Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 02-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
Rammat

Increase TF2 FPS

TF2 FPS GUIDE
By Rammat (Steam ID: CorruptedNation)

This guide should hopefully increase your FPS while playing TF2, through the use of various tweaks which can easily be done. Most of the information in this guide can easily be elsewhere, but I decided to make this guide for people who don't want to search the web for hours trying to boost FPS. So, lets get started.

1. You will need to install an FPS config. There are many available, but here is one I edited myself (the original config being made by Chris. His website can be found here): http://www.mediafire.com/?whdm43a5t5bi72b

Once you download that file, go into:
my computer/program files/steam/steamapps/[YOUR STEAM ACCOUNT NAME]/team fortress 2/tf/cfg

Once there, drop the file into that folder and right-click to rename it. Delete the .txt extension and replace it with .cfg

This graphically optimizes TF2 (making it look VERY ugly.) There are a few options you can change yourself in the config if you'd like.

2.The next thing we are going to do is set launch options for TF2. To do this, open up steam, go to your library, right-click TF2, click properties and go to set launch options. Type the following into the text box, then click OK:
-high -nojoy-noipx-dxlevel 81

Note that -nojoy disables joystick usage, so if you use a joystick to play, delete that from the launch options. If you want to edit the launch options further, here is an article:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...1040-JWMT-2947

3.Now, we are going to remove some particles. I created a .zip file of all the files a personally use, which can be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/?rg743as57hnb1fh

Alternatively, there is a thread where you can remove even more particles, found here:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...6#post11156016

Once you have all the files (that you want) downloaded, navigate to:
my computer/program files/steam/steamapps/[YOUR STEAM ACCOUNT NAME]/team fortress 2/tf/particles (make a folder if one does not exit)

Once there, drop the files into that folder.

4.There is a great thread about allowing TF2 to run a little bit smoother by tweaking your anti-virus software. I cant go too in-depth with the process, so check it out here:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1093560

5.The last step is to install some skins. Most players are going to want to install no phong skins, which can be found here:
http://www.gamebanana.com/skins/95889

If you want even better performance, you can install these skins:
http://www.gamebanana.com/skins/78349

I do not recommend this choice, as it is taking awhile for the completed pack to release, but the creator IS still working on it. Until its release, you can check out the WIP page here:
http://www.gamebanana.com/wips/32441

To install skins, download the files and copy and drag the folders to:
my computer/program files/steam/steamapps/[YOUR STEAM ACCOUNT NAME]/team fortress 2/tf/

It may ask you to merge files, in which case, you should press yes.

TIPS FROM OTHER USERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uribaani View Post
You should also mention hiding cosmetics. Boosted my fps by 10-20 in certain scenarios.
Although I don't use this personally, I saw a slight increase in my FPS when i tried it. Only for those that dont care about hats and misc items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmitriMendeleev View Post
May i add one tip?

After every major update/every month or so; delete you tf folder, when you restart tf2 it will be recreate, but "better optimised" (probably misconstruing what it does, but who cares - it makes tf2 work better ).

Folder is found at this directory;
*wherever steam is kept*/Steam/Steamapps/username/temafortress2/tf

if you have configs/huds installed you'll need to save redownload them. This method will also loose you your demos and custom maps you've downloaded.

These can be fixed by simply copying your cfg and map folders and your demos to another directory. Then moving them back in when the tf folder has been recreated.
This actually fixed my TF2 lag spike problem! I suggest doing it, like he says, after every major patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsist View Post
Swift shader is also a great little shader optimization that gives me around another 15-20 frames. http://transgaming.com/business/swiftshader/technology/ - Download from there and drop the .dll's in your team fortress 2/tf folder. Some people say to put it in the bin folder, so I just put them in both.
Helped increase my FPS a tad. Yes, you do have to register to download, but it is quick, and well worth it!

Thanks for the tips!

Shippy
Uribaani
DmitriMendeleev
subsist

That about ends my guide to boost your TF2 FPS. I really hopes this helps some people who are having trouble running the game. Id like EVERYONE to enjoy this game, even if they have low spec computers (like myself ) If this helped you, please bump, as someone else in need may find it!

Last edited by Rammat: 05-21-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
to42366

This will be good for those with laggy computers.
to42366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
killerczar

chris' config is way better, the best imo
killerczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Rammat

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerczar View Post
chris' config is way better, the best imo
Thats who made the original version for the one i edited.

All i did in the edit though was remove ragdolls and alter the net settings.

Editing Post to give credit to Chris' config.

Last edited by Rammat: 05-22-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
Ichigo_Kurosaki

Wheres the link to Chris config.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
bigred240588

Chris's fps config: Where we're going, we don't need eyes
bigred240588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
Shippy

Getting rid of hats should get you an extra 20 to 40 fps.
Shippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
Uribaani

You should also mention hiding cosmetics. Boosted my fps by 10-20 in certain scenarios.
Uribaani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
Crash Man

I don't care about graphics, so a maxframes config works wonders for me on my laptop.

120 FPS all day erryday
Old 03-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
Lembit

My GTX 480 keeps dropping below 60 fps. Not very happy 'bout that.
Lembit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #11
Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lembit View Post
My GTX 480 keeps dropping below 60 fps. Not very happy 'bout that.
Nasty. It should never drop below 260 FPS
Infinity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
DmitriMendeleev

May i add one tip?

After every major update/every month or so; delete you tf folder, when you restart tf2 it will be recreate, but "better optimised" (probably misconstruing what it does, but who cares - it makes tf2 work better ).

Folder is found at this directory;
*wherever steam is kept*/Steam/Steamapps/username/temafortress2/tf

if you have configs/huds installed you'll need to save redownload them. This method will also loose you your demos and custom maps you've downloaded.

These can be fixed by simply copying your cfg and map folders and your demos to another directory. Then moving them back in when the tf folder has been recreated.

There was a good thread explainging this but I've lost it. :/
I'll edit it into this thread when I've found it.

P.S. sticky this?
Old 03-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #13
meter1060

Yes sticky please. I would like to remember this when I install tf2 on a "crappier computer"

Ps. REP + 3
meter1060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
notavirus.exe

I thought people knew by now, since they keep adding things in a modular manner the game has become so unoptimized its laughable. People with $1k+ machines can barely maintain a steady frame rate.

I remember I used to keep 80-90 fps with my 7750@3.0ghz and my 4670 gpu. Now it seems as if you need a twin xeon quad with SLI 580's to keep your frame rate from bouncing around.

Currently my Phenom II 940 and 6850 keep me always above 70 fps but it is always bouncing between 240 and 70. (with exception to using fraps, obviously I take a performance hit with fraps running).
notavirus.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #15
subsist

Swift shader is also a great little shader optimization that gives me around another 15-20 frames. http://transgaming.com/business/swiftshader/technology/ - Download from there and drop the .dll's in your team fortress 2/tf folder. Some people say to put it in the bin folder, so I just put them in both.
subsist is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2