Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2

Old 02-05-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
0hYeah

Exclamation thefragpipe.com Left 4 Dead 2 Tournament - 10 000$ in prizes

We are glad to announce thefragpipe.com Left 4 Dead 2 Tournament. We feel the game and the community has suffered from lack of well organized tournaments, and more importantly the lack of prizes which bring both players and viewers together for a great competitive gaming experience. Left 4 Dead 2 is a fantastic first person shooter and because of its variability, very entertaining to both players and viewers alike.

The Tournament will be held in Europe, but North-American teams are welcome to join, as long as they feel comfortable playing on European servers. We will provide a list of official tournament servers, at least two of which will be located in United Kingdom and should thus give better ping to North-American players.

The prizes

The Tournament will have a prize fund of 10 000$, which will be divided between the winners as follows:

1st place 6000$
2nd place 3000$
3rd place 1000$

Tournament layout

The tournament sign-ups will be open for approximately two weeks, after which the tournament will start. We have no limits on available slots: we will accept all teams who want to join, even if they have no previous experience in online competitive gaming. The Tournament will start with a qualifying round and after that there will be a multi-division double elimination playoff system: stronger teams go to Division I playoffs, weaker teams go to Division II. This will ensure teams on all skill levels will be able to enjoy many games during the competition. Each round will last one week. There is no set match dates, you are free to schedule your match with your opponent. If you haven’t done so before Friday 21:00 CET (Central European Time, +1 GMT), the match will be automatically forced to Sunday 21:00 CET.

Detailed information

To find out more about the tournament, please visit these pages:

Tournament overview: https://www.thefragpipe.com/LEFT+4+D...ment/overview/

Tournament questions & answers: https://www.thefragpipe.com/LEFT+4+D...q+ampersand+a/

Tournament rules: https://www.thefragpipe.com/LEFT+4+D...rnament/rules/

There will be live match chat and we’ll try to stream as many games as possible. The broadcasting will be done in cooperation with L4D2TV.net: http://www.l4d2tv.net/

Registering and signing up for the Tournament

Your team’s captain should go first an register a new team. Then he should add a new squad to the team and give its join password to his teammates. All players who wish to participate in the tournament must register as „full“ users, not „quick“.

Note: if you do not receive the confirmation e-mail, please make sure to check your junk mail folders.

Tournament config

A new, specially tailored version of confogl will be used. The main differences with the current confogl being:

- increased melee fatigue (starts not from 5 swings but 2 swings),
- infected spawn timers lowered to 18 seconds,
- severely limited throwable bombs, 1-1-1 on most maps (and 0-0-0 on the rest),
- taking pills will not give you all the temporary health immediately, but in 5 seconds (+10 temporary health per second),
- all melee weapons will be removed from starting saferooms.

The test version of the config can be found here: http://prodigysim.com/l4d2/fresh/

It has all the features apart from the melee weapon removal. Use sm_lerps to print everyone's lerp and !forcematch fresh to start the match.

Winning the Tournament and receiving the awards

Some people have already expressed their concern about us asking for the player’s bank account details. I can assure everyone who is concerned that giving out your bank account details can result in no harm. No one can do anything by just knowing your full name and bank account number. Some people, especially in North-America would prefer to use Paypal. However, Paypal requires you to either have a credit card or a bank account tied to your Paypal account anyway. We don’t ask for your credit card details, and if you already have a bank account, there is no need to use Paypal or anything similar. Remember, you are providing your contact details for your benefit, not ours.

International bank transfers are safe, relatively quick, and easily track-able.

If you do not have a bank account (which in most countries is not likely), you can always make an agreement with your teammates. One of you can receive the award money and share it later between the team. From the Tournament side the award fund will be shared equally between all team members who have set their profile in the website to „receive awards“. What happens after that is your freedom as a team of friends to decide.

Community contacts

With our tournament we want to bring new teams into competitive Left 4 Dead 2. It is a great game and for the larger part it has a great community. Our tournament will not allow trolling and disrespectful attitude towards other players, especially if they might not be as experienced as some of the „oldies“. Every new player and team has a right to be welcomed into the community and for that we have set up a network of experienced and friendly players who are willing to help you out. Even more, you may find a community contact that is from the same country as you and can help you out in your own language.

Please find the list of the community contacts here: https://www.thefragpipe.com/LEFT+4+D...nity+contacts/

Final words

We apologize for the fact that the website is quite empty of content at the moment. It has quite limited functionality for registered users, and you might meet a couple of bugs along the way. We are building this site up from scratch, adding new functionality and fixing bugs almost daily. Articles for beginning players, and articles about setting up your own server are being prepared. We will have a working forum soon, hopefully next week. We are waiting for our SSL certificate, which should also be available in a few days time. There are serious design updates coming as well, with a new background, middle level menus and better designed forms.

