Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Painkiller series

Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
Predxenomorph

Painkiller: Redemption video review

My little video review of Painkiller: Redemption...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zvNO9J-ils
Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
Eggtooth

Yep this is your score. But still, review is as bad as game you reviewed (even worse).
I know people trying strongly to hate redemption for no reason, just thorwing nothing.

You really hate that 5 bucks for game. REALLY. Today's world is strange. JoWooD should price it higher. Even low price is not satysfying gamers. That's why developers making high prices. HOW CAN YOU HATE FAN-MADE-GAME..... Done by non-budget team, that has 3 main people, and several outsiders that only helped us...

If you are the REAL fan of the original one, help us improving this project, instead of being spoiled...

Last edited by Eggtooth: 02-28-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Eggtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
sayed_stafa

This isn't a video review. A video review would require both video and a review. You didn't review the game, you just recommended getting Black Edition. Also, this was just audio. The only visuals was you playing around on the menu screen. Where is the gameplay?
sayed_stafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Predxenomorph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggtooth View Post
I know people trying strongly to hate redemption for no reason, just thorwing nothing.
But that's the thing, I don't hate it for no reason.

1. The final boss was reused for absolutely no reason. Given the game has it's own editor, you could not a make a new boss design for Eve? The reuse of many enemies in general kind of got stale.

NOTE: I do have to give you commendation on the factory level though, it was a standout, if the only one.

2. We've cliff-hanged for the third time now. Having Allister take over after the first game at least made sense, and having Eve change sides in the expansion was a big shock. This game has you defeat Eve only to return to the status quo for a third time. I'm sorry, but it felt like I just spent 4 hours accomplishing nothing.

I don't care if you're a 3 person development team or a 500 person development team. I hold everyone to the same standard. There are big budget games I've hated too, so don't act like I'm picking on you.

Now with all that said, I do not hate you as a developer, as you did not distance yourself from the source material and the experience did not change. Which is why I gave a 5/10. The experience just felt unsatisfying for the two aforementioned reasons above. I'm sorry, but this is how I feel about it.
Predxenomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
RavN

That review was very disapointing to me. You need to work on your speech and sentence structure. Also, you never reviewed the actual game. No one cares about the story in painkiller. You should review the gameplay, sound, graphics, new content etc. You spent too long introducing the game and too long saying everything you already said 3 times in the conclusion. If you want my honest opinion I would give your review a 2/10.

But yeah your right about the actual game. Seems to be a cash in project from my perspective. No new gameplay mechanics and criminally short.
RavN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
inkubus

I take it you guys don't seem to know about the future DLCs
like new Chapters that are gonna be added
or maybe you just don't care and would rather stick with your doom-and-gloom attitude toward the game
inkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
cyborg34573

The game is really fun and for 5 dollars it is worth it.
But one thing dissapointed me tho. Its the randomness of the levels and the enemies. In the first painkiller the enemies always suited the map they appeard in. For example in the cemetery there wer skeletons and undead knights, in the church there wer monks, in the catacombs there wer trolls, in the plagued town you got deseased people and witches, etc, they just fit the maps perfectly. In redemption the maps seem to be random and lack the atmosphere/sense the first painkiller had, random types of enemies spawn in a map where they dont belong in, making it appear "messy/random" to me, i feel like the devs just made everytype of enemy spawn in everymap to give players alot of challenge.

So in my opinion the game is really fun as an action shoot em up game, but thats the only similarity i can see to the original painkiller. Map design/atmosphere/sense, and the thing i mentiond above are missing in redemption. Not saying its a bad game tho because i am am enjoying it very much.

Edit:
I was really hoping for a final proper ending too but ahh another cliffhanger. Reminds me of half life 2 haha. Idk maybe the story will end in some future painkiller 2 game who knows.

Ps: Also level designs could have been better.

Last edited by cyborg34573: 02-28-2011 at 12:57 PM.
cyborg34573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
Mexicutioner

Why so harsh on the OP? Hes just informing new buyers that for the same price you can get the original painkiller which offers alot more levels and is an overall better quality of a game.
Mexicutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
soviet_sharkey

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg34573 View Post
The game is really fun and for 5 dollars it is worth it.
But one thing dissapointed me tho. Its the randomness of the levels and the enemies. In the first painkiller the enemies always suited the map they appeard in. For example in the cemetery there wer skeletons and undead knights, in the church there wer monks, in the catacombs there wer trolls, in the plagued town you got deseased people and witches, etc, they just fit the maps perfectly. In redemption the maps seem to be random and lack the atmosphere/sense the first painkiller had, random types of enemies spawn in a map where they dont belong in, making it appear "messy/random" to me, i feel like the devs just made everytype of enemy spawn in everymap to give players alot of challenge.

So in my opinion the game is really fun as an action shoot em up game, but thats the only similarity i can see to the original painkiller. Map design/atmosphere/sense, and the thing i mentiond above are missing in redemption. Not saying its a bad game tho because i am am enjoying it very much.

Edit:
I was really hoping for a final proper ending too but ahh another cliffhanger. Reminds me of half life 2 haha. Idk maybe the story will end in some future painkiller 2 game who knows.

Ps: Also level designs could have been better.
While original is better I gotta say this
opera and ninjas
snow bridge ninjas and samurai
what I loved about PK is that some levels have totally random enemies like those examples
soviet_sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
MrCrabs

Banned
OP

Well done comparing a big budget game to a small one

also get something done about your voice bro LOL
MrCrabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
cyborg34573

^ I honestly thought they wer going for a "chinatown gangwar" theme on those levels haha. But for me those wer the few not so good levels in painkiller, it was kinda drifting away from the gloomy/dark theme of the game. Reminded me of nitro family, the downtown levels.

@ soviet_sharky btw

@OP
I must agree with some people saying your video review was not so good. I was hoping youd show some gameplay and actualy review the game, soundtrack,gameplay,graphics,levels,AI, etc , but your video was just bashing the game all the way to the end, which doesnt make it a proper review. But its your first time doing a review video so i guess its understandable, hopefully next time itl be better.

Last edited by cyborg34573: 02-28-2011 at 02:58 PM.
cyborg34573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggtooth View Post
Yep this is your score. But still, review is as bad as game you reviewed (even worse).

You really hate that 5 bucks for game. REALLY. Today's world is strange. JoWooD should price it higher. Even low price is not satysfying gamers. That's why developers making high prices. HOW CAN YOU HATE FAN-MADE-GAME..... Done by non-budget team, that has 3 main people, and several outsiders that only helped us...

If you are the REAL fan of the original one, help us improving this project, instead of being spoiled...
There is no pleasing some people that just live to hate. I don't see any games being made by the OP so really wouldn't be all the concerned.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #13
wingers17

I don't get it either, I don't know why all the complaints, I love the game, I am getting what I expected from it. I am not going to compare it to the other games, It is good on it's own. Thanks Eggtooth.
wingers17 is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Painkiller series