Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
omnibahumut

nVidia(8xxx,9xxx,gt2xx, gt3xx) Driver Crashing only in TF2

Now it may be because I tend to play TF2 for long stretches of time, but so far I've only experienced this in TF2. I have largely ignored it because it "recovers" and I can keep playing. I get the notification bubble: "nVidia driver 260.99 has stopped responding, but was recovered successfully."

Prior to that message the game locks up, sound loops, and then I lose picture on both monitors for a few moments as it recovers, and then a couple of seconds later everything comes back and I can continue playing TF2 as normal (though of course I've been killed by then, so its somewhat inconvenient).

However, somewhat recently (past 2 or 3 TF2 updates, though I don't know if there is any correlation), and long after the update to 260.99, and no other known updates, TF2 graphics will completely glitch out ( http://steamcommunity.com/id/omnibah...75616478153221 ). I can still hear sound, so I can tell that the game has not locked up by moving around, firing my weapon, change classes, bring up game menu, etc. The colors move around and change a little as I do these things, but I obviously can't do anything so I have to close the window and restart tf2.

I am going to re-install the drivers and see if that makes any changes, but while I do that I was wondering if anyone else with a similar nvidia card/driver experiences these issues? Is my card defective? (honestly don't recall if this has happened since I got my card).

Old 02-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
GinXengster

Banned
Let me take a Guess, you are on a 8800? Those cards are known to do that in this game for some reason (If not, your card is over heating). As for me 260.99 works for me, I had updated to the lastest and I kept bluescreening on them even after driver sweep and clean installs so I went back to 260.99 and no more bluescreens.
GinXengster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
ozku

I had similar problems with my GTX260, fixed it by using -dxlevel 81 in launch options and setting graphics settings to low. I also found out the crashes were more common in badlands and freight than most other maps.

Strangely enough a friend of mine of who uses same GPU doesn't experience this issue even with all settings max. Only thing he disabled was the shine around character models with mat_specular 0 command, you might wanna try doing the same.
ozku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
omnibahumut

Actually its a GTX 260... just reinstalled/updated to 266.58 so we'll see how things go tonight. I thought it was overheating, so I turned up some fan speeds a while ago but that didn't seem to change anything.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
Ranx

The culprit is most likely PCI Link State Power Management, which tends to fail when demand is low and then quickly ramps up. This can happen mid game when tf2 suffers a hiccup.

Windows 7

Control Panel> Power options> Change plan settings (for selected plan)> Change advanced power settings

Advanced settings tab [expand] PCI Express> Link State Power Management> Setting OFF

Apply, OK, Reboot
Ranx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
CAPS-LOCK

I've got an 8800 gt and 260.99 works fine for me. 266.58 on the other hand gave me some lighting bugs so i rolled back.
CAPS-LOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
omnibahumut

After updating to 266.58, and playing TF2 for a while, the driver did not crash, but I did get a graphical glitch. I tried moving around a little bit until the game quit without even a dialog.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
omnibahumut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranx View Post
The culprit is most likely PCI Link State Power Management, which tends to fail when demand is low and then quickly ramps up. This can happen mid game when tf2 suffers a hiccup.

Windows 7

Control Panel> Power options> Change plan settings (for selected plan)> Change advanced power settings

Advanced settings tab [expand] PCI Express> Link State Power Management> Setting OFF

Apply, OK, Reboot
I will try this, thanks
Old 03-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Penile

try messing with your gpu settings, i lowered my shader and core clock and the problem went away
Penile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
Lex Luger

Ive had the same thing happen to me

Im running a Gtx 260 55nm EVGA at 720 clock 1440 shader and 1152 memory.

Anyway, like you said, it downclocks to 400 800 100 memory. So far it only seems to be happening in TF2, although I think it may have happened once while running brothers in arms 3.

Acutally, 400 core would be fine and quite playable if memory wasnt down to 100. I have to force a reset to get clocks back.

Also 260.99 also causes the issue to happen, so I reset to 258.96 2 days ago, but I havent been able to play TF2 much. Like someone said, it wasnt happening until about 4 weeks ago or so. 260.99 seemed fine for months.

It happened much more frequently it seemed using 266.58 than 260.99.

VERY ANNOYING ISSUE. PLEASE POST IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING IT AS WELL.

I thought i could my power supply or new rig as I just built 2500k and it was totally making me flip out.

I suspected it was PCI express power management as well, but I changed that weeks ago when it first started happening along with any other power saving options and it didnt help.

I heard about fan issues where it stops working randomly, I really would like to rule that out completely, since it possible that fan goes out even with custom profile in riva tuner.
Lex Luger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
MajorTankz

I had the same problem when I was running 260.99 on a GTS 250. Random TF2 crashes regularly. Took a while to actually get time to see the "driver has been restored" notification."

Don't use any 2xx.xx drivers on 200 series cards. Those newer drivers are specifically designed for fermi GPU's and only have compatibility with older cards. Version 197.45 is the last driver update to offer performance gain for 200 series cards. They're known to be most stable. I only tried 260.99 to see if the New Vegas patch affected 200 series cards. It didn't.
MajorTankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
satsun

I've never had this problem personally but at work I ended up having to replace the motherboard (integrated nvidia GPU) on a laptop to make the problem go away. This was the driver recovery error so it might be a hardware problem.
satsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #13
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Luger View Post
Ive had the same thing happen to me
[...]
VERY ANNOYING ISSUE. PLEASE POST IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING IT AS WELL.

I thought i could my power supply or new rig as I just built 2500k and it was totally making me flip out.
The funny thing is this has happened to me also. (Also, a owner of a GTX260)
Luckily just a copule of times, and i play TF2 a lot.
You know what's more funny about that?... My power supply just went dead today. It went Willy Wonka last week... tonight totally dead.

Coincidence, Paranoia?
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
LokiXIII

it happens to me as well, although is rarer since i did what ranx said a few months back.

it does happen. but VERY rarely (i have 266.58)
Old 03-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #15
Lex Luger

I found this thread on Guru 3d along with a crappy, but working fix

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=335065

Go to device manager and right click your video card, then disable and enable it to reset the clocks. Seems like this issue has been around for a while and comes and goes.

Also, I sure hope isnt power supply related as I just bought a new 80+gold power supply three months ago.
Lex Luger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2