Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 02-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
ostkex

looking for program that turns off processes/services

im looking for a gaming program that turns off unneccesary processes and services while im playing i have heard of a few tried and googled and found nothing since i cant remember what any of their names are. so a little help with names or link would be very much appriciated!

Old 02-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
0ddity

Gamebooster:

http://download.cnet.com/Game-Booste...-10913645.html
0ddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
borg_7_of_9

also Tuneup utility's has a good one 30day free trial get window's running sweet and just un install it..

Can stop some un-needed startup program's, and lots of other trick's
borg_7_of_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
joemtnbike

Make sure your system has enough RAM (2-4GB depending on the OS) and don't worry about turning off services.
joemtnbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Silicon Vampire

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemtnbike View Post
Make sure your system has enough RAM (2-4GB depending on the OS) and don't worry about turning off services.
This is the best advice in my book. I'm running a nearly three year old install of Vista HP 64 and have never run any program proposed to "optiize" anything and have never had any issues.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
madpistol

Nothing can substitute a decent amount of ram. What OS are you using?
madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
NotYourHero

Server
Secondary login (if you're pc has only 1 user for windows)
error reporting
Printer spooler (if no printer)
Offline files
Windows update ( kind of best off anyway or at least set to manual so it wont download while you play)

I turn all of these off and also any remote access services besides the one or 2 that must be running.
NotYourHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #8
borg_7_of_9

Some Other crap that does not need to load with window's that does by default

Adobe Reader Quick Launch
Adobe reader and Acrobat Manager
Google Update Installer (Google Chrome if you use it)
Java Update Scheduler
Nero Home Monitor (For PPL with nero I'm shore most ppl do)
Mobile phone software (Nokia in my case)
Windows Live Device Integrator Executable
Windows Problem Reporting

Depending on your Computer there may be other item that are not needed..
Old 02-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
joemtnbike

While not all services are needed if you have sufficient RAM there will be no noticeable differece in computer performance.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
borg_7_of_9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemtnbike View Post
While not all services are needed if you have sufficient RAM there will be no noticeable differece in computer performance.
I have enough ram but why wait for services to load that are not needed

Turn em' off and have better performance all round..
Old 02-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #11
joemtnbike

whateva
Old 02-05-2011, 10:19 PM   #12
madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg_7_of_9 View Post
I have enough ram but why wait for services to load that are not needed

Turn em' off and have better performance all round..
3 letters:

S S D

Cut your wait time by 75%

Problem solved.
madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #13
Bad_Motha

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by borg_7_of_9 View Post
Some Other crap that does not need to load with window's that does by default

Adobe Reader Quick Launch
Adobe reader and Acrobat Manager
Google Update Installer (Google Chrome if you use it)
Java Update Scheduler
Nero Home Monitor (For PPL with nero I'm shore most ppl do)
Mobile phone software (Nokia in my case)
Windows Live Device Integrator Executable
Windows Problem Reporting

Depending on your Computer there may be other item that are not needed..
Yes these are all very common ones and none of them are ever really needed. To help illiminate most, about half of the services can be set to MANUAL, instead of AUTO. Thus they won't load up during startup and thus are only loaded when you load a program that requires them. Some are best left set to MANUAL instead of DISABLED. Some, when set to DISABLED will not load ever, and thus are halt apps that need them to work properly.

If you use Windows Live Messenger, set "Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant to MANUAL. If set to DISABLED, Messenger will not work at all. If left on AUTO, it will load this each time your OS boots and can't be closed out. But set to MANUAL will allow it to be loaded only when you use Windows Live Mail or Live Messenger programs. To help keep it from loading even when you have the ID service set to MANUAL, turn off Live Messenger from being in your startup.

Also if you do not have a use for NVIDIA 3D STEREO VISION features, you can disable this service, otherwise it will auto-start during each startup. But again this can also be manually closed out without it auto-restarting itself.

Google installer has a couple annoying things. First it has a startup .EXE which can be turned off as it's not needed. It also will have at least one entry in the Scheduler, those of which can be deleted to keep Google Updater from running after it's process has been closed out. Google Chrome does update alot though. If you want to manually check and/or download the latest version, this is quite simple to do manually. Simply open Chrome, click the wrench icon, click About Google Chrome, then it will check for latest version and also tell you your current version, after checking for an updated version u can choose to then install the latest available version.

Java has both a Quick Launch and a Scheduler. Quick Lauch will be in your normal startup apps and can be easily disabled. However to disable the Scheduler, you must open Java from Control Panel, click the Java tab, then uncheck the "Check for updates" box, then click "Never Update".

As for Windows Updates, I would leave it fully enabled but change the option to "Check for updates but allow me to decide when to download/install them". This way u can easily see when new updates are available but then choose when a good time is to download/install them on your own.

I highly suggest GameBooster2 though for gamers who want to close out even more background processes they don't need for when they are gaming. GameBooster has a unique feature of allowing you to restore all closed processes at your convenience. Thus you don't have to logoff/reboot to get them all back. GameBooster also recovers quite a bit of wastes RAM when you put it to use. Similar to the what SMART RAM does that comes with IObit Advanced WindowsCare.

Last edited by Bad_Motha: 02-05-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #14
borg_7_of_9

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpistol View Post
3 letters:
S S D

Cut your wait time by 75%

Problem solved.
I'm happy with the performance of my Raid 0 vol thank's, it don't take that long for my pc to get going... Just posting to help ppl that may not be happy..

Yes a SSD would make it a lot faster but for real speed a 4xPCI-E Revodrive @1.8Gb/s would make a Sata SSD look slow

Not every one can afford an SSD (price/storage ratio)

Last edited by borg_7_of_9: 02-05-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #15
Bad_Motha

Banned
I used to do RAID-0 and then moved to VelociRaptor as it was faster then most any RAID-0 (back when HDDs were slower). Now I just use Spinpoint F3 or WD Black as a single drive and they are faster than pretty much any RAID-0 or Raptor drive. The only thing faster is SSD. While I do use SSD in few machines, I have tons of machines so SSD isn't practical for every machine, especially when you have alot.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems