Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > X2: The Threat & X3: The Reunion

Old 02-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
Elfishgene

X3TC and the **modified** problem

Just thought id'e bring this to everyones attention, there is a particulary nasty bug somewhere in X3TC that continually marks the game down as modified this will stop you earning Steam achievements.

Egosoft are probably aware of the situation as there are many posts on the official forums, including a few of mine, as of yet no firm fix has been put forward.

So be warned peeps, other than that great game!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Super Fun

Banned
There are reasons for it ..

1) You have an anti virus running (including windows defender).
2) You have previously used a mod manager.
3) You started a custom game.

I've had no issues with the modified tag because I use none of the above.
Check your system again
Super Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Elfishgene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Fun View Post
There are reasons for it ..

1) You have an anti virus running (including windows defender).
2) You have previously used a mod manager.
3) You started a custom game.

I've had no issues with the modified tag because I use none of the above.
Check your system again
Yes i'm fully aware of all the reasons for it, tho some are still not fully explained, my post was just a warning to others.

Most people will start to play games with their AV runnning and be un-aware of the bug, and once the bug has been enabled it's incredibly difficult to play the game without the modified tag appearing and cancelling your chance of scoring cheevs.
Iv'e re-installed 5 times now and my game still flags as modified that's without actually modding the game and restarting without the AV running.

it's just a warning folks be aware of it.
Elfishgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
CarloTheCurious

The modified flag in itself doesn't affect anything other than Steam achievements and uplink stats - if you don't care about those, don't worry about it. Or use it as a good reason to install some scripts/mods .
CarloTheCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
valkeminator

So far I never get this bug even with antivirus warning, EXCEPT when I realize I delibrately installed mods to my game and thus get flagged as modified. However, I simply used my vanilla X3TC and start a new game and the **Modified** flag dissapears and I start progressing in achievements again.

As Carlo said, it can be used as a good excuse to try mods (I suggest Cadius' Xtra ship pack http://bit.ly/dMzmJo --- Includes NORMANDY SR1 AND SR2 From mass effect series! -- see the LONGSWORD M6 and M7 ship) In fact egosoft do support the modding community. Try the X-Tended mod or Transcend 2 mod (WARNING: Installing these mod will require a FRESH RE-INSTALL if you want to switch back to Vanilla as its a complete overhaul), I would play the Xtended and Transcend after finishing vanilla though.
valkeminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:31 AM   #6
AlfieUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarloTheCurious View Post
The modified flag in itself doesn't affect anything other than Steam achievements and uplink stats - if you don't care about those, don't worry about it. Or use it as a good reason to install some scripts/mods .
Yes, but it's very annoying when you are specifically trying to get achievements and it crops up

Clean install (actually a new PC so no left-over registry entries), Terran Start (i.e. not started custom game), AV specifically excludes Steam directory and Save folder for X3TC, and I still get the *modified* tag at least once every day that I play. I do have the Bonus Pack installed, so I'm wondering if that is tripping it up, depends upon the mechanism that they are using I suppose.

Saving regularly is the only way to protect yourself so far.
AlfieUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Lorentz Factor

No, this is unacceptable. Before the 3.1 update I had games that are upwards of 300 in game days of play time (or about 100-150 hours my time). I use mods, but none of these mods are reason for the *modified* tag because I only ever played with mods that do NOT cause this tag, these mods were well vetted and standard must-haves from the x3 forum that were clearly marked as not causing modified tags on your saved games. I play games because I enjoy them and second to that I also enjoy the game of collecting achievements. Now all my autosaves are ruined with all this time I've spent due to the modified tag since i began playing again yesterday.

This needs to be fixed and addressed, because it is unfair for them to update a product (which steam does automatically) in a manner that ruins all the hard work I've put into my game.

We shouldn't have to jump through hoops to earn our achievements because they screw something up. I shouldn't have to lose all the time and effort I've put into my games. The achievements are part of the package, they're something I play the game for just as much as any aspects of gameplay. Breaking them for me is as bad as if I couldn't play a whole mission line because of the update. Purely unacceptable and it NEEDS to be addressed. Worse off, even were I willing to jump through these hoops, I can't get a game to start without modified tags no matter whether I disable all my mods and A/V...they still pop up.

Last edited by Lorentz Factor: 03-17-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Lorentz Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #8
CarloTheCurious

That sounds rather more like your installation is modified.

Try a clean install - not just disabling the mods you already have installed (and which may well be conflicting with the new patch).

Last edited by CarloTheCurious: 03-21-2011 at 07:18 AM.
CarloTheCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
AirstrikeIvanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorentz Factor View Post
I use mods, but none of these mods are reason for the *modified* tag because I only ever played with mods that do NOT cause this tag, these mods were well vetted and standard must-haves from the x3 forum that were clearly marked as not causing modified tags on your saved games.

Any scripts not included in the X3: Terran Conflict Bonus Pack will mark your game as **modified.**

You will have to be logged in at Egosoft's main site (not the forums) and have your copy of Terran Conflict registered if I remember correctly. Also, remember that any scripts downloaded from the Community Scripts and Mods section of the Terran Conflict forums can and will mark your game **modified**.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
andrewas

Any script, yes. Mods don't necessarily include scripts though, so sometimes you can get away with it. Theres a list of vanilla safe mods somewhere on the egosoft forums.
andrewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:38 AM   #11
Elfishgene

Update,

After a huge break from pc gaming, i finally decided to come back and built myself a new rig, after all the problems with X3TC and the tag i was a bit worried about downloading it again, and for good reason, i installed the game onto a brand new gaming pc without any anti virus and not a single piece of data from any previous X games....viola **modified**

This has to be an internal problem!
Elfishgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #12
Cycrow

if it was an internal problem, more people would be suffering from it.

but as very few seem to be, it seems like ur doing something wrong somewhere.

Firrstly, what did u do to install the game, ie did u just download it from steam and leave it as that, or did u do anything more ?

Was this from starting a new game, or were u loading a previous save game?

also, if it was a new game, which game start did you select at startup ?
did you check for modified straight away after the start, or did you do something before

finally, was the game downloaded/installed onto a clean os (ie from reinstalling the os), if not, did u make sure the x3 directory didn't exist in steamapps before downloading?

and have u verified your cache to make sure all the files correctly downloaded
Cycrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:16 AM   #13
Njordi

Sooo. I just realized that my game had suddenly become ***Modified***.
I have played a modified game before, but wanted to get the achievements also. So i made a new game, and just started over.
But when I was doing the HUB plot, i loaded the other save with mods by mistake, and I think that was what ruined the clean save for me.
(didnt realize before i DIDNT get the HQ achievement a little later)
If this cant be fixed its too bad. because I am NOT doing the HUB again! No F***ing way. Game over.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > X2: The Threat & X3: The Reunion