Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #16
nabokovfan87
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Reputation: 308
Posts: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch_ME View Post
Great stuff.

But I still like new threads to be created in the Suggestions. It brings a refresh of debate over a needed feature. At least I feel this way.

I, like many, feel that it isn't really worth it to jump into a thread that has had 1,000 posts already in it.

But I just have to say, Great job organizing it that way and finding the threads.

I vote you for President of Steam for 1 Day.
I agree that posts and threads can send a topic off into a completely different direction as well as threads being comeplete impennetrable after 30 or so posts. I don't think the intent is to make the forums a 1 topic, 1 issue, 1 thread scenario, but to simply make it easier to find things and make it so that people can quickly find a thread, or add a thread so that steam as well as the users can find them easily.

And thanks for the kind words, I imediatly started working on a campaign platform in my head... heh.
nabokovfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #17
leveller
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 429
Posts: 1,828
There are hundreds of really good suggestions in many pages of suggestion posts, how are you prioritising what gets added to your thread?
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #18
nabokovfan87
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Reputation: 308
Posts: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller View Post
There are hundreds of really good suggestions in many pages of suggestion posts, how are you prioritising what gets added to your thread?
There are dozens of threads that say "add game x" and so forth, I will lump all those as the "Add this game to steam" thread, a lot of topics are features already in steam, some are things that just don't make sense, but hopefully the list will have everything. It takes time to add everything to the list, which is why it isn't complete.

What is currently on the list is either most replies, most views, or just recently posted and I caught it and added it.

As I said, if you have anything that needs to be added, post it below.

Last edited by nabokovfan87: 02-01-2011 at 08:43 PM.
nabokovfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #19
nabokovfan87
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Reputation: 308
Posts: 1,430
Added more links, can someone sticky this thing already?
nabokovfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #20
leveller
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 429
Posts: 1,828
For this list to be of any use you need to categorise it.

ie.

Improving Security
Trade Ins/Selling Games
Store Layout/Appearance

etc

At the moment it is harsh on the eye and an effort to see if a subject has been posted already. Also I would reduce the links down to subject naming rather than the address itself - the address means nothing and is extra clutter.

I see what you are trying to do and appreciate it, but make it usable first!

ADDED: Let me explain better:

These subjects can be merged into one subject - and by using their post headings can be made more informational:

In-Game Overlay
Fps Counter & Screen Recorder
Steam Ingame Overlay
In-Game Music Player
Steam in-game overlay volume control

ANOTHER ADD: I've just noticed you are still being selective with what you are adding to the list. Either that or you aren't being very thorough, in which case what is the point?

Last edited by leveller: 02-07-2011 at 09:43 AM.
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #21
nabokovfan87
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Reputation: 308
Posts: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller View Post
For this list to be of any use you need to categorise it.

ie.

Improving Security
Trade Ins/Selling Games
Store Layout/Appearance

etc

At the moment it is harsh on the eye and an effort to see if a subject has been posted already. Also I would reduce the links down to subject naming rather than the address itself - the address means nothing and is extra clutter.

I see what you are trying to do and appreciate it, but make it usable first!

ADDED: Let me explain better:

These subjects can be merged into one subject - and by using their post headings can be made more informational:

In-Game Overlay
Fps Counter & Screen Recorder
Steam Ingame Overlay
In-Game Music Player
Steam in-game overlay volume control

ANOTHER ADD: I've just noticed you are still being selective with what you are adding to the list. Either that or you aren't being very thorough, in which case what is the point?
You can read the replies before to find out what is on and not on, why it is on and so forth. As I said, I just haven't had time the past two weekends to update it (had labs at school, a family emergency, superbowl this weekend, etc.).

One person said to alphabetize it, so I did, you say to categorize it (something I had already said I was planning on doing, but for the time being I will alphabetize it).

Moreover, what is the point of updating and maintainging a list that is constantly burried at page 3 within the hour when in all honesty it is useful for the purposes of this section of the forums and would actually be a 2 minute "thing", the issue is no mods have seen it or they just don't care.

I get what you are saying and appreciate the comments, but please read the 5 or so replies before you try to accuse me of things or say my work is crap.
nabokovfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #22
Amander
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 561
Posts: 8,142
Wow, good work. Someone should sticky it.
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #23
leveller
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 429
Posts: 1,828
yeah don't get me wrong nabo, this needs doing, but as one example I dont see the threads asking for a mobile/app version of Steam. And youwant me to reply to your thread to tell you what to add?

If you do a job, do it well. I don't think they'll sticky it until they see more dedication than a few cut n pastes now and again.

Added: and until you make it easier to scan to see if a subject has been posted your thread won't make a difference because people won't be bothered to scan down it.
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #24
CTRL ALT DEL !
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Reputation: 2452
Posts: 3,413
Perhaps listing them with numbers or letters so people can show support for ideas would be good.

eg.

A. Yes
B. No
C. Yes (add idea)
D. No (explains why)
E. etc..
CTRL ALT DEL ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:06 AM   #25
meter1060
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 121
Posts: 1,161
Yes excellent idea. Plus I would love to have peer to peer option or even a over local wifi option. Those would help out my band width so much!
meter1060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #26
nabokovfan87
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Reputation: 308
Posts: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller View Post
yeah don't get me wrong nabo, this needs doing, but as one example I dont see the threads asking for a mobile/app version of Steam. And youwant me to reply to your thread to tell you what to add?

If you do a job, do it well. I don't think they'll sticky it until they see more dedication than a few cut n pastes now and again.

Added: and until you make it easier to scan to see if a subject has been posted your thread won't make a difference because people won't be bothered to scan down it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabokovfan87 View Post
Please post below if you have something to add to the list as well,
Feel free to post the links and the topic name, it makes things much much easier if you notice a glaring omission and you link me to it, rather then just posting and saying "why isn't this list complete". I appreciate the feedback, but as I said, I have had some family issues (dad in hospital), and my mom's team was in the big game, I will get to it all, but I am only home for one day a week typically and the other day I spend doing homework and such. For instance, right now I have 30 minutes, and I am spending 10 trying to find the threads rather then just simply updating. As far as "dedication" goes, I would like to think of it as a "community" list rather then just mine.

I was humming over the idea you had to seperate things into categories, so far the obvious category would be In-Game Overlay, but for other it would be the client, in-game, the store itself, and that is it I think. Any other ones you can toss in there would be good.

I will start with that for right now. Also, just remembered, as far as a mobile version of steam, I had:

Which included the whole messaging on android/iphone. If the topic you are referring to is having actual steam games on mobile phones, then it wont work for several reasons, but mostly because it is on the dev to make a mobile version of steam and not steam itself. Perhaps it was more of a DVR-esque app where you can queue downloads, buy things and set them to start downloading an so forth. Off to searching the section for "mobile", heres to hoping I find it.
nabokovfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #27
nabokovfan87
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Reputation: 308
Posts: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRL ALT DEL ! View Post
Perhaps listing them with numbers or letters so people can show support for ideas would be good.

eg.

A. Yes
B. No
C. Yes (add idea)
D. No (explains why)
E. etc..
Can you elaborate on this, are you wanting a poll for each item (polls are done by thread so i would only be able to add one per the entire thread), or are you talking about breaking down the thread itself and the replies inside, which would make the list a little bit more difficult to read, in my opinion.
nabokovfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #28
nabokovfan87
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Reputation: 308
Posts: 1,430
Updated, off to school!
nabokovfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #29
nabokovfan87
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Reputation: 308
Posts: 1,430
Added more links, Does the categories help everyone out?

Also, Sticky?
nabokovfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #30
B33 ENN
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 5375
Posts: 5,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabokovfan87 View Post
Added more links, Does the categories help everyone out?
Wow! You have been busy Nice effort and categories are good for me. One suggestion, can you make the category font a bit smaller, I tend to be put of by some Sticky's and such that have oversized fonts and colours, makes it ditracting and looks unpro. :P but nice job anyway!
B33 ENN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.