We decided to launch our website and the first tournament since quite a few people already knew it was coming and many people were getting restless because of the long wait. This is our way of letting you know that we are serious about this and the tournament is happening.

Contact

If you have any questions about our tournament, or if you have serious problems registering a user or a team at our website, please get in touch with me either by e-mail

Joel „OhYeah“ Valja: ohyeah@thefragpipe.com

Or join our steam group and enter our group chat: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/thefragpipe

We hope this will be the best Left 4 Dead related tournament ever, and with your help I’m sure we can make it happen!

[Thread approved by BurtonJ and Chetf]

Last edited by 0hYeah: 02-24-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: added note to bottom of thread
Old 02-05-2011, 04:56 AM   #2
mystrdat

Well hello there, 5* and glhf.
mystrdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:14 AM   #3
Razor118171

Hey, uh, OhYeah? Why won't you go check to see if I was born yesterday to believe this big pile of e?
Razor118171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:20 AM   #4
0hYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor118171 View Post
Hey, uh, OhYeah? Why won't you go check to see if I was born yesterday to believe this big pile of e?
What exactly is the problem? You don't believe the tournament is happening, or you don't believe there will be prizes?
0hYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:28 AM   #5
Razor118171

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0hYeah View Post
What exactly is the problem? You don't believe the tournament is happening, or you don't believe there will be prizes?
Neither.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
0hYeah

Quote:
Neither.
There is no way I can convince you. But I am from a team that has been playing L4D non-stop since the original game, and when we organize something and say something is happening, it will. You are welcome to not join our competition, in fact we encourage anyone with attitude such as yours not to join.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:43 AM   #7
mystrdat

Quote:
Neither.
Seems to me like a belief related problem. Look at it this way - a huge part of our society believes in Jesus walking on water and performing miracles, it's actually their choice to believe so and you will rarely shake that with just a "lol, umad".

I've heard quite a few voices questioning the existence of the prizes and the tourney, because 10k$ is really TGTBT around this game. It creates this vile aura of feeling a slight "not-happeningness".

While in my opinion problems may arise and most probably will arise, I know Pixies from the good oldschool ESL L4D1 scene and I do believe their intentions are of good origin. If it happens - awesome. If it fails - nice try, the game was probably worth it.

Either way, I do believe this event is happening and the cash is valid at this point in time. Hey kids, let's revive this game is what 0hYeah is talking about here. And he has a truckload of dollars to support that.

Last edited by mystrdat: 02-05-2011 at 05:47 AM.
mystrdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:48 AM   #8
0hYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystrdat View Post
Either way, I do believe this event is happening and the cash is valid at this point in time. Hey kids, let's revive this game is what 0hYeah is talking about here. And he has a truckload of dollars to support that.
Well not be personally, I'm more like a delivery man.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:20 AM   #9
Mambini

Paypal for those who have it, should be a way to distribute the prize moneys.

It's the only thing, even with your explanation that makes me go meh! Privacy and security is one of the most important needs people have on the net.
Mambini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:23 AM   #10
Razor118171

Okay, so maybe the tournament's happening, but I still remain rather skeptic about having 10000 bucks involved. I didn't mean to be rude, but it's still hard to believe, with all those fakers in the internet.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
Zeratulz

Quote:
Okay, so maybe the tournament's happening, but I still remain rather skeptic about having 10000 bucks involved. I didn't mean to be rude, but it's still hard to believe, with all those fakers in the internet.
Fakers can't organize good and solid tournaments. Trust me.

Heck, the tournaments going to happen and I'd be happy to actually have some competetition for once. The money is just an extra plus if you actually obtain it.
Zeratulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #12
0hYeah

Quote:
As I said, we have played L4D since the original game non-stop and taken part in every major tournament. I really doubt there are any active teams in Europe who do not know us.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #13
Rellik_jmd

Why would anyone freak out about posting bank account details? Just open up a new account and put $10 in it. Takes ten minutes, and if you actually have a shot at placing, ten minutes well spent.
Rellik_jmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #14
Mambini

I wonder why there are no rvs tournaments..

Good initiative tho OP. This is the type of stuff the community needs!
Mambini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #15
Mottie

I'm kinda curious as to why there are no finales, I guess I like actually playing out the finales, other than maybe the Parish Finale which is entirely luck based, the rest are pretty much well... fine.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2