|01-31-2011, 01:17 PM||#1|
Join Date: Feb 2006
Steam Client Beta Available
There's a new Steam Beta client available. To access the Beta, go to File -> Settings. On the Account tab press the Change... button to open the Beta Participation dialog. Then Select Beta Update, and allow Steam to restart itself. Here are the specific changes:
- Changed microphone voice input from 11khz to 16 khz
- Changed voice output from 8khz to 16khz
- Moved game invites from friends outside of the chat stream, into their own panel in the chat dialog
- [Mac OSX] Fixed a problem where attempting to resume a paused/interrupted download could always report ‘server unavailable’
- Fixed games not launching automatically after resolving a cloud conflict
- Fixed download rate sometimes erroneously reporting very high speeds
- Added password strength meter when you change your password
- Added UI prompting you to choose a new password if you've had support change your password
- Added Steam screenshots feature. Press F12 in any game to take a screenshot. Screenshots are automatically uploaded to the steam cloud after exiting the game, or can be manually uploaded while in-game through the in-game overlay. Screenshots can be managed through the community site and can be published to your Steam Community Profile to share with your friends. Games that use DirectX 8 and earlier are not yet supported.
There will also be a thread specifically for feedback about the screenshot feature: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...play.php?f=837
- Possible fix to crash on startup or when viewing Games page
- Fixed an occasional crash in the overlay when taking screenshots, causing the overlay to restart (and not display the recent screenshot)
- Fixed the default hotkey being Shift+Insert for some users rather than F12. (This fix will cause anyone who changed their screenshot hotkey to change it again.)
- Fix avatars scaling badly and thus looking pixilated
- Changed screenshots to exclude overlay notifications when taken while the overlay is closed
- Fixed recent screenshots in the games details view not updating when new screenshots are uploaded
- Fixed overlay crashing when taking screenshots if you've modified or deleted your layout files
- Fixed a common crash observed in the last beta build
- Fixed screenshots not accounting for gamma ramp in some D3D9 games (Sims 3)
- Fixed a potential crash taking screenshots in D3D11 games (Bad Company 2)
- Fixed a crash in the in-game overlay web browser logging into gmail.com
- Fixed client uploading non-image files as screenshots
- [Mac OSX] Fixed input in the in-game overlay web browser not working in password input fields
- Fixed some crashes introduced in the previous update when launching games or uploading screenshots
- Added support for D3D3, 7, and 8 games.
- Fixed screenshots coming out solid black in some D3D9 games
- Fixed screenshots in OpenGL not having correct Gamma Correction applied (Quake III)
- Fixed client hang which could occur hovering links in any HTML based display area
- Fixed client allowing images to be uploaded with extra data appended to the end if they were modified on disk before uploading.
- Fixed bug introduced in the last update where some games would not run on the first launch after downloading them.
- Fixed not detecting screenshot hot-key in games using buffered DirectInput (Metro 2033)
- Improved performance of taking screenshots in D3D3 and D3D7 games
- Fixes the screenshot manager UI for screenshots taken at 1280x1024
- Fixes the overlay's recent screenshot panel not working for non-steam games
- Fixes the overlay's recent screenshot panel showing the wrong screenshots when more than one game is running simultaneously
- Fixed microphone to reinitialize correctly if windows signals that a device in the system has changed
- Fixed the settings-dialog mic test to correctly re-init the calibration client if the active voice device changes
- Reduced voice prefix buffer size from 200ms to 100ms, but increased trailing from 200 to 400ms - reduces latency when transitioning from silence to active voice, but still should keep it from sound like chat is cutting out mid-sentence
- Increased thresholds for voice activity detection, making it less sensitive
- Fix some games failing to launch (giving an “error code 80” message) for users with lots of screenshots.
- Fix screenshot previews in the overlay screenshots panel being too tall at some aspect ratios
- Changed voice output device for Steam to be the default communication device (Windows)
- Fixed game invites not working from lobby-based games
- Adds a filter box to the library page
- Adds options to disable the toast and sound from taking a screenshot
- Another fix for users with lots of screenshots having trouble launching games
- Voice: Increased amount of gain applied
- Changed disconnect message when a friend ends the call to '<friend> has ended the call'
- ESC clears the game view search box
- TAB in and out of search box improved
- Ctrl-F (and Cmd-F on Mac OSX) will go to the search box from the game screens
- Removed country code from occasionally showing up in search box
- Check box status in the Friends menu for avatars/sort/online are now shown correctly (would sometime get out of sync)
- Mac OSX – Fixed crash at shutdown.
- Library drill-down pages Games, Media, Tools, and Downloads are now located as options under the filter drop down on the library page.
- Screenshot manager is now accessible outside of the game (from details page, jumplist, main menu, and game context menus).
- Screenshot manager now supports deleting screenshots, uploading screenshots without publishing them, and publishing/uploading/deleting multiple screenshots at once.
- Screenshot manager now allows you to view all screenshots stored locally rather than just the current session.
