Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Myst series > realMYST

Old 02-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
SierraPadre

Total realMYST crash fix for Vista

I've spent the last few days having almost every problem possible trying to run this game (as evidenced by my multiple posts.) And now that I've tried every different fix/patch/solution/workaround I could get my hands on, here's what I found:

I first tried it on Windows 7 64bit and had no luck (I didn't get to try that long because I had to send that computer out for maintenance)

I had some success running it in Vista with the main fix suggested here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttccat View Post
Please note; ALL credit goes to TopGunSF for this fix. I am simply just making it easier for all of you who have purchased RealMYST and are experiencing launch crashes or similar.

Temporary Fix:
-Navigate to "%Program Files%\Steam\steamapps\common\real myst"
-Run "realMYSTSetup.exe"
-Choose the display adapter that does not support T&L.

*PLEASE +REP IF THIS HELPED YOU*
Have a good play

...combined with running it in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode as an administrator (which was posted by someone else; sorry, I can't remember/find who it was.)

Most people replied that the first solution alone fixed everything. I personally found that I couldn't get it to work until I also made sure it was running in 256 colours.

Despite occasional crashing and intermittent lag, this worked pretty well until I got to the Selenitic (Spaceship) Age and couldn't take 3 steps without the whole thing crashing. I read through the forums, couldn't find anything that worked and called it a day.

Today when I started the game to try and better understand the nature of the problem, it was just crash town. Ten seconds in, five seconds in, at launch. This still makes no sense to me at all, having checked that all the settings were still the same.

SO--

I installed the Creatures Trilogy instead. Yes, I gave right up. BUT what I learned was that games meant for windows 95/98/ME work GREAT in Windows NT SP5 compatibility mode. I tried it with realMYST and it worked like magic.

So here it is!

USE WINDOWS NT SP5 COMPATIBILITY MODE
256 COLOURS
RUN AS ADMIN
IN SETUP, CHOOSE THE DISPLAY ADAPTER THAT DOES NOT SUPPORT T&L.

Some people recommend launching from the executable (as opposed to through the Steam app) but I found it didn't make any particular difference for me.

The graphics looked fantastic, it ran as smooth as butter, no lag, and man what a game. The only problem keeping me from saying this fix is completely perfect is that I did have the game crash 4 or 5 times throughout the entire game (beginning to end) so make sure you still save frequently.

Have fun!

PS
This might work for other OSs as well, so if you're at a loss give it a shot.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:38 AM   #2
Vanessas

None of this worked for me. But For whatever reason running it in windows 2000/me Compatibility mode worked. XP and 98 did not.

I highly suggest trying it on windows 2000 mode. No other settings are required.

Last edited by Vanessas: 05-05-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Vanessas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
bobsureuncool

Thumbs up thanks sierraprade

These worked for me:
USE WINDOWS NT SP5 COMPATIBILITY MODE
256 COLORS
RUN AS ADMIN
IN SETUP, CHOOSE THE DISPLAY ADAPTER THAT DOES NOT SUPPORT T&L.(thank you Vanessas, Setup is now found as icon on steam just under game)
Thank you.

I would just add go to the file for real myst application, right click on it to bring up properties and click on compatibility tab and check mark the boxes for the conditions, NT SP5, 256 Colors, and Run as Administrator. I did not see how to do this in Steam but then it came to me what is meant to do.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
trainfreak57

Thank you for posting this fix. I have Vista and the game just wouldn't work properly, even the opening credits. I now run it using NT 4.0 SP5 compatibility mode and as an administrator. I tried with and without the 256 colours box checked and it runs just as well on either.
trainfreak57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Myst series > realMYST