Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 03-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
deer

Steam store page recognizes country

Steam store page recognizes country and selects language accordingly. It wouldn't be a problem if there wasn't some bugs in translation and presentation. For example "Sign in" and "join steam" buttons are not aligned (but only in firefox, IE and chrome works good) in polish translation and "sign in" should be translated to "Zaloguj się" and upper "login" button to "logowanie".

Last edited by deer: 03-04-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Justin7

It always had most languages, but today I logged on the community site and it was all in Dutch. I haaatteeeeee having sites in Dutch. Luckily you can just change it back to English on the top right
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
It always had most languages, but today I logged on the community site and it was all in Dutch. I haaatteeeeee having sites in Dutch. Luckily you can just change it back to English on the top right
Yes it had but it wasn't changing them automatically so I never bothered to check them ;D
deer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
deepsea28

try this http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us
Old 03-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Thebigone

Quote:
Originally Posted by deer View Post
bugs in translation and presentation. For example "Sign in" and "join steam" buttons are not aligned (but only in firefox, IE and chrome works good) in polish translation and "sign in" should be translated to "Zaloguj się" and upper "login" button to "logowanie".
Here you go.

http://translation.steampowered.com/
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PolishTranslations
Thebigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
AciD

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea28 View Post
In any way it would be http://store.steampowered.com/?l=english

cc sets pricing and availability, it doesn't affect the language.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:08 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #7
afarnsworth

Valve
The Steam Store and Steam Community now use your browser's language as a default, but will still remember your preference if you select a language. It's actually not based on country.

If you don't like seeing sites in a particular language, you should probably update the language preference in your browser. The setting differs by browser, but this w3c page has instructions for most.
afarnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by afarnsworth View Post
The Steam Store and Steam Community now use your browser's language as a default, but will still remember your preference if you select a language. It's actually not based on country.

If you don't like seeing sites in a particular language, you should probably update the language preference in your browser. The setting differs by browser, but this w3c page has instructions for most.
I like this feature but it looks pretty bad when there is half page in Polish and half in English (games descriptions). But it will help many gamers all over the world, for many it is better when they have sites in their native language. I modified my bookmarks link with var ?l=english and it is no longer a problem for me. Maybe in some future you will have enough employees to run steampowered in all the languages. Also I will bug people from my language translation team to change some things ;D

Is it possible to fix this line "Czas grania: 3 godz. w ciągu minionych 2 tygodni"(Playing time:3 hrs past 2 weeks) in steam community bacause it is wrapping badlly and adding div to "3 godz. w ciągu minionych 2 tygodni"(3 hrs past 2 weeks) this part would help with the problem.

PS I would like to thank polish translation team for the work that they put into it (most of the translation is perfect but it sounds not that great in some places) and keep up a good work guys.

Last edited by deer: 03-08-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
KubanitoS

A lot of foreign translations are fail. Here is my example. The word "store" can be translated (at least) into two different words, meaning the same result = store.

In my language:

1# meaning = tárolás = to store something in your house/car/pocket.

#2 meaning = bolt = the place where you can shop, the actual store.

Guess which one is being used in the hungarian translation...
KubanitoS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubanitoS View Post
A lot of foreign translations are fail. Here is my example. The word "store" can be translated (at least) into two different words, meaning the same result = store.

1# meaning = to store something in your house/car/pocket.

#2 meaning = the place where you can shop, the actual store.

Guess which one is being used in the hungarian translation...
Go check translation page and opt in to help with it. http://translation.steampowered.com/ I don't know for sure but it probably is used only on steam store page and not in steam client itself.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion