Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Breach

Old 01-31-2011, 03:13 AM   #1
Raven1417

Let's settle this...

Original gameplay footage of Breach showed somewhat pretty decent graphics, good sound and insanely good physics.

The released version offers poorer graphics, worse sounds and physics that are not even close to what was promised.

This is not a case of "demo footage that wasn't actual gameplay footage showing a better product compared to what you get" this is a simple case of the game that was shown 10 months ago is all but a blatant lie. That's why people are upset.

Some may enjoy Breach because they didn't see the earlier footage, or maybe the price to them means it's not that big of a deal, that's fine, each to their own. Others might feel ripped off though that what was ACTUAL gameplay footage 10 months ago is not what we have here today.

Also, being an smaller style release (i.e. not from EA, Acti etc etc) means NOTHING. Look at The Ball, look at Killing Floor, or Section 8 or most of the games on Steam that are $20 or less that were made by smaller companies. You'll find most, if not all, offer what was promised and are often hidden gems. This is nothing more than the petrified horsedung that Haywood thought was a cool stone for Andy in The Shawshank Redemption.

/thread

/discussion
Old 01-31-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
uksimj

So a game is bad because it didn't meet your expectations? Here's a thought, maybe your expectations were too high?

If every developer had to meet everyones expectations, then a game would be an ultra-realistic, arcade, role-playing, real time strategy, racing shooter. Oh and the game would never get made.
uksimj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:37 AM   #3
Raven1417

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksimj View Post
So a game is bad because it didn't meet your expectations? Here's a thought, maybe your expectations were too high?

If every developer had to meet everyones expectations, then a game would be an ultra-realistic, arcade, role-playing, real time strategy, racing shooter. Oh and the game would never get made.
You mean my expectations which I stated where BASED ON ACTUAL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE FROM 10 MONTHS AGO?

I feel I need to put that last part in caps since you seem to have missed what I said.

Upset over unmet expectations based on speculation, yeah that's stupid. However my expectations, and it seems quite a few others, were based on one; what Atomic said would be in the game and two; (now this is the most important part so pay attention in case you miss it again) THE FOOTAGE OF THE ACTUAL GAME BEING PLAYED THAT WAS SHOWN 10 MONTHS AGO.
Raven1417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:42 AM   #4
uksimj

I've seen old trailers, it looks the same to me.

Last edited by uksimj: 02-03-2011 at 10:22 AM.
uksimj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:48 AM   #5
Raven1417

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksimj View Post
I've seen old footage and all I've noticed is a drop in graphics quality since then,but I'm a PC gamer who prefers content over flashy graphics... but that's just me.
Like what content? Ok, even IF we ignore the graphics which are a step down that you even acknowledge. The gameplay is slower, the physics are not what was originally shown, the controls are clunky, the sounds are poor quality...what is there that makes this game any good or even half of what they promised?
Old 01-31-2011, 04:02 AM   #6
joeldamole

Well yes we all realise the graphics arn't great but man when you have played minecraft for over 100 hours graphics don't mean a thing. Secondly yes i totally agree on the sound its way off and very repetative. I don't find the controls too bad, and the physics are ok.

Understandable there are alot of bugs ie the dedicated loading screen bug and such. But man the dev's had a great fps idea and it has alot of potential simply patience is a virtue
Old 01-31-2011, 04:22 AM   #7
breaddit

Banned
There are some good voice clips, and some horrible ones. It's like they ran out of budget mid-development and decided to record their own with $10 microphones.
breaddit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
Raven1417

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldamole View Post
Well yes we all realise the graphics arn't great but man when you have played minecraft for over 100 hours graphics don't mean a thing. Secondly yes i totally agree on the sound its way off and very repetative. I don't find the controls too bad, and the physics are ok.

Understandable there are alot of bugs ie the dedicated loading screen bug and such. But man the dev's had a great fps idea and it has alot of potential simply patience is a virtue
Potential and bugs are irrelevant. I think a lot of you guys are missing the point. This is not the same game that they had 10 months ago. In fact, with what we have we will never get that game because for them to change it back to what it was they would need to rebuild and re-release the whole game.

This game engine is obviously totally different to what they had 10 months ago which says to me that they screwed their budget making that demo for PAX and whatnot thus leaving them with no option other than to remove features and use a different engine to be able to actually release a game with more than one map and game mode.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:51 AM   #9
oliathsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1417 View Post
Original gameplay footage of Breach showed somewhat pretty decent graphics, good sound and insanely good physics.

The released version offers poorer graphics, worse sounds and physics that are not even close to what was promised.

This is not a case of "demo footage that wasn't actual gameplay footage showing a better product compared to what you get" this is a simple case of the game that was shown 10 months ago is all but a blatant lie. That's why people are upset.
Well if you value graphics over game play then you are never going to enjoy gaming and i feel sorry for you.

Sounds are poor but not game breaking either. They serve a purpose and some of the sniper sounds are quite cool...as are the rocochet sounds when you are in a building being shot to pieces by a heavy machine gun and trying to find hard cover.

The physics are nothing short of amazing in my opinion. Yep on the xbox version they are pretty poor. But my goodness... on my pc with everything up max they are stunning. More importantly though.. they serve a gamplay purpose and have been carefully designed to give you a tactical advantage if you use them correctly.

THe key point you are missing here - gameplay is great in this game.

Finally 'everybody' is not upset.
There is a very small handful of the install base of this game even visiting forums. Do you have any idea how few people actually post to forums?

Statistically most people that do are also thereto post a problem.

In game you can find countless people who are all saying the same thing:

Amazing game.
This is my favourite FPS.
Best $12 i have ever spent.
oliathsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
Raven1417

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliathsg View Post
Well if you value graphics over game play then you are never going to enjoy gaming and i feel sorry for you.

Sounds are poor but not game breaking either. They serve a purpose and some of the sniper sounds are quite cool...as are the rocochet sounds when you are in a building being shot to pieces by a heavy machine gun and trying to find hard cover.

The physics are nothing short of amazing in my opinion. Yep on the xbox version they are pretty poor. But my goodness... on my pc with everything up max they are stunning. More importantly though.. they serve a gamplay purpose and have been carefully designed to give you a tactical advantage if you use them correctly.

THe key point you are missing here - gameplay is great in this game.

Finally 'everybody' is not upset.
There is a very small handful of the install base of this game even visiting forums. Do you have any idea how few people actually post to forums?

Statistically most people that do are also thereto post a problem.

In game you can find countless people who are all saying the same thing:

Amazing game.
This is my favourite FPS.
Best $12 i have ever spent.
I think I'll just put this all in caps and in red so you can guys can hopefully understand the very simple point I made in each post.

THIS IS NOT THE SAME GAME IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM THAT THEY DEBUTED AT PAX AND OTHER CONVENTIONS LAST YEAR. REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU THINK OF THE GRAPHICS OR THE GAMEPLAY, NONE OF IT IS THE SAME. THAT IS WHY SOME PEOPLE AND I SAY SOME, NOT ALL, ARE ANNOYED AND WANT THEIR MONEY BACK.

HOW HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
hokki

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQmXifRw9nM

All i see is more colour, more trees, different textures and some colour correction, which is influenced by TV settings. Connect it to your PC, set it up the way you want it and enjoy the illusion of better graphics.

Also, the physics dont seem in any way better than what we have now.

And good luck trying to get your money back because of your conclusion everything is going to be at least as good as you can see from a video of a Developer playing a showmatch.

PS: Listen to oliathsg, he's saying the truth

Cheers
hokki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #12
Raven1417

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokki View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQmXifRw9nM

All i see is more colour, more trees, different textures and some colour correction, which is influenced by TV settings. Connect it to your PC, set it up the way you want it and enjoy the illusion of better graphics.

Also, the physics dont seem in any way better than what we have now.

And good luck trying to get your money back because of your conclusion everything is going to be at least as good as you can see from a video of a Developer playing a showmatch.

PS: Listen to oliathsg, he's saying the truth

Cheers
How is it a bad thing to expect a product to be at least as good as it was in development upon release? Are you really trying to say that it's stupid to expect a game to be at the very least on par with where it was in the development stage?

Also, you must be playing a completely different game if the physics in that video are as good as what you experience in game. Because I've yet to see it. It's been kinda close as in about 60-70% of what the game was supposed to be capable of but not the whole hog.

And for the record I am playing this on PC, my rig is more than capable of playing this with EVERYTHING maxed out and yeah...not seeing it guys.

Last of all, hokki, oliathsg speaks far from the truth. Sure graphics aren't everything when you're expecting iffy graphics but when you're shown that the game has really good graphics and decent lighting only to receive early Xbox 360 era cheap lighting and poor textures you're allowed to be annoyed. And no, colour correction on a tv will not improve shadows, lighting and colour dramatically like that.

Not to mention he tries to quote me on something I never said AND puts his experience of in-game chat as some sort of proof that more people like it than hate it (which is the opposite experience I had with in-game chat, all I've heard is "this is crap" "the graphics suck" "my controls don't work properly" "oh look, something else in the environment that isn't destructible.")

Oh and he brings forth "statistics" , again, with no proof whatsoever.

So he doesn't speak the "truth" he just shares your opinion of the game. Two very different things.

To summarise all my posts (since I've had to repeat myself that many times as what I say seems to ALWAYS been taken out of context to attempt to defend this game, oh and I will highlight keywords to help you simple folk);

- Textures are not as good as what they had in the gameplay footage.

- Lighting, shadows etc are not as good as what they had in the gameplay footage.

- Sound is not as good as what they had in the gameplay footage.

- Physics are not as good, albiet kinda close, as what they had in the gameplay footage.

- Gameplay is not as smooth as what they had in the gameplay footage.

- Controls are clunky and buggy at times (something that should have been dealt with well before release.)

In other words, we have half a game...we're missing the key selling point of this game; highly realistic physics engine coupled with great graphics, what we have is the equivalent of a cheap chinese knockoff of that idea.

You can guys can take that all out of context some more if you want, it seems to be the MO of the people who enjoy this game.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #13
Iconoclast XVII

At least they didn't pull the same bioware did with Dragon Age and it's trailer. False advertising as its finest...
Iconoclast XVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
Raven1417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist XVII View Post
At least they didn't pull the same bioware did with Dragon Age and it's trailer. False advertising as its finest...
Can't say I'm familiar with what happened

(Never played DA or looked into it much)
Old 01-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #15
Exetus

Raven, for all you ing you haven't shown 1 video of what "This was supposed to be"

So it could just be your hearsay, yet you complain about the other poster lacking evidence, least he provided a vid.

Looking at all the videos I can find on youtube and the like this game looks the same as the vids.

I am not agreeing to either side, but I love the game and the videos I have seen all relay this same game to me...
Exetus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Breach