Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Old 02-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
Omphofo-Bravo

Killzone 3 - First Impressions.

I'll be perfectly honest. I didn't expect a lot other than more of the same from Killzone 2 but, I quickly changed my mind after playing the sequel - Killzone 3.

This is not a review. I still haven't completely finished the campaign and only joined a few MP matches. All I'm talking about here are the biggest differences that make this game stand taller than ever before.

First of all, KZ3 starts off minutes after the events in KZ2, taking you on a fast paced, shooter fan's joyride where you can shoot as many Higgs as you can stomache. The waves of targets just keep coming and the best part about it is, you never get tired of it. The weapons are many and fun to use and there's never any shortage of ammo, as there are several ammuniton caches scattered around every level. This is not a sci-fi survival game, this is interplanetary warfare and it is deliciously awesome. I usually get sick to my stomache of flag-waving wargames where America is the big hero and the rest of the world is pretty much nonexistant, but Killzone 3 brings war to a fun and neutral level. Sure there are World War 2 references between the Helghans and the ISA but they are only superficial, and superficial only goes so far.

Now what are the big improvements? Well aside from the average, non-engaging plotline, there are several, great improvements. The controls have been tweaked to feel much more responsive and all the stuff you'd expect from a great shooter is in there. You can sneak, walk, run, sprint, slide into cover, vault over, peek over and around cover, aim down the sights, do context sensetive melee kills and last but not least - jump. Yay! The only big give-away is that you still don't get the same accuracy as you do with a mouse but, the aim sensetivity is actually quite good at default speeds and then you can still crank that way up.

The AI is still good infact, it's pretty damn impressive. The game is challenging even on normal. The AI is good at taking cover from fire and grenades. It even outsmarted me on more than one occasion in close quarters, taking me out from behind or flushing me out from cover with well-placed grenades. You don't really feel the need to be cautious though as your partner(s) easily can revive you if they're withing range or aren't too busy fending for themselves. The game also saves often and conveniently.

There are some new weapons and vehicles and you get to use them a lot. There's a machinegun-mounted jetpack which lets you take to higher ground. The good thing about this is that you can switch between it and your primary weapon, so you're not locked in jetpack-mode as long as you carry it. There's a portable mortar cannon which has two firing-modes, one shoots three smaller rockets which reminds you of fireworks - leathal fireworks - and the other lets you take out selected targets with, well, a mortar. You can also hold down the primary fire for a combined total of NINE fizzling rockets, and the destruction is simply beautiful to watch.

Graphics, performance and design. It doesn't really need to be said but I'll say it anyway. The game looks phenomenal from top to bottom. Guerilla's updated engine is powerful indeed as it cranks out higher polygon models, higher resolution textures, improved deferred lighting and particle effects. From the icy coastal lines and frozen mountain tops pounded by constant blizzards, the destroyed cities, the alien wildlife to the Helghan war factories - the artists have done an amazing job. Everything is just incredibly detailed. A small example of the attention to detail would be the glowing embers in the city, that sticks to the walls and lights up a small area around them. All this added with the chaotic battles and fast-paced vehicle segments - it's running at a stable 30fps with no screen tearing. Granted, it has some minor aliasing issues and for those who can't stand anything remotely close to 1280x720 probably don't even bother with console games anyway.

That's it. Anyone who's on the fence of buying this game - you won't regret it.

Any Killzone fans here?
For multiplayer, my nickname is: Omphofo
I'd rather change it to Agent^Chris but I don't know if it's even possible. Oh well.

Last edited by Omphofo-Bravo: 03-10-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
OddFlame

I thought Killzone 2 was average, decent at best. I put the game back on the shelf rather disappointed.

I've played the demo of Killzone 3 and I definitely like the improvement in the controls, but I don't want to buy it unless it's really a significant improvement.
OddFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:24 AM   #3
Omphofo-Bravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddFlame View Post
I thought Killzone 2 was average, decent at best. I put the game back on the shelf rather disappointed.

I've played the demo of Killzone 3 and I definitely like the improvement in the controls, but I don't want to buy it unless it's really a significant improvement.
I liked it but it felt a bit claustrophobic for the most part and the battles didn't have that edge.. Killzone 3 improves in both areas. The environments are opened up and the battles are crazy fun imo.
Omphofo-Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
InBloom

I played the killzone 3 demo and I noticed the physics were lacking when you shoot the baddies. Was the demo just an older version of the game? Or are the physics dumbed down from killzone 2. Killzone 2 physics made me come back and play it again. I tried playing it again recently and finally noticed how boring the game is, but the physics are still awesome.
InBloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Omphofo-Bravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by InBloom View Post
I played the killzone 3 demo and I noticed the physics were lacking when you shoot the baddies. Was the demo just an older version of the game? Or are the physics dumbed down from killzone 2. Killzone 2 physics made me come back and play it again. I tried playing it again recently and finally noticed how boring the game is, but the physics are still awesome.
I actually haven't really thought about it while playing. The physics are still good and the ragdolls are just as I remember them from KZ2, I think. It just feels different since the weapons sound and handle differently this time around.

I'm trying to find something regarding the physics. If they have toned it down, that would suck of course but, Killzone 3 still exceeds in all other areas.

Edit: can't find any info on it. Been watching a youtube video to see if I can spot any differences but I honestly can't find anything that would suggest that there's been any dumbing down of the physics. I think it's the same.

Last edited by Omphofo-Bravo: 02-28-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Omphofo-Bravo

I've been playing some more today and made further analysis of the ragdoll physics. While the weapons are much different in this game, the ragdolls are the same and they look great.

Just incase anyone was still wondering.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
BS_1

I enjoyed the beta. The game is actually sitting in the other room right now but I didn't get around to playing it yet. I'll probably play it soon though.
BS_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
DexterKills

Banned
I like this game its fun blowing up.
DexterKills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
BS_1

The campaign is eh so far. I'm not sure about it yet. It didn't really hold my attention too long. I'll try and play it again in a couple days.
BS_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:38 AM   #10
Omphofo-Bravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS_1 View Post
The campaign is eh so far. I'm not sure about it yet. It didn't really hold my attention too long. I'll try and play it again in a couple days.
How far in are you? I never put much faith in the plot but it does pick up after the first part of the game and you're in the "forest". The scale of the action gets crazier too.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic