Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka

Old 01-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
AnnonUesr

Lightbulb [Solution] New laptop - NVidia Optimus may be incorrectly using on-board graphics

Greetings!

There seem to be a tons of reports from people who can't get Magicka to open (flash then crash, etc.). Some may be legitimate bug issues; mine most definitely was not.

For some, the problem seems to be dependent software; for others, graphics cards that won't run the program. I had the same problem with my laptop, couldn't fix it using any of the solutions posted here. I've got an NVidia GT 330M graphics card; should run the program, according to specs, but for some reason the program wouldn't open. I realized that NVidia Optimus may be choosing to use on-board graphics, since Magicka isn't loaded into its "known executables" by default. Sure enough, I added Magicka.exe to the Optimus list of software requiring the graphics card, and it works like a charm.

Instructions: If you're using a newer laptop that you know has an NVidia graphics card, try checking your Optimus settings. Open the "NVIDIA Control Panel" from your start menu. On the lefthand side, under "Select a task...", open the "3D Settings" tree, and select "Manage 3D Settings". Now on the righthand panel, click the "Program Settings" tab. Under "1. Select a program...", click "Add", navigate to your \Steam\steamapps\common\magicka directory and select "Magicka.exe". Under "2. Select the preferred graphics...", choose "High-performance NVIDIA processor", then (VERY IMPORTANT) click "Apply" in the bottom right.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Last edited by AnnonUesr: 01-26-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Added instructions

Old 01-27-2011, 02:45 AM   #2
Rorin

Thanks a lot you just ruined my productive free day with cleaning and laundry!

Ok, seriuosly sticky this thread and give the guy a medal, my magicka will suddenly launch after doing this.

Is there a way to patch so the nvidia card (seems to be the GT XXXM cards?) will recognise that magicka should be run with high end graphics?

Anyway i hope this will solve the problem for all the others who can't launch at the moment.
Rorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
mrcass

Finally I got it running thanks to this thread. I really thought there wasn't any difference inbetween adding an app to the list and specifying which gpu to use, and just rightclicking the executable and choosing from there. Weird that there actually is a difference!

Anyhow, this thread made me try and it worked. Thanks! This should definitely be stickied for Nvidia Optimus users.

Last edited by mrcass: 01-27-2011 at 06:46 PM.
mrcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Skcus_Rafez

Banned
Luckily, my laptop doesn't have an onboard card :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Skcus_Rafez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
mrcass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skcus_Rafez View Post
Luckily, my laptop doesn't have an onboard card DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Yo! I dunno what you're referring to here exactly, but just to straighten out any potential questionmarks. Nvidia Optimus is a feature that switches automatically inbetween onboard graphics (less powerconsuming part for desktop use etc) and a discrete GPU (such as Nvidia GTX 425M in my case). I have two gfx components and Magicka thinks I only have the crappy Intel part, that's why we have to specify this by force.
mrcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
exanji

Thank you SOOO much!
exanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
1randomwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorin View Post
Is there a way to patch so the nvidia card (seems to be the GT XXXM cards?) will recognise that magicka should be run with high end graphics?
It's highly likely that Magicka will be included by a driver update from Nvidia in the future. That being said, it may be possible for the devs to include an installation script that puts Magicka.exe in the correct settings for Optimus.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
Ladonegro

Bump for great justice, i don't have a laptop but this will help a lot of laptop people that can't play
Ladonegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:23 AM   #9
MimeX

BUUUMP This should be stickied. Stick it. STICK IT NAO!

Got mine working because of this.
MimeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:56 AM   #10
Clan

Question. I have the problem where I can't launch Magicka. But trying this. I also can't find Magicka.exe in my steamapps/common/magicka folder... That might explain a few things. Is my only option reinstalling? Verifying gamecontent didn't help and Idunno, maybe this is ,normal? :P
Old 01-31-2011, 05:01 AM   #11
MimeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Question. I have the problem where I can't launch Magicka. But trying this. I also can't find Magicka.exe in my steamapps/common/magicka folder... That might explain a few things. Is my only option reinstalling? Verifying gamecontent didn't help and Idunno, maybe this is ,normal? :P
Well the first thing that comes to my mind - reinstall. If it doesn't work, try to link it with steam instead of magicka.exe?
MimeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #12
RoPaLoN

thank you very much!! tried posting a thread for help yesterday, but stumbled upon this thread and got it fixed! great help, worth sticking imo
Old 02-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
aim_this_way

Hi. I give you cookie.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #14
Ladonegro

come on devs stick this topic it is highly important and is helping some people that couldn't play b4 , play now
Ladonegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #15
Resisty

Windows 7 Professional
Intel i7 2.64GHz
4GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 330M

No error report, just a popup stating "Magicka Has Stopped Working" with the following details:
Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Magicka.exe
Application Version: 1.3.3.6
Application Timestamp: 4d498a5f
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdbdf
Exception Code: e0434f4d
Exception Offset: 0000b727
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

I'd really like to know what's going on.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka