Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RIFT

Old 03-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
ZI-Nagel

After being addicted to WOW once, ...

- I totally don't want to pay a monthly fee higher than 10 dollars (~ 7.5 euros) for a MMO.
- I want to easily be able to opt in and opt out on the fly.
- I propably prefer a time based accounting system (thus, if you don't play like 40 hours per week, you don't pay like 100% but only 25% if you are working actually - or learning something - besides gaming)
- Thank you for your comments.

Kind regards,
Michael
Old 03-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Johnster1

The 40 hours/week fee isn't going to happen. Think of all the WoW "addicts" (note: there is no recorded medical evidence of video-game addiction, but feel free to use the term. No-one's bothered about stats) who play 24/7 - imagine how much money Blizzard would lose out on.

The developers of Aion, Age of Conan, LOTRO won't do this, and neither will Trion.

You'll pay what everyone else has to pay - besides, you should've bought the pre-order fee - it's £35 for a total of six months, which is the best deal of them all. You only have to pay £8.99 per month, and you're getting 30 days free. There's also pre-paid cards if they help.

EDIT: Here's a link showing you what this game offers compared to WoW. Addicted to WoW? You'll be selling everything to play this game (well, not really):

LOOK AT COMMENT #22 (says on the right hand side) and it should show you LOADS of links to images. I think this is worth paying a measly amount of $10/month.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...1766389&page=2

Last edited by Johnster1: 03-01-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Needed to add more
Johnster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
Vaskre

They tried the time-based fee in APB. Look at how well that turned out for them.

Western MMOs are used to paying a monthly fee, and the standard is $15 for a current gen one. If you want cheaper, you can invest into the future of the game with long-term plans. That's the dice.

Honestly, MMOs aren't really intended for the super casual player. You're better off investing into a quasi-MMO, something like League of Legends or so. The entire business model for games likes Rift, WoW, EQ, etc is to keep players grinding for something, even the hardcore ones. Thus, the game ends up trying to sink as much of your time as it can. I just need that next drop, or to finish this quest chain, or to bring my PvP team to X tier, etc, etc..
Vaskre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
Johnster1

There's not much else really you can do. Play free MMOs or standard RPGs, that's all I can add ^_^
Johnster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
FlyingRhino

Play Lord of the Rings Online.
FlyingRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Beer_Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnster1 View Post
The 40 hours/week fee isn't going to happen. Think of all the WoW "addicts" (note: there is no recorded medical evidence of video-game addiction, but feel free to use the term. No-one's bothered about stats) who play 24/7 - imagine how much money Blizzard would lose out on.

The developers of Aion, Age of Conan, LOTRO won't do this, and neither will Trion.

You'll pay what everyone else has to pay - besides, you should've bought the pre-order fee - it's £35 for a total of six months, which is the best deal of them all. You only have to pay £8.99 per month, and you're getting 30 days free. There's also pre-paid cards if they help.

Might want to recheck LOTRO. Turbine made LOTRO free to play along with Dungeons and Dragons Online a while ago....

It only lets you into certain areas and levels but its free =/
Still wish they would do this with Asheron's Call.. but they wont.
Beer_Golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #7
*JarateMAN*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskre View Post
They tried the time-based fee in APB. Look at how well that turned out for them.

Western MMOs are used to paying a monthly fee, and the standard is $15 for a current gen one. If you want cheaper, you can invest into the future of the game with long-term plans. That's the dice.

Honestly, MMOs aren't really intended for the super casual player. You're better off investing into a quasi-MMO, something like League of Legends or so. The entire business model for games likes Rift, WoW, EQ, etc is to keep players grinding for something, even the hardcore ones. Thus, the game ends up trying to sink as much of your time as it can. I just need that next drop, or to finish this quest chain, or to bring my PvP team to X tier, etc, etc..

Its actually good apb went under because now its comming back and will be f2p. For those who are interested search for apb reloaded, currently in closed beta.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
dannythefool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_Golem View Post
It only lets you into certain areas and levels but its free =/
LotRO is free but if you want to see everything you'll be paying through the nose for it. In theory you can always say that you will not spend more than $10 per month but in practice, the success they are having with the f2p model seems to indicate that most people don't actually manage to do that. There is so much stuff you can pay for on top of the stuff you have to pay for (quests in every region, for example) that it's quite easy to lose track of how much money you're spending on it. And if you are the exception and can control yourself, then it'll be insanely annoying to see what other people are buying, leveling up crafting more slowly than others because you don't buy ingredient packs, not having mounts as early, later not having a mount in Moria as early all over again, etc.
dannythefool is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RIFT