Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 02-22-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
No_Fooler

Red face Steam taking so freaking long to update!

Why the hell does Steam take so long to update when I have the fastest possible internet connection? I haven't even run out of monthly data, in fact, I'm not even a third into it! I am just trying to download a tiny 106 MB download and my average speed has been 1.5 KB/s. Why the hell is this happening? I am not running anything else on my computer at this time!

On a side-note, can anyone answer me this? Why the hell does Steam have to create a new excuse to nag me every couple of days by giving me another pointless update to download (that ends up taking hours to do)? I am seriously at the end of my tether. Steam sucks.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
sekhu

Hmm. Where ar eyou located? I'm in the UK and i just downloaded a few games at 1.2MB/s (total not each, I wish!). I've never had steam do anything but max out my connection. It does sometimes pause when trying to download, which is annoying because then I have to pause it manually, then resume and then it starts the download.

Updates it does automatically generally, and download fine maxed out. Is this just with steam? What about other http downloads? FTP?
sekhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
No_Fooler

I live in Australia, however downloads on the internet or anything are always really fast. It's just whenever I do anything on Steam.
No_Fooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
sekhu

Hmm. This probably sounds silly but you do have the right setting in the settings where ti says what's your speed? T1/DSL etc? I dont' know if that actually makes a difference tbh. Maybe it doesn't.

Has this happened all the time, or is this a recent problem?
sekhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
Super Fun

Banned
Happened to me once. It was due to a corrupted Winsock which made steam download stuff extremely slow (including game icons, game details etc.) Repair it and see if that helps. It should.
Super Fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips