Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Space series

Old 03-05-2011, 02:32 AM   #1
arfWignack

Hate to ask, but is there any way to disable all the DLC?

Anybody know how to disable all this auto-DLC? I really hate to rain on the parade, but I would much rather play the game without all of the suits and extra weapons.

My reason is that I want to keep the game as hard as the designers originally created it. The unlocked DLC weapons and suits is a cheat, and makes things too easy.

It's great if everyone else enjoys them, and I appreciate Visceral putting in the effort, I just don't want to be forced to have them.

I realize I can just ignore the 0 dollar items, but it changes the game in other subtle ways that make it easier.

For example, all the ammo types are already at the store, whether I found the schematic or not.

The limited inventory slots encourage you to make some resource decisions as you play- but if all ammo types are available, it changes that dynamic too.

The PC version already has the Redeem Code dialog, why did they not use it for the people that wanted it all?

Any way to restore the original steam exe?
Old 03-05-2011, 02:57 AM   #2
ASnogarD

I must say I agree with this.

I think the manner that the DLC was tossed into the game without needing to do a thing is lazy, a really loud way of telling customers you cant be arsed to bother with this job.

Couldnt they have hidden the schematics away, or at least have a price tag on the things... or hell, make it a newgame+ only addition.

... make matters worse the new button config claiming to allow up to 8 mouse buttons doesnt work properly... I tried to assign TK to my Mx518's side buttons before I started a game and it worked, but later when I loaded up a saved game the button wasnt assigned, and it refused to assign the button.
( think it was because at firt I assigned the new button config outside a game, and then tried to use the config in a previously saved game... and I think a previously saved game wont allow re configuring buttons, thats a guess though. )
ASnogarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:14 AM   #3
InfectedWar

Yep I'm doing a new game walkthrough on zealot (NO + MODE) and i'm not touching the dlc, though I did patch the game so the conduit rooms unlock.
InfectedWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
trek554

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedWar View Post
Yep I'm doing a new game walkthrough on zealot (NO + MODE) and i'm not touching the dlc, though I did patch the game so the conduit rooms unlock.
the patch unlocks the conduit rooms?
trek554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
arfWignack

I did some experiments to get the initial exe back. Reinstalling the entire game does not work, as it automatically updates to latest version. I did have access to the original file via System Restore though.

I can confirm that if you put it back to using the original program file that it works as expected without all the DLC cruft. If you need the file, PM me.
arfWignack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #6
United_Strafes

Ya I'm a big Dead Space fan but refused to pay the $60. When I saw it was $40 I snatched it up. Then the immersion is kinda ruined seeing EVERYTHING that is available 10 min into the game and at no cost at that. I'm not even sure what everyone was wanting in the first place none of the DLC stuff is that special.

Anyway so I think I put on the suit he was supposed to get anyway, but idk cause I never played before. Besides that there is no way to actually pay for it anyway it's all free, and theres no way to progress without doing it. Really kinda for new players who may not know what the hell is going on.

Besides that it seems to be a great game so far. Great sound a lot better control. That whole patch thing is nearly gamebreaking though and to anyone about to buy this I would try to wait to see if a fix comes along, cause if you care about progression and playing the game for what it is then this patch is nearly game-breaking. Definately glad I paid $40 instead of $60.
United_Strafes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #7
Jings

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfWignack View Post
Anybody know how to disable all this auto-DLC? I really hate to rain on the parade, but I would much rather play the game without all of the suits and extra weapons.

My reason is that I want to keep the game as hard as the designers originally created it. The unlocked DLC weapons and suits is a cheat, and makes things too easy.

It's great if everyone else enjoys them, and I appreciate Visceral putting in the effort, I just don't want to be forced to have them.

I realize I can just ignore the 0 dollar items, but it changes the game in other subtle ways that make it easier.

For example, all the ammo types are already at the store, whether I found the schematic or not.

The limited inventory slots encourage you to make some resource decisions as you play- but if all ammo types are available, it changes that dynamic too.

The PC version already has the Redeem Code dialog, why did they not use it for the people that wanted it all?

Any way to restore the original steam exe?
Just dont use the crap...second you still cant use all the crap last check despite the patch.

third the game is to easy, so the only way you can make it hard is buy retaining ya 1st suit ya get and never upgrading or buying anything...then you will have a proper challenge worthy of completing the game with.

hell the extra suits really dont cheat crap, i prefer the default suits avilable on ya 1st play through.

plus weapons? the handcannon is a joke and in my opinion if you enjoy using it and like it it = your IQ of an idiot or baby as they like toys like that were men like real toys...women to .

and english aint my 1st language before i hear that back in my face lolz .
Old 03-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Sweetz

Is there anything too small for PC gamers to actually not b*tch and moan about?
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
Krultek

It's people like you that are the reason gaming companies are in the they are in. You whine about what they give you. You whine about what they don't. You whine about what they haven't thought up yet. You whine about things they won't. What will it take to please you? Far too much for any one company to surmise. Just do us all a favor and be happy when they give you a pleasant surprise.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:05 AM   #10
arfWignack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krultek View Post
It's people like you that are the reason gaming companies are in the they are in. You whine about what they give you. You whine about what they don't. You whine about what they haven't thought up yet. You whine about things they won't. What will it take to please you? Far too much for any one company to surmise. Just do us all a favor and be happy when they give you a pleasant surprise.
Sorry Krultek, but you are missing the point.

It's not about whining, they actually broke the game for us by adding this DLC in this bizarre, everything is free, fashion.

If they'd added it via the redeem code mechanism, everybody would have won.

I want to play the game the way the designers built it.

Case in point: If I use any of the free suits offered, I get 15 inventory slots, whereas the normal suit has 10. So, you never have to make any decisions about inventory. OK, so I can ignore anything zero priced.

2nd case in point: They unlock all of the ammo immediately. So no matter what gun I buy, I can always buy ammo. In the original game, you could get guns, but not ammo until you found the schematic. This takes away any gun management aspect of the game.

Simple and to the point: they broke the game with the DLC. It's not whining. It was a surprise, but it wasn't pleasant.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
ASnogarD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
Is there anything too small for PC gamers to actually not b*tch and moan about?
Is there any negitive comment that a PC gamer can make without a console player jumping in and complaining that PC gamers complain too much.

I am pretty sure you are trolling for a flame riddled reply, sorry I wont flame but I'll bite and answer.
The ONLY thing I wanted in the patch was to fix the bugs where players were unable to earn the rewards as designed, and the re mapping of some keys to the mouse buttons.

What I got was all the DLC equipment tossed in at 0 price at the very first store you get to ( even if you havent completed the game once ), the rewards from completing are STILL bugged, and the re mapping of keys to the mouse buttons doesnt work properly.

Not worth complaining about ?
ASnogarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #12
Katboy333

You could just.... hmmm I dont know,NOT USE THEM?
Katboy333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:44 AM   #13
arfWignack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katboy333 View Post
You could just.... hmmm I dont know,NOT USE THEM?
Sorry Katboy333, you also missed the point.

Even if I ignore the 0 price suits and 0 price guns in the store, they also unlocked all the ammo, so that I don't know what I can legitimately use. If I don't have the schematic, I shouldn't get the ammo. This ruins the ammo/resource management part of the game.

I suppose I could carefully keep track of what I got and what I didn't, but aren't you missing the point? Why do I need to do some funky workaround?

I never asked for this, and I don't want my $60 game busted because of this lame patch. Now granted, it's not the end of the world, the game is still playable, just with less enjoyment.

I'm playing for maximum immersion. I have it running in stereoscopic with maximum graphic settings (gtx580), projected on a 12' screen so that the necro-morphs are life size. With 5.1 sound, and full size stereo critters, it is freakin' scary.

The patch breaks the immersion in several ways and is hugely annoying. After being treated like this, I for damn sure will never buy a full price game again. So much disrespect for the PC gamer.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:45 AM   #14
Pyoko

I totally agree with this, it was pretty dumb to just dump all the stuff in the store for free with no way of choosing which DLCs to have activated like you can in many other games.

This was precisely the reason I didn't install the patch until I had completed the game once normally. Of course I bought the retail version so I had a choice, it must suck for Steam users.
Pyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #15
Neguron

Hi.

Got the same problem here. My Steam has updated Dead Space 2 and i can´t undo

As i got notice of this update, i deactivated automatic updates for this game (and it updates though).

I wish they would do a second patch or anything else.

I don´t like this "free dlc stuff "

Someone could send me the original exe ? Would be great !

Greetings

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Space series