Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 02-17-2011, 04:30 AM   #1
Gelmous

Steam offline Message!!!

as its says it'll be very helpful if we can send offline messages to give an info or if a friend is a long time offline you can send him a private message, you see since profile commenting is not private i highly prefer this feature, what if someone's profile is private and you can't comment ?

two extra idea's linked to it:

1_be able to send none-friends messages too
2_be able to send Voice messages

EDIT: any message contains links will be dragged to spam

Last edited by Gelmous: 02-17-2011 at 04:32 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
CsThm

I personally do like this idea, and steam could make it quite simple. Answer is log friends chat. So it won't only log your written messages, but also send the ones what weren't delivered yet, when both sender and receiver are online.

Also maybe an option of:
Save chat history for "write any number" days (0 = for ever).

And same option for every person in friends list, except in friends list there also should be an option to enable/disable "Use global setting". And of course when "Use global setting" is enabled, it will use an option what is set in global steam friends settings, not in friends personal settings. And yes, when "Use global setting" is disabled, than use the one what is selected for an individual friend.

Though I must disagree about the voice idea - chat can be easily saved on client, but saving an audio file just doesn't seem right.
CsThm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
Justin7

I would just love logs in general along with offline messaging. Also a message system on the community would be great
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
jemsuper

leaving behind messages

sometimes you and a steam friend want to go do something on a game, but he just doesn't come online. then you have to go without being able to say to him that he was too late and you had to go. then once your back you get agry person on yourself cause you couldn't say it.

i suggest that it is possible to "leave a message behind" for a offline person. so that will show up when he comes online.
jemsuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:15 AM   #5
qu3x^

Please Valve add none friends offline messages.
Its so hard for players to contact none friends players, for some simple silly request. Requesters don't have a chance to contact you or even notify you why you should add them.

To prevent griefers of mass spamming add rules to the behavior of offline messages.
  • 3 messages per day
  • max size of message 300 characters
  • hotlinks/links will not be displayed correctly (prefents click hijacking)
qu3x^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
SpyderCanopus

Thumbs down So simple

Why have offline messages not been implemented in Steam? Come on, guys. It's practically essential for a community to have ability to send offline messages.
SpyderCanopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
Bozzak

I agree with this one. I have wished many of times I could send a friend an IM when they are offline because they live in a different time zone. Like "Hey, lets hook up this Friday night (9 your time, 12 my time) and play ....", throughout the week they log on and get the message. Heck, this could also have helped the whole situation of me buying NFS over the weekend and not knowing a friend Gifted it to me.

Though I think it should be limited to people on your friend list only.

I would stop using Yahoo Messenger totally if this became available. Wouldn't Steam like to draw more traffic to themselves?
Old 02-17-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
Adliikhwan280

Trading would be also nice.
You offer the guy something when his offline and send him a message. When his online and you might be offline. Then he sends you an item. Then you both just click a button then the items will be swapped even though one guy is offline.

And the offline message is also a great idea. Steam really needs an offline message. There's this guy I want to trade with, but we're never online at the same time.
Adliikhwan280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #9
Adliikhwan280

Steam really needs it.

Trading would be also nice.
You offer the guy something when his offline and send him a message. When his online and you might be offline. Then he sends you an item. Then you both just click a button then the items will be swapped even though one guy is offline.

And the offline message is also a great idea. Steam really needs an offline message. There's this guy I want to trade with, but we're never online at the same time.
Adliikhwan280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
solaron

I want to see this feature in Steam. So many times someone will ask me a question in Steam and I can't answer because that person is offline. Please allow offline messages to be sent to someone with the default chat box.
solaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #11
Zizibaluba

I love it that Steam respects my privacy and doesn't keep a log of everything I chat about (because, well, you know, that's how Facebook and other communities implement offline messaging).

This is why I believe we SHOULDN'T have a offline message function.
Zizibaluba is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas