Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka

Old 01-31-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
kpsnnf

Magicka will not launch

as the title says, game wont start at all, error report is below, the 200mb~ file seems to have an error when i try manually install, does not download a file, says you can now disconnect internet(?) then just says error, so maybe this is part of the problem?
at Magicka.Audio.AudioManager.Dispose()
at Magicka.Game.UnloadContent()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DeviceDisposing(Objec t sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.OnDe viceDisposing(Object sender, EventArgs args)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.Hand leDisposing(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.~G raphicsDevice()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.Di spose(Boolean )
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.Di spose()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.Disp ose(Boolean disposing)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.Syst em.IDisposable.Dispose()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Dispose()
at Magicka.Program.Main(String[] args)

seems to have been an update just now, steam downloaded some files or a file, however now upon clicking the game to start, the screen flashes black 3 times, i see magicka on the toolbar, and then its gone, error report is exactly the same as above

Last edited by kpsnnf: 01-31-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Avathar

yeah, im getting this exact some problem. just thought id bump this since theres no reply yet and id like to play the game

seems to be related to microsoft.net, and i did find a link saying how to repair it, but it was referencing files that didnt seem to exist, but id suggest searching this problem related to microsoft.net and see what you come up with and post if you can find a way to fix it.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
kpsnnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avathar View Post
yeah, im getting this exact some problem. just thought id bump this since theres no reply yet and id like to play the game

seems to be related to microsoft.net, and i did find a link saying how to repair it, but it was referencing files that didnt seem to exist, but id suggest searching this problem related to microsoft.net and see what you come up with and post if you can find a way to fix it.
since there is a line of text with audio in i assume that my card or the game's audio settings are the fault, and that in turn is impacting other components, though i cant find any ini file to scour through, nor settings before launching the game, and as the game wont launch im stuck
kpsnnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Avathar

Im trying installing 4.0 framework now. I also have been having problems with my audio too. I currently have audio thats part of my Mobo. but it hasnt been detecting an audio device for a couple weeks now. I know the game has problems with integrated video (thus why its not working on most laptops ) it may also be that it has a problem with integrated sound.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
kpsnnf

i already have the 4.0 installed, i dont have a problem with my audio in general, im using an audigy card, old model but no issues, and my graphics card is a HD4890, more than enough to run any game on high+
Old 01-31-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
Faijin

Try going to control panel>sound>playback tab and disabling your default device.

If it disappears, right click and show disabled devices. It can be re-enabled whenever.

Now try running it with no sound. If it works, you can try virtual audio cable to route the sound through a virtual line to your normal device. Instructions are included with the program, however, the trial version says "trial" every few seconds. You might be able to find better alternatives.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
Avathar

Yeah, putting on 4.0 didnt fix it either. my card is a geforce 9800 gtx/gtx+ so i dont see that i would have issues there.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810098
this is the link for the thread i found about fixing the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." problem but when i run the executables it says those files do not exist.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
flava_clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsnnf View Post
since there is a line of text with audio in i assume that my card or the game's audio settings are the fault, and that in turn is impacting other components, though i cant find any ini file to scour through, nor settings before launching the game, and as the game wont launch im stuck
the settings are stored in file called "Settings.sav" which you can find in [path to steam]/steam/steamapps/common/magicka/SaveData

however i don't think this will help you at all...
flava_clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
kpsnnf

is this a joke? i disabled my card, and the game launched, -lots of characters to imply swearing-

ok, when in the game everything is black, clicking around i made it try connect, got an authentication failed, and then a request timed out, another click asked me to input a password, alt f4'ed out
Old 01-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
Avathar

@ faijin I have no audio devices listed under any category in sound since my computer stopped recognizing my onboard sound device. Ive seen other posts though that look exactly like this. Theres the three programs it installs with this game DX9.0c, Microsoft.net framework 3.5 and SlimDX. ive updated all 3 of those. And the other thread i saw showed the exact same errors. except that it showed slimDX in all cases instead of MIcrosoft.net

Link i posted earlier suggests this as a fix for the .net framework bug
MICROSOFT'S RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, register the Adodb.dll file in the global assembly cache (GAC). On a computer where only the .NET Framework is installed, the file Gacutil.exe does not exist.. Either obtain the gacutil file by installing Microsoft .NET Framework SDK, or create a Visual Studio.NET setup project that uses the installer to install the correct components.

To register Adodb.dll in the GAC, follow these steps: 1. Click Start and then click Run.
2. In the Run dialog box, type the following command, and then click OK:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\gacut il /i C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\Primary Interop Assemblies\adodb.dll

Last edited by Avathar: 01-31-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
Faijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsnnf View Post
is this a joke? i disabled my card, and the game launched, -lots of characters to imply swearing-

ok, when in the game everything is black, clicking around i made it try connect, got an authentication failed, and then a request timed out, another click asked me to input a password, alt f4'ed out

It sounds like some sort of texture failure on the menu screens. You must have clicked online play at some point. Try again but click around the top and see if you can get the game started through random clicking. Perhaps you'll be able to see the game after the menus.

It may help to find a youtube video showing the first few menus to help your random clicks along. I wish I could give you better advice, that sounds fubar.

@avathar It might be helpful to play around in the device manager to see if you can get the sound device to show up somehow. It might also be helpful to try running virtual audio cable and setting the virtual device as default. I would probably do that before messing with the device manager. You wouldn't hear any sound except "trial" repeatedly, but at least the game might work. Perhaps virtual audio cable would recognize your sound device and route sound to it anyhow.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
Avathar

Running install for SDK now, downloaded VAC ill try both then update
Old 01-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #13
Avathar

sdk didnt help, but VAC seems to have, i still dont have audio, but it recognized that i have some sort of sound device. now the game launches.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
kpsnnf

update, i got that vac thing, didnt change any setting, only set it as the default device, didnt disable my sound card, the game launches and with no black screen.. no sound either.. but whatever eh.. us consumers arent meant to be happy all the time -.-'
Old 01-31-2011, 02:38 PM   #15
dopaminergic

Either yesterday or a couple days ago my game stopped starting up completely. I reinstaleld and it's working now for me.
dopaminergic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka