Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 02-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
IEatUrPancakes

Question If I Uninstall Steam, Will My Account OR Games be Deleted? Or Maybe Both?

(Skip to bottom if you don't want to read entire explanation)

Ok, so here's my situation: I recently downloaded Steam and bought a few games. But I alsofound out that my current PC's graphics card was too outdated to play newer Steam games such as TF2 and Half-Life. Fortunately, my family's getting close to saving up enough money to buy a new PC, but for now, I'll have to use this one, which is unfortunately running very slowly. A large part of why it's running so slowly is because Steam is taking up too much disk space... Now that's where you come in. So, if I uninstall Steam from my current PC, will my account OR games be deleted completely, or will they still exist and be fully accessable as soon as my family gets our badly-needed new one? I already checked the Support Databases and found nothing telling me what would happen. So I'd appreciate it so much if someone would happen to know and tell me. Thank you for reading...

TL;DR---> if I uninstall Steam from my current PC, will my account OR games be deleted completely, or will they still exist and be fully accessable as soon as my family gets our badly-needed new one? I searched the Support Databases and found nothing.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
0ddity

If you uninstall Steam, the local game files will be deleted. You can back them up by copying your Steamapps folder, or you can re-download them when you login to Steam on your new computer using the same account.
0ddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
T@F

No.
you got you're account for life now,unless you do something bad and get it disabled.
So you can install you're steam account on as many computers as you like as long as you are the one logging in to them.
T@F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
jakonicki93

T@F, learn the difference between you're and your.
jakonicki93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
IEatUrPancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@F View Post
No.
you got you're account for life now,unless you do something bad and get it disabled.
So you can install you're steam account on as many computers as you like as long as you are the one logging in to them.
Ok, good, that's a huge relief. Thanks for telling me!
IEatUrPancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
ozgeek

That's the whole point of Steam.

Install and play from your steam account from any internet-enabled computer. Don't have to delete from old computer (can keep playing on that one (as long as only you can login one at a time).

Though some games on Steam have limited installs. Especially those with SecuRom DRM.
ozgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Super Fun

Banned
1) Your account will not be deleted. It sits safely at a remote server, not on your computer.
2) Your games will not be deleted either. They too are on remote servers, ready to be downloaded whenever you want.
3) Installed games will be deleted from your harddrive as soon as you uninstall steam. In fact, the entire steam folder will be delted so make sure you backup other stuff you have in there.
Super Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
alcator

What is even cooler is that you can install Steam on several computers and use the same account on them all, and your games will be available on all of those computers. The only limitation is that you cannot be logged on on two different machines at the same time (if you log on on a 2nd machine while playing a game on the 1st machine, the 1st machine will notify you that you're not "online" -- it will not kick you out of single player game, but things like achievements and steam cloud will be disabled).

So it's possible to e.g. have a travel notebook with some games, and home PC with the more demanding games, and switch between them easily.
alcator is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips