Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sims 3, The

Old 01-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Ragnokak

The Sims 3 issue with 64bit systems.

Electronic Arts Support and The Sims Support do not and will not support any installation of this game on a 64 bit OS.

Not a troll, just word to the wise from someone who enjoys the game and learned the hard way.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
At The Gates

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...tegy&os=64-bit

Seems it works just fine in 64-bit systems. I ran it without any issues a while back.
At The Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
Princess Garnet

Not to belittle your claims (the game can and does have issues for some), but just to contribute to the balance of feedback with my own, I do run a 64-bit OS, and have in fact only EVER run this game on a 64-bit OS since Windows 7 BETA ranging from 2GB to 4GB to 8GB, and I've only had limited crashes (most when the game first came out, they're practically non-existent for me these days).

You're pointing out a disclaimer EA may point to, but many users do use a 64-bit OS fine as well. I think it's not so much the 64-bit itself literally, but some memory management issues or something (which is related, but just having 64-bit doesn't doom you). If you disable DEP, you're often good to go. Sometimes making the game's .exe. large address aware helps/is needed too. Sometimes neither is needed, and sometimes neither work.

It depends, but this thread would scare me away from buying, so I want to add to the balance with this. Not trying to belittle your own experiences, so hope you don't mind me doing so.
Princess Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
Kriv

Ah, it works fine. My Mrs spends hours playing the Sims 3, never crashed once. Win 7, 64bit, 6Gb Ram.
Kriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
tonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriv View Post
Ah, it works fine. My Mrs spends hours playing the Sims 3, never crashed once. Win 7, 64bit, 6Gb Ram.
Good to know, because I am going to update my computer to Win 7 64bits and 8 Gb RAM soon.
tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
Princess Garnet

That's what I'm running now. Windows 7 64-bit with 8GB RAM. No issues. I do DEP disabled though, which some have found to have been needed and helped.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
defrisselle

I've used Win 7 since the public beta 64 bit and no problems. Though I am kinda surprised, never expected it would be on steam, and jarateed, wasn't on steam when I purchased it.
defrisselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
Anach

Works fine. In fact, they have just updated the .exe to make them large address aware with the last patch. This is purely for 64bit OS with large amounts of RAM. Just leave your DEP settings for "essential Windows services". Otherwise DEP will crash the game.
Anach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:21 AM   #9
Ragnokak

I'm not advising or debating whether or not the game runs on 64bit nor if it's stability.

What I am saying is that if you contact EA Support or Sims Support and you tell them you are using 64bit OS, you get told that it is not supported and there is nothing more they can do for you.

Please save all the crash and stability issues for those threads already covering it. It doesn't make sense to spread out info if people are trying to help.

Personally, I have always run it myself on Win7x64. I have had crashing issues with the game. Some of the advice you'll find elsewhere allowed me to reduce it but never eliminate it. When I tried to contact official support I was met with a very stern and surprising wall.

I still enjoy the game, but it's not all cupcakes either.

Last edited by Ragnokak: 01-28-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Ragnokak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #10
jfunk825

Sims 3 has worked perfectly fine with no tweaking on both Vista x64 and Win7 x64 for my wife.

Not supported does NOT equal problematic.

It just means their support people won't help you. Have any of you really ever gotten help from official channels before anyway?

Here's what they'll tell you, even if you were running a supported OS:

1. Do all your windows updates.
2. Update all your hardware drivers.
3. Turn off your anti-virus.
4. Turn off everything else with a clean boot.
5. Sorry, can't help you.

It's worth sending them reports if you have problems simply so they can get data to identify any real compatibility issues, but if they actually send you an email response that tells you how to fix your problems, that means that same answer was already available on the forums anyway if you looked.
jfunk825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #11
Koros

Heh, you talk as if EA support is anything but underpaid overseas workers with canned lines and virtually no knowledge of the game. I even caught one of them using pirated software to paste his lines into live chat while trying to get some support for BC2 recently. Made my week despite the frustration. Outside forums are almost always more helpful.
Koros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #12
bewilderedronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3llian07 View Post
If you disable DEP, you're often good to go.
Running on Win7 64-bit w/ 4GB RAM. I had to disable DEP in order for the game to run reliably. Otherwise it constantly crashed. Note that if you added Sims 3 to your DEP list (instead of disabling DEP altogether), you will have to also do this for each expansion's EXE (located in Sims3 Expansion Folder\Game\Bin\).
bewilderedronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #13
uecasm

Interesting. I haven't yet tried TS3 on my W7x64 box but it was running perfectly on my old XPx64 box even with DEP enabled...
uecasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #14
Princess Garnet

I think it's more (or only) an issue on Windows Vista/Windows 7 maybe? Plus, not every system has issues with it.

On the official Sims 3 forums, people were posting up logs (not sure if they were stock logs from the game or something else) and they'd be able to tell if DEP caused the crash or if something else did.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #15
Khalistro

Hey everyone,

I've had heaps of trouble of getting "The Sims 3" working correctly on my box, which happens to be a Windows 7 installation with 4GB of RAM.
I'm running on an Intel E8400 Processor with a Nvidia 9600GT, so the specs are well above minimum and the game works fine now I've tweaked a little here and there.
My first main issue was having the game shutting down my entire machine when passing the EA Logo whilst starting the game.
My second main issue was having the game just quitting to desktop whilst playing the game in town. Creating a sim worked flawlessly, but when placing him in an appartment, the game crashed within the minute to the desktop.
Here's what I did and how I fixed it.

1st Set DEP for all the executables:
- Go to Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance Settings.
- Go to the Data Execution Prevention tab. Click on "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" and press "Add." You will now add your Sims game, expansions and Stuff Packs to the DEP exception list. Copy-and-paste these locations in the spot where it says "File Name."
Sims 3 base game: <Drivename:\><path>\Steam\steamapps\common\the sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe and <Drivename:\><path>\Steam\steamapps\common\the sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe as well, just for good measure (since this one is running all the time as well)
World Adventures: <Drivename:\><path>\Steam\steamapps\common\the sims 3\EP1\Game\Bin\TS3EP01.exe
High-End Loft Stuff: <Drivename:\><path>\Steam\steamapps\common\the sims 3\EP2\Game\Bin\TS3EP02.exe
Ambitions: <Drivename:\><path>Steam\steamapps\common\the sims 3\EP3\Game\Bin\TS3EP03.exe
2nd Set Vsync forced for all Sims executables
As in This Post, except I chose to only apply it to the above executables since I still want to control my Vsync for all other games instead of forcing it on for all applications
(These two fixed my computer from preventing to just shut down when I launched The Sims 3)

3rd "Fix" the executables for 64-bit systems
I fixed the executables with a little program that's made to help prevent issues with 64-bit system. It can be found right here
I realise the game runs fine for most of you; even with all kinds of different systems ranging from Windows 98 to Windows 7, but it took me 2 days of tinkering and trying various solutions to get The Sims 3 working properly on my machine.
So these are just the 3 things that worked for me and my machine to run the Sims 3 troublefree. I've tried various more solutions and "fixes" but those didn't help. I also know its not my system that's performing poorly because all my other games work flawlessly.

I hope this post helps someone to enjoy this great game !
Khalistro is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sims 3, The