Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 01-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
KRUSH101

non steam game on steam

When a shortcut to a non steam game is added to the client it should show the same information it shows for games bought through steam. like if any friends of mine play the game or any news that might be out and about for the game. plus those backgrounds are pretty cool.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
xTaz81x

Banned
Steam doesn't have time to keep track of all the games. It should only do this if the game is on steam. But it should not allow achievements as a non-steam version would be easy to hack.
xTaz81x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
Autositz

There is a simple reason for this to not ever happen:
Games on Steam can be identified explicit by their SteamGameID. Adding a non-Steam game called "Cool Game" doesn't mean its the same "Cool Game" on Steam. This alone makes it impossible for Steam to track anything related to the game like displaying news or friends activity. The only thing i see here is the playtime which again makes zero sense as it can't be displayed on the steam profile.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Anoumos

Then maybe a way to link the shortcut to the real game, but I would like in the future, able to add non-steam games to be permanent on steam. . .
Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
Autositz

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoumos View Post
Then maybe a way to link the shortcut to the real game, but I would like in the future, able to add non-steam games to be permanent on steam. . .
You already can add several non-Steam Games to your Steam account, to see which ones just check this support page: Retail CD Keys
Old 02-17-2011, 10:08 PM   #6
Acetyl

Banned
Its kind of a drag that when you add a third party game to steam, even if the game is available on steam as well it just displays the EXE icon in the grid view. Perhaps make it possible for steam recognize the game's exe? To not waste start up time have it store that info as it would any other game's and not have to scan every time. Example - I bought Mass effect on steam, It has a badass icon to go along with it in grid view. I bought Mass Effect 2 retail, adding it to steam would only display its exe icon, not the one people who bought on steam would see. Kind of pointless and seems like it would be easy enough to fix, if they dont want the fancy icon to be a "bought on steam" perk that is. -adapted from a thread I previously made-
Acetyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:01 AM   #7
Autositz

@Acetyl
They can't just compare a retail .exe of gameX to a Steamworks .exe of gameX. And retail gameX isn't always gameX on Steam but could be gameX1 or gameX2 and so on with small changes to the game which aren't affecting the game but the DRM like Steamworks.

And if it's not possible to add a retail game to your Steam account it is either unwanted by the publisher itself or by Valve for reasons they for sure have already evaluated.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:05 AM   #8
lanky_matt

If you are in the new steam beta and take a screenshot in a non-steam game you have added then those screenies get used as backgrounds on the details page now
lanky_matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
Acetyl

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autositz View Post
@Acetyl
They can't just compare a retail .exe of gameX to a Steamworks .exe of gameX. And retail gameX isn't always gameX on Steam but could be gameX1 or gameX2 and so on with small changes to the game which aren't affecting the game but the DRM like Steamworks.

And if it's not possible to add a retail game to your Steam account it is either unwanted by the publisher itself or by Valve for reasons they for sure have already evaluated.
I'm not so much concerned with the other features of steam, I really dont expect those to be present (steamworks integration etc etc etc). I'm just thinking the icon so grid view looks nice, the other details I dont really care about.
Acetyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
Autositz

But it belongs all together. Once gameX can be 100% identified for Steam that it is gameID 512543 then they can show bigger icons for the grid view even for non-Steam games. But as long as this isn't possible i doubt you will get what you want. -.-
Old 03-19-2011, 02:24 AM   #11
C3POwen

This is something I was thinking of this morning, as I have a few non-Steam games that I'd like to see have almost-full integration into Steam. For instance, I'd quite like to have some of my older non-Steam games appear within my library (such as Fable: TLC or Sam & Max Hit the Road).

Anyway, here's my thoughts on the subject:
  • Allow users to create more than just a shortcut. At the moment, when I go to the Library tab and choose the Grid view I get a big button with a tiny icon inside it. Why not allow the user to create their own graphic to fill the space? I'm sure there would be a huge surge of people posting their own designs for grid/list view images.

In this instance, you could allow users to link to specific images within a special Steam folder (C:/.../Steam/shortcuts, for example), allowing them to select the large and small images within the Properties dialogue that pops up when you right-click a shortcut.

Regarding naming, you could have two images with the same name but appended with certain letters, e.g. fabletlc_grid.png and fabletlc_list.png. As long as you specify the main part of the file name - in this case fabletlc - then you could simply link the two images to the same game.

• A custom icon would be nice too, as some games (LEGO Star Wars) have terrible-looking icons, and it'd be nice to provide an alternative. Again, something along the lines of fabletlc_icon.png.

• Allow users to provide some background images to use. Again, these could be stored within the Steam/shortcuts folder, with a matching name ID for each specific game, such as fabletlc_bg1.png, fabletlc_bg2.png, etc.

Note: As I was playing around with shortcuts whilst writing this, I've found out that Steam screenshots work as the background image for non-Steam games. However, it'd still be nice to not have the "screenshots" subheading if you didn't want it.
On a side note, I'd quite like to be able to customize the titles of my games for consistency, as some games are titled correctly, some aren't, and some are littered with ® and ™ symbols which look a little ugly.

Anyway, it'd be nice to see a bit more user control to how games are displayed, as I'm sure it would please those of us who care about that kind of thing.
C3POwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:30 AM   #12
C0dex

To do this would be like adding chrome.exe and naming it "Call of Duty: Black Ops".. Also, this would require the addition of the SteamID's to the non-steam games to be similar to the ones in the Steam Store.
C0dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:57 AM   #13
C3POwen

I was thinking more along the lines of a simple *.ini file that allowed you to modify certain aspects of the text display of games that already exist within Steam, not just non-Steam games.

As for custom grid images, I was thinking something like this.
C3POwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #14
TheTrueOutcast

I agree very much because i have few games that i have had on my pc from before i had steam and i rly want to add data from game to steam. EX: Mass Effect
TheTrueOutcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
Internal_energy

Yup
we need this feature
Internal_energy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas