Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > DC Universe Online

Old 01-31-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
soldox

whats the best weapon for a dps???

So any one know?? I started out as a fire Brawler and the dps was awsome but then i found out that it was a bug and since they fixed it i tried Dual pistols, 1 handed and martial arts.

i felt that Dual pistols was doing low dmg and the same thing with 1 handed, maybe its the low numbers that came out when i tried my dps on a dummy. Martial arts was fun has some fast moves that end with a powerfull kick. So i wanted to know if any one else has found the perfect weapon
Old 01-31-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
ShTuPm

I've also felt that Dual Pistols are doing crappy damage, so i've swithced to Rifle and never came back. The numbers are good, the "combos" are easy to pull off and are doing some nice damage, especially the mortar shot.

I've tried martial arts, but it was not in theme with my character, so i went for Brawling and i'm ejoying it. It's a slow and heavy fighting style, but i love the damage, crits and constants stuns+knockdowns. Also works really well with Intimidation from the Tricks tree of Gadgets power seT and Neo-Venom boost from the Iconic Powers Tab. Works like a charm. I'm definately going to level another character with martial arts, to see the difference in damage output.

And yeah, about the sparring dummies - they are level 30, so unless you're level 30, the damage will be low.

Also, as much as i would like to say that "theres no such thing as the best weapon", i can't. What i can say however, is that me and two of my buddies was forced to change their weapons from dual-pistols to anything else. The damage was too low to kill 2 mobs without getting 3/4 of your healthbar taken off. Especially if you're in Gotham and fighting Bane's Venom addicted thugs. They hit you like hell, heal themselfs and the damage you deal to them is nothing, compared to what they can do to you. Also, Dp's combos involves jumping around back and forth, most likely pulling other mobs from behind the camera. So, as much s i would love to play with dual pistols, i can't. It's extremely difficult, even if you're pulling off all those combos flawlessly and in time.

Last edited by ShTuPm: 01-31-2011 at 05:36 AM.
ShTuPm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
soldox

yes im a lvl 30, im going to try out the rifle when i get one. What im looking for is a weapon with aoe thats why i tried out martial arts since on duos alerts and raids you always end up fighting 4-8 at time i just wanted to try out the other stuff and not just be a brawler.

the best weapong i can think of is some thing that does alot of dmg, has aoe i dont care if its hard to learn the moves (its a part of the game and makes things more interesting ). I i did a duo with a Ice tank he was a two hand and i was a dual pistol and at the end of the duo when dmg window comes up he did 14k dmg more then me and i was like omg i suck with dual guns, but i also seen some with dual pistols that do alot of dmg and im not sure if it has some thing to do with the power you have.
soldox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
Hi5_impala

To do more damage with weapons you want to wear gear that has + precision, if you want more damage from your powers wear gear that has more might. you could have a weapon that is known for high dps but if you dont get your precision up it wont matter what weapon you're using.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
Diwrnach

Used most the weapons now, and tbh I find them all pretty well balanced, use what you prefer pretty much.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
ShTuPm

Well, i played till level 20 with dual pistols and i was collecting precision with gear, but still m ydamage was mediocre. I won't deny that MAYBe i just don't get the picture thus doing something wrong, but i also thought...you know...change the weapon.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
soldox

Now im using rifle and all i can say is omg its OP i keep doing the same move over and over and over again. Soon it will get borgin to use rifle lol
Old 01-31-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
ShTuPm

It is. In terms of open PvE quest progression, you can pretty much just spam mortar strike all the time with a few rare exceptions. As much as Rifle felt like a relief after Dual Pistols, it also feels boring after level 15, so i've switched to another character with brawling. Although, i can say that you can ignore mortar strike if you feel like it's OP (and it is), but even though rifle is dealing HUGE ammounts of damage, it can get boring mainly because there are not so many moves you can pull. Roll forward, roll backwards, flamethrower and mortar strikes. It gets the job done just fine, but it also boring as can be.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:11 AM   #9
soldox

If it gets to boring i might change back to braweling since that was my first choice when i made my char but i asked in my league and they say that dual pistols do alot of dmg cus of the aoe and when i was in a raid a controller was doing more dmg then me but i was a martial arts.

I tried hand blaster but i couldnt use it properly, maybe if i put more time into learning the moves i got my kicked in pvp lol
Old 02-01-2011, 03:51 AM   #10
AngryJens

Dual Pistols is actually one of the lower end damage weapons.
AngryJens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:19 AM   #11
Diwrnach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryJens View Post
Dual Pistols is actually one of the lower end damage weapons.
Wrong.

Dual pistols as all weapons are fairly equal in terms of dps, go to the official forums there are parse data on some, and the rest work in progress, but pretty much all weapons have the same dps ability.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:44 AM   #12
ShTuPm

Well, i'd like to believe that, but how come that you kill mobs a lot, and i do mean A LOT faster with a Rifle, than with pistols? The damage could not be even compared. I've tried Brawling, Martial arts, Dual Pistols and Rifle. I can say that the DPS is very different and Dual Pistols is the worst weapon i've used. I won't deny that probably i was doing something wrong, but the damage was mediocre.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #13
TDZGamer

Different weapon skills and skill trees have different buffs to dmg, healing, domination etc. To be a contender you must spend points to get max dmg/crit buffs.
TDZGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #14
sinosleep

Weapon DPS is largely irrelevant. What's important is the the status effects (some weapons stun or knock down more often than others) they provide and your ability to combo with said weapon since powers are FAR more important than weapons in this game

For instance, my tank has switched to using two handed weapons. The reason why is the whirl wind combo and the fact that it's one of the more forgiving weapons to link together combo tiers with. Each weapon is balanced according to its speed with regards to how many hits it takes to achieve the next combo tier and the extra power regeneration that comes with it. Since 2 handers are very slow you get combo tiers with very few hits which is good for me since I was getting interrupted a lot mid combo with some other weapons. You combine that with the whirl wind combo which puts out an absurd amount of hits per combo (and it's an AOE attack) and the fact that it does relatively little damage doesn't at all matter.

I get far better power regeneration with it than I did with more damaging weapons I tried, which allows me to cast more powers, which allows me to hold more threat, which makes me a better tank.

The same logic can be applied to any role you want to play in the game, be that healer, tank, controller, or dps. Go with whatever weapon has combos you feel you can link together on a regular basis and status effects that you like.

Last edited by sinosleep: 02-01-2011 at 08:07 AM.
sinosleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
Amnesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShTuPm View Post
Well, i'd like to believe that, but how come that you kill mobs a lot, and i do mean A LOT faster with a Rifle, than with pistols? The damage could not be even compared. I've tried Brawling, Martial arts, Dual Pistols and Rifle. I can say that the DPS is very different and Dual Pistols is the worst weapon i've used. I won't deny that probably i was doing something wrong, but the damage was mediocre.
Dual pistols do excellent damage but you have to chain your combos very specifically. Which means you have to make sure you keep the enemy in the air and you work in the magnum shot at every opportunity.
Amnesty is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > DC Universe Online