Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
killerangel01

How to change a disabled email?

I recently changed internet providers and hance have a new email account. I wanted to change my email attached to me steam account but when I fill out the information under settings it asks for a verification code from the old email address. How do I get the verification code if the old email is already deactivated?
Old 01-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
0ddity

You should have taken care of this before you switched emails and lost access to the old one. Now you'll have to contact support, and provide proof of ownership, and they will change your email address.
0ddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
killerangel01

Unfortunately, my new IP/email was not active until today.
killerangel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
Mangr0v3

You could have used a free service such as Gmail or Windows Live Hotmail in the interim.
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
FreemanForPrez

I had this same issue not long ago and posted here about it.
Hey, it happens, and telling someone "well you should have thought about that before, young man!" isn't really very helpful.

Anyway, I tried to change it to my new email addy and after inputting my new email I got a message saying it couldn't be done because I had to supply a confirmation code that I could only get from my previous email addy that I didn't have anymore.

So I wrote to Steam Support and got back some canned answer that proved to me that no human had even read the content of my ticket. So I never followed up on it because I'm not into talking to computers.

Turns out though that my email WAS in fact changed, even without the confirmation code. Unless one of them did just manually change it, which I doubt, the only other thing I can figure is that the verification thing is broken.
Did you check to see if your new email address is listed? Or did you just stop trying once you saw that message?
FreemanForPrez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
hollykryten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangr0v3 View Post
You could have used a free service such as Gmail or Windows Live Hotmail in the interim.
Which is exactly what i did too as i'm about to be churned to another internet service provider so i had to update all my email addresses. Gmail, hotmail and yahoo mail came in handy. It's the way to go about it.
hollykryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #7
zeekill

Support can change it if you provide enough proof.
zeekill is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips