Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Penny Arcade Adventures

Old 01-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Cpt.Calavera

too short

It took me only 4 hours to finish the first episode and I killed every enemy in the game and completed all quests.

I really liked the game so that's why I'm kinda dissapointed it's so short and to know that an episode 3 will never be made only make matters worse.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Metro

I ultimately passed on this after hearing estimations of only ~5ish hours per episode but now to hear it's even less than that with basically 100% completion? Bleh. I tried the demo and like the style it's just that I don't really like Penny Arcade. If it were the same game play and another plot line I'd probably buy 'em. Yeah it's only $3 but... eh... I have a dozen or so games backlogged as it is...
Metro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
TheTurnipKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro View Post
I ultimately passed on this after hearing estimations of only ~5ish hours per episode but now to hear it's even less than that with basically 100% completion? Bleh. I tried the demo and like the style it's just that I don't really like Penny Arcade. If it were the same game play and another plot line I'd probably buy 'em. Yeah it's only $3 but... eh... I have a dozen or so games backlogged as it is...
There's less Penny Arcade in PAA than you'd probably think. The "New Arcadia" setting is only used for game. It's actually more like a bunch of cameos. Gabe and Tycho aren't even really the main characters. They're more like your support characters as you wander the streets of New Arcadia, beating up anyone who dares to get between you and the villain who destroyed your home.
TheTurnipKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
Aionism

Welcome to episodic gaming! Have a great time!
Aionism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
Cunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTurnipKing View Post
There's less Penny Arcade in PAA than you'd probably think. The "New Arcadia" setting is only used for game. It's actually more like a bunch of cameos. Gabe and Tycho aren't even really the main characters. They're more like your support characters as you wander the streets of New Arcadia, beating up anyone who dares to get between you and the villain who destroyed your home.
Yeah, I only went reading the comics after buying the game, and I don't find them funny in the slightest, but this game is made by other people with just the same characters (one of the persons behind this game is Ron Gilbert), so it's completely different and actually fun.
Cunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
Ducon

You get 8 plus hours for 3$ and you complain? Dear lord, please tell me what games you consider worth buying (time/money ratio)?
Ducon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
Aionism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunin View Post
I don't find them funny in the slightest
Wrong.

Quote:
(one of the persons behind this game is Ron Gilbert)
Wrong.
Aionism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:46 AM   #8
TheTurnipKing

Quote:
Yeah, I only went reading the comics after buying the game, and I don't find them funny in the slightest, but this game is made by other people with just the same characters (one of the persons behind this game is Ron Gilbert), so it's completely different and actually fun.
No. Hothead designed the game. I might be mistaken, but I don't think Ron Gilbert is part of the studio, any more than Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins were, when this game was in development.

Deathspank and Penny Arcade Adventures were both more like collaborations.

Last edited by TheTurnipKing: 01-31-2011 at 07:49 AM.
TheTurnipKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 AM   #9
Cpt.Calavera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducon View Post
You get 8 plus hours for 3$ and you complain? Dear lord, please tell me what games you consider worth buying (time/money ratio)?
I never mentioned the time/value ratio, I just think 4 hours is way too short for any price. I would gladly pay 20 bucks for this game if it was 10-15 hours long because I really liked it.

But as you asked, I just bought Numen for 2,00 and it's 12+ hours long.
Cpt.Calavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
ayadew

If you want gametime go grind 100+ hours in a japanese RPG
Old 02-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
sonoftheboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayadew View Post
If you want gametime go grind 100+ hours in a japanese RPG
Or any MMO.
sonoftheboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
Eriako

I guess it's taking me longer since I'm reading every single clickable item.
Eriako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #13
Ducon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Calavera View Post
It took me only 4 hours to finish the first episode and I killed every enemy in the game and completed all quests.

I really liked the game so that's why I'm kinda dissapointed it's so short and to know that an episode 3 will never be made only make matters worse.
You clearly mention you "really liked the game" but "it took you only 4 hours to complete".Sounds like bad time/value ratio to me or my english fails me again? Other thing I dont understand is you enjoyed something but cant admit it only because it wasnt x hours.

Last edited by Ducon: 02-04-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Ducon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #14

I found it to be a good deal for such a low price honestly.
501105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #15
Squirminator2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aionism View Post
Wrong.
Actually Gilbert served as a design consultant for the game.
Squirminator2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Penny Arcade Adventures