- Screenshots are no longer automatically uploaded on game exit, instead the screenshot manager is displayed and populated with all screenshots from the last session. This new behavior obeys the same settings as the previous ‘automatic upload’ setting.
- Screenshot manager now allows you to view the screenshot folder on disk.
- Screenshot captions are no longer required to publish.
- Screenshot uploads in progress will cancel when a game is launched.
- Screenshots can now be uploaded even with cloud disabled.
- Recent screenshots in the games details page and in the background of the games details page now use local screenshots.
- Fixed game selection combobox and visibility combobox being editable in the screenshot manager
- Fix crash when trying to type into game selection or visibility combo box
- Fix Select All, Show on Disk, and Delete buttons being visible in the screenshot manager when there are no screenshots to view
- Library search filter remains in effect when switching between all library views
- Search box now entirely disabled, even on hover, in the Downloads view
- Web views now include a "Copy Page URL" command in the context menu, to copy the page's web address to the clipboard
- 'Search' control no longer shows up incorrectly in web views
- Adds refresh/stop/home buttons back if the URL bar is displayed
- Makes screenshots taken not count against your quota until they are uploaded
- Adds a message box for trying to upload more screenshot data than available.
- Fixes screenshot deleted from the web but not from local disk still showing as uploaded in the screenshot manager
- Fixes some screenshot manager controls being usable during an upload/delete job
- Fixes long text games in the screenshot manager game selection box overlapping the dropdown button
- Fixes old screenshots (from before the screenshot manager update) not showing up in the screenshot manager
- Fixes screenshot manager not allowing unicode characters such as ä, ö, ü
- Fix screenshots being uploaded as the new 'private' still being visible on your profile
- Reduce Steam startup time for users with a large number of screenshots
- Makes it so clicking on empty space in the screenshot list in the screenshot manager deselects all images
- Fixes a crash on startup
- Fixes screenshot manager 'show on disk' button opening the folder with the wrong separator on Windows
- Fixes borders in screenshot manager thumbnails growing after scrolling through the list
- Fixes clicking on the cloud icon in a preview not selecting the image
- Adds doubleclick support to thumbnails in screenshot manager when not in overlay to open in the system viewer
- Adds date/size labels to the screenshot manager when exactly one image is selected
- Updates the cloud icon in the screenshot manager to make it clearer to see
- Reduces the border whiteness of published screenshots to 50% to make it more obvious that they are not selected.
- Fixes Steam not launching on Mac OS X 10.5
- Fixes a bug where clicking on 'Library' when Library is already active could change the games list selection (possibly to an invalid selection, which would then show no games listed)
- Fixes the library search box not behaving correctly when categories are collapsed
- Adds 'screenshots' to context menu in taskbar to match up with the 'taskbar/jumplist' settings
- Several screenshot manager layout tweaks
- Fixes published screenshots for mods not having a name in the Community UI
- Fixes screenshots for mods and shortcuts not showing up or showing up under the wrong name in the overlay
- Screenshots can now be uploaded as public, friends-only, and private. These privacy states are independent of the profile state, so someone with a friends-only profile can choose to have screenshots that can be seen by anyone.
- Fixes bug where screenshots uploaded in-game wouldn't immediately refresh the caption in the screenshot manager out-of-game if it was already open and pointing at that game.
- Fixes square characters being displayed after linebreaks for some users
- Makes media/downloads selections in the library tab a part of the history the forward/back buttons use
- Fixed bug where some downloadable content was not downloaded until the client was restarted
- Fixes a rare crash at startup
Warning: This beta update may be incompatible with some skins until they are updated, even skins that were updated earlier in the beta may be broken by more recent changes in the last update.
- Fixed OSX overlay occasionally disappearing after 10+ minutes in game
- OSX: In game overlay now handles cursor visibility better; specifically in the Sam & Max series.
- Fixed OSX overlay responding correctly when window is reactivated by mouse click.
- Maximizing the Windows client should no longer prevent the user from accessing an auto-hidden taskbar
- The overlay will now automatically return to the game when accepting a friend invite
- Improved voice ducking prevention
- Fixed position of game invites in the chat dialog
- Improved handling of last modified times for cloud files.
Last edited by jmccaskey: 02-16-2011 at 07:18 PM.
|01-31-2011, 01:19 PM||#2|
Join Date: Dec 2008
*Installs the beta*
Edit: It is amazing
Last edited by Fish-E: 01-31-2011 at 01:27 PM.
|01-31-2011, 01:33 PM||#9|
Join Date: May 2010
|01-31-2011, 01:51 PM||#14|
Join Date: Sep 2008
I tried this new feature in TF2, im in the beta, I pressed F12 several times in-game. But when I exited, It said that I didn't take any.
|01-31-2011, 01:52 PM||#15|
Join Date: Mar 2008
OK, I have tried to take a couple screenshots on Mafia II, but STEAM have crashed trying to upload the screens and now STEAM is crashing every time y start the client...