Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Old 02-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
Shoot1st

Motion Sickness

I really like this game but can't play it for more than three minutes without feeling really ill - a similar feeling to motion sickness - is there any fix to stop the camera swaying?

I really hope so, thanks in advance
Old 02-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
envirovore

Go into the Advanced Graphics options and disable Insanity effects.
envirovore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Freeman45

Try playing a little further away from your monitor.
Freeman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Nerfed

is it because you're still at the beginning?

Daniel walks like a drunk at the beginning of the game. he 'sobers up' later on tho. You can also disable insanity.

Also, some events in the game pull your view toward them.
Nerfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
Shoot1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by envirovore View Post
Go into the Advanced Graphics options and disable Insanity effects.
I've tried that, I've found that I can disable everything apart from the camera sway from left to right, which is the one that makes me feel ill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman45 View Post
Try playing a little further away from your monitor.
I play reasonably far away as it is, any further away and I won't be able to see whats going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfed View Post
is it because you're still at the beginning?

Daniel walks like a drunk at the beginning of the game. he 'sobers up' later on tho. You can also disable insanity.

Also, some events in the game pull your view toward them.
Yes, I am still at the beginning of the game, I start to feel ill the moment I start playing, within three minutes or so the feeling is so bad I just have to stop playing and close my eyes, for the next half hour or so it's a battle to keep hold of the contents of my stomach, it's that bad.

It's weird because I don't normally get travel sickness - boats planes cars - just only when I play this game.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions though, if anyone else has any ideas please post as I really want to play the game, otherwise it's just sat in my games list collecting dust, never to be played
Shoot1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #6
Nerfed

Well you could try changing the resolution (be sure to play windowed tho, otherwise changing resolution just sorta breaks the visuals), changing your mouse sensitivity, the gamma, other graphic options to make the game run smoother or the like, etc.

If you don't have trouble with other first person games, I don't see why this game should be a problem.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
envirovore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot1st View Post
I've tried that, I've found that I can disable everything apart from the camera sway from left to right, which is the one that makes me feel ill.

I play reasonably far away as it is, any further away and I won't be able to see whats going on.

Yes, I am still at the beginning of the game, I start to feel ill the moment I start playing, within three minutes or so the feeling is so bad I just have to stop playing and close my eyes, for the next half hour or so it's a battle to keep hold of the contents of my stomach, it's that bad.

It's weird because I don't normally get travel sickness - boats planes cars - just only when I play this game.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions though, if anyone else has any ideas please post as I really want to play the game, otherwise it's just sat in my games list collecting dust, never to be played
Ah, I see. The camera sway at the beginning is a forced event, it can't be disabled. It only lasts through the very first section though. By the time you enter the next area (where you get your Lantern) it will no longer sway about.

Actually, the last part that it happens is the long hallway with stairs in the beginning. If you can make it through that area you should be all good.

Edit: you could try taking Dramamine before playing. Don't know if that will help. I'd suggest a different FOV, but don't know if that can be changed in this game.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
Hi2u! Tw1TcH

Low FoV makes people sick sometimes (myself included). You can try making it a bit higher by doing the following.

/steamapps/common/amnesia the dark descent/config/game.cfg

Hit ctrl + f and search for "fov"

Change the value to 83, save the file.

Make sure Amensia or the Launcher is not open when doing this.

For my 1680x1050 resolution that is as low a value for fov as I can handle without getting sick and need to stop playing after a few minutes. I tried to make it as low as I can handle, but it may differ for you depending on your screen size. If you can't tell a difference right away use a high value like 100, then slowly lower it until your comfortable.
Hi2u! Tw1TcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
Nerfed

Quote:
Originally Posted by envirovore View Post
Ah, I see. The camera sway at the beginning is a forced event, it can't be disabled. It only lasts through the very first section though. By the time you enter the next area (where you get your Lantern) it will no longer sway about.

Actually, the last part that it happens is the long hallway with stairs in the beginning. If you can make it through that area you should be all good.

Edit: you could try taking Dramamine before playing. Don't know if that will help. I'd suggest a different FOV, but don't know if that can be changed in this game.
is it possible to get a 360 all-around view on 1600x900?

I'd like to try that for the hell of it.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
envirovore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfed View Post
is it possible to get a 360 all-around view on 1600x900?

I'd like to try that for the hell of it.
I imagine so. Try tweaking the setting Hi2u! Tw1TcH mentioned to 360. Each integer is a degree of radius.

I tried HL2DM with a FOV of 180 before. Very confusing. I can't imagine trying to render a full 360 view and have it make much sense.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
proudy03

Your eyes are disagreeing with the lateral, posterior or anterior semicircular canals in your ears. Eyes think you're moving, ears do not, and your brain is confused.

You could try playing in a smaller window in the middle of the screen with a high contrast background (white for example). In an attempt to get your eyes to believe you aren't moving with the screen. Also put lights on in the room.

It's a long shot, but nothing lost from trying.

There are also exercises that help reduce the severity of motion sickness, one of which is the Puma Method.

There is another thing; a type of band you put on your arm that constricts the nerve which sends motion sickness information to the brain, they are called Sea Bands (I have not tried these).

Or you could simply just take travel sickness pills and see if they work.

A natural alternative to sickness pills which is healthy too, would be ginger. Ginger is very good at helping with motion sickness and general nausea.

There's lots of ways to have ginger, the most effective way is probably ginger tablets. Or you could drink ginger tea perhaps but it won't work as well as a concentrated tablet. I'm sure there are many other ways to have ginger too.

My own personal way of fighting it is to "power through it". Instead of laying down and closing my eyes I do things to get my motion sensors very active, and more importantly agreeing with eachother. So i ride my unicycle around the house for a bit. Or go for a walk/run or something.

Your body can get used to motion sickness after repeated sessions (a pattern of playing, getting sick, stopping, and then restarting later when you feel better). I did it.

Due to the psychological nature of motion sickness, this will train your brain not to be such a when sometimes your motion receptors disagree with eachother. Though it takes time, obviously.

Hope some of this helped anyway.
proudy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:09 AM   #12
Nerfed

Tried setting fov to 360.

I died trying to play. It was as if I was looking through a scope or something.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
Shoot1st

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, much appreciated. Certainly plenty for me to try.

I did have a play with the FOV the last time I tried playing but it didn't seem to make a lot of difference.

I like the idea of travel sickness pills, they just might work long enough to get me through the first bit, I'll down them with a good glass of ginger ale.

Thanks again
Shoot1st is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent