Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jolly Rover

Old 09-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
Dr Greenthumb

Screen resolution ?

Hi,
I just bought the game & I was surprised to see in the game options that there was no way to set the screen resolution (or any graphic details).
Is that normal ? How can I fix it & if it's impossible, what is actually the default resolution ?

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Poodle

No you can't change the resolution. The art is hand drawn and so is rendered at its nominal resolution, which appears to be 1024x768.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
mkaliaz

Wow, no widescreen res then? I think this just changed my mind about buying it.
mkaliaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Menacia

I have 22" widescreen display and there is no tearing or whatever that might mess up screen proportions.
So no problems at all. And the relatively small resolutions doesn't matter too, at least for me.
Menacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
T@F

woh,glad i saw this thread.
I was just about to buy it,but i'm not having the hassle of my desktop icons messing up everytime i want to play it.

Put's me cc back in my wallet.
T@F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Menacia

My desktop icons don't get messed up in any way. But then again I prefer to keep a clean desktop with as many icons as possible
Old 09-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
Shenzi

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menacia View Post
I have 22" widescreen display and there is no tearing or whatever that might mess up screen proportions.
So no problems at all. And the relatively small resolutions doesn't matter too, at least for me.
yay! what s/he said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menacia View Post
My desktop icons don't get messed up in any way. But then again I prefer to keep a clean desktop with as many icons as possible
yay! what s/he said!

except the preferences about the desktop and icons thing (won't change, talking about their numbers), but that's everyones own choice.

Last edited by Shenzi: 09-20-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Shenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:31 AM   #8
T@F

Mine does as well as steam window,if left open in small mode.
I have many icons on the left side so if i go lower res they move around to fit the res.
Then when i got back to native res i have to move them all back so yeah depending how far down ya icons go they will move in lower res.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:37 AM   #9
Menacia

What I was trying to say is simple:

Don't let the fact of low resolution hinder you from playing a nice game.

Just as noone should judge a book by it's cover.

@Shenzi: thanks for quoting me!!! I discovered a nice mess up of words there. Actually I was trying to say that I try to keep as few as possible icons my deskto
Old 09-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
T@F

i'm not saying it's a bad game far from it.
just i'm to lazy to keep re-arranging my icons.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
Boiller

Banned
yea, its lame about the resolution.

But i played htis for first time last night, and i think its great game.

If you've ever played Discworld, its just like it, even a couple of the voice actors sound the same (Melvin sounds like someone from the game, maybe even Baron Greenback from Dangermouse?), and its the same type game.

i didnt like it in fullscreen so i just played it at 1024/768 or w/e it was, and ran a movie as well on my desktop next to it

why would this change your desktop icons? i have mine specially arranged and it doesnt move anything.

just play it in window mode, what a big deal
if not, its your loss b/c its a good game def worth 10 bucks or w/e
Boiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #12
mkaliaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiller View Post
yea, its lame about the resolution.

But i played htis for first time last night, and i think its great game.

If you've ever played Discworld, its just like it, even a couple of the voice actors sound the same (Melvin sounds like someone from the game, maybe even Baron Greenback from Dangermouse?), and its the same type game.

i didnt like it in fullscreen so i just played it at 1024/768 or w/e it was, and ran a movie as well on my desktop next to it

why would this change your desktop icons? i have mine specially arranged and it doesnt move anything.

just play it in window mode, what a big deal
if not, its your loss b/c its a good game def worth 10 bucks or w/e
So, you are confirming it can be played in Window mode? That is more tolerable that terrible stretching that occurs when full screen games are stretched into widescreen monitors.

I will probably pick this up next sale.

It is a bit surprising to me that a game comes out in 2010 without widescreen res support. I dont know anyone personally who still uses a fullscreen monitor these days (except for my grandparents, lol). I understand it is hand drawn and that isn't as transferable as other computer graphics, but why couldnt the developer just drawn it for widescreen (make the scenes a bit wider than required) and then cut off the edges for the few people who still have old monitors? That is the same thing they do for movies (although they also pan and scan horizontally). Every one of my friends, parents, and brothers/sisters only use widescreen monitors these days.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #13
MattNY

I know this is an old thread, but in no way should this option, or lack thereof, be a decision in your purchase. The game is fantastic and worthy of supporting.
MattNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
mkaliaz

Just as a small update, I did get the game after all. I just finished it and it was a fun adventure title. I enjoyed it. I still would have preferred a widescreen option, but it didn't take away from my enjoyment in all honesty.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jolly Rover