Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka

Old 01-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
pluton814

Cool Magicka Port forward

Hello!

I was just woundering now that i have a router what i shall have for ports to make my own game in Magicka!. Would be fun considering everyone is playing with passwords!.

And also if someone wants to play sometime give me a pling! pluton814@steam!

Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
OnyxBMW

Hello!

First of all, I request respectfully that you please stop using variable sizes for your posts. It makes it rather annoying to read your post, to say the least.

Secondly, the ports you need to forward are 7331 (or whatever port you manually select) and all the steam ports and P2P ports found here.

That's not to say all of those ports are used, it's just to say once I activated the steam ones in addition to the P2P ones, I was able to host games.

Hope this helps, cheers.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
pluton814

aah ok, but when i forward 7331(or whatever). shall i use TCP or UDP or both? And what starting port and ending port shall it be?. I cant have 7331 as starting port and ending port right? ; /

// not the greatest with ports:P
Old 01-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
OnyxBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluton814 View Post
aah ok, but when i forward 7331(or whatever). shall i use TCP or UDP or both? And what starting port and ending port shall it be?. I cant have 7331 as starting port and ending port right? ; /

// not the greatest with ports:P
Don't worry. Port forwarding is a pain in the rear end on the best of days. It's hard to find someone moderately knowledgeable on it, nevermind knowing what to do specifically.

Anyways, to answer your questions. You seem to already know how to set up a static IP, and have rudimentary knowledge of forwarding ports, which is good.

For 7331/etc, I'd suggest using TCP and UDP, but that is because I do not know which one to use personally, and using both is lazier. You can attempt to experiment, or you can use both. You should be able to do a single port. If your router asks for a range, just use the start and end.

If this does not work, look up your router here and follow the instructions it gives for any game on that router when it gives a single port example. That's not to say that the ports for that game will work here, but that it will give you an easily recognizable template for how you may add ports later.

This should answer your questions, but if it doesn't, feel free to ask more or toss me a PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
Bl@ck

I opened up 7331 to TCP/UDP and I hosted fine.
Bl@ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
OnyxBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl@ck View Post
I opened up 7331 to TCP/UDP and I hosted fine.
I was able to as well if friends either IP joined or joined via friends list, but I had to manually open the P2P and Steam ports as well before other people could see my game. Just saying. You might have had UPNP work somehow, or already had the steam ports opened. Either way.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
STEVENXO

I'm currently unable to host a game properly. I forward 7331 on both TCP & UDP, and ports 27000-27030 on UDP, and now my friend can see my server name up, but authentication fails every time he tries to connect.

He also hosted the first time after forwarding every single port on the list linked in the 2nd post, and I was able to connect to him on the second try. We played a bit and his game eventually crashed, but he couldn't host anymore. He would put the server up, but it won't even show up on the server browser anymore, and he still has all the ports forwarded.

Does anyone know if the devs are working on a patch to make the multiplayer process less painful, preferably without turning my firewall into swiss cheese?
STEVENXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
OnyxBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVENXO View Post
I'm currently unable to host a game properly. I forward 7331 on both TCP & UDP, and ports 27000-27030 on UDP, and now my friend can see my server name up, but authentication fails every time he tries to connect.

He also hosted the first time after forwarding every single port on the list linked in the 2nd post, and I was able to connect to him on the second try. We played a bit and his game eventually crashed, but he couldn't host anymore. He would put the server up, but it won't even show up on the server browser anymore, and he still has all the ports forwarded.

Does anyone know if the devs are working on a patch to make the multiplayer process less painful, preferably without turning my firewall into swiss cheese?
As far as I know, your issue is you didn't do all the ports (one of the P2P ports or the TCP one from steam might be important, I don't know, however) and...well...I've noticed the server list react dreadfully slow before, honestly. Maybe it's a matter of patience for it to show up properly? I'm no expert on the P2P system, but, again, it can be slow.

Have you, for instance, hit shift tab, selected the down arrow near your friend's name, and clicked "join game" when he was hosting, to see if the issue was with the browser and not the host directly?
Old 01-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
Quatrix

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxBMW View Post
I was able to as well if friends either IP joined or joined via friends list, but I had to manually open the P2P and Steam ports as well before other people could see my game. Just saying. You might have had UPNP work somehow, or already had the steam ports opened. Either way.
I was able to host and have someone see my game with only the game port (default 7331) forwarded, and I verified in my router settings that nothing was opened up via UPnP.
Quatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
Thrymm

Is it too early to order flapjacks?
Thrymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
Amarinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatrix View Post
I was able to host and have someone see my game with only the game port (default 7331) forwarded, and I verified in my router settings that nothing was opened up via UPnP.
It probably depends on the type of router people are using. In my case other people were able to see my hosted game, but weren't able to connect to it - I could see that lots of people were trying to connect in my router logs, but they were clearly failing to... I had to open the steam ports and then it worked fine.
Amarinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
Bl@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxBMW View Post
I actually had people joining before I had 7331 opened. I had to open it for a friend to connect via IP. As for the P2P and Steam ports, I do not have those opened for my gaming machine. I have my PS3 DMZd but, it has no effect on my gaming rig. So, I don't know what's up to be honest, all of it makes little logical sense.
Bl@ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
Shockwaves

I opened up the recommended ports on the Steam port page and the port for the game itself and managed to host one game. Ever since then I've been unable to host again. I checked my firewall and the program is still in admin mode for basic and server connections. Anyone have any idea what's wrong?
Old 01-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
akanam

Ok, I just opened 7331tcp/udp 27000-27030udp and the people can now see my game in the lobby.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
daddylongs

this seems intermittent...

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka