on the server listing and it's not possible to connect through Steam as it constantly says "server not responding".

I assume you have to follow a tutorial or something in order to get this working correctly. I've not looked for one yet but it's on my to-do list! Just hope there is one to find because i really want to play with/against friends. D:
thezeronumber is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Monday Night Combat