Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam

Old 03-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
Peter_J_Georg

Steam fails to update/install

Steam started to update yesterday. So I thought that's no problem, clicked on "Check for client updates" to see process.
Update was about 35MB big (as big as a complete Steam installation, why do you need to download everything again for a small update?).
Sound like no problem? Thought so too, but Steam completely failed, it always restarted the download after some time (there are no problems with my connection). 3 hours later I quit Steam, the update was still not downloaded.

Next try: Reinstall Steam.
But exactly the same, Steam starts downloading, but restarts the download after some time (in most cases about 1-2 MB before it finished). But this time it doesn't only restart, it tells me there is no internet connection available and I should check my connection ("Steam need to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again.").
But this his total crap, to verify this I was pining the server Steam was downloading the files from all the time.
And as expected there was not even one timeout, but still Steam tells me there is no internet connection available. Steam lying to me?

So after one (!) day I was still not able to update/reinstall Steam in OS X.
Nice fact: Reinstalled Steam in Windows 7 (same MacBook, same connection) several times to verify it is really not related to the internet connection.

So anybody got any idea how I am able to install Steam in OS X?
Old 03-06-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
dest747

I've been having this problem too, and I would definitely like to know how to fix it.
dest747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
SyntaxError

The easiest way to solve this by manually uninstalling steam. Permissions on steam and its files get screwed up frequently and it causes crashes and all sorts of other crap.

The permission issues often cause problem files to get left behind from steam uninstalling.
SyntaxError is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
dacresni

Permissions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntaxError View Post
The permission issues often cause problem files to get left behind from steam uninstalling.
Doesn't that mean that a permissions repair will fix it?
dacresni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
Symmetric

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacresni View Post
Doesn't that mean that a permissions repair will fix it?
Disk Utility's repair permissions feature only repairs permissions on Apple-installed files and folders. It will not fix permissions problems with user data.

If you want to completely obliterate Steam from your system and start over with a fresh install, try AppZapper.
Symmetric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
ATLbandit

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmetric View Post
Disk Utility's repair permissions feature only repairs permissions on Apple-installed files and folders. It will not fix permissions problems with user data.

If you want to completely obliterate Steam from your system and start over with a fresh install, try AppZapper.
Not completely correct, it checks package receipts to repair permissions as well with other items.

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1452?viewlocale=en_US
ATLbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
Peter_J_Georg

Quote:
The easiest way to solve this by manually uninstalling steam. [...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_J_Georg View Post
[...] Next try: Reinstall Steam. [...]
Reinstall = Uninstall Steam, kill everything Steam related on your system, install it again.

Today Steam finally was able to download all needed files.

But is waiting 3 days for Steam to finally be able to download all files a solution?
Peter_J_Georg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
SyntaxError

Quote:
But is waiting 3 days for Steam to finally be able to download all files a solution?
I dont know what exactly you mean by this. your games?

Technically you probably didnt have to delete your games to fix this, but steam and its issues are really complicated that I no longer feel like giving people the complex solution to their problems as it seems to confuse most users and they end up deleting all their games anyway.

if this happens again delete everything from your steam app support except the steamapps folder. If you still have problems after that then it is most likely caused by a game file and not a steam one.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Peter_J_Georg

Of course I didn't delete my game files. There is nothing "complex" with Steam, you should just read what I posted.
Suggestions to exactly do what I just did (and didn't help), and posted about here, aren't useful.

I wasn't able to install Steam (that's the client, no game), because Steam failed to download the necessary files for the Steam client from Valve's servers.
I am talking about these 35MB you'll see Steam downloading when you start the Steam client for the first time.
Steam failed to download these ing 35MBs for 3 days.

This is not the first time this happened to me. Now I wanted an answer why this happens sometimes if you update or install Steam OSX (Windows Steam client is not affected).
Old 03-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
SyntaxError

I did read what you posted. if you dont think the steam installation is complex then why not figure it out yourself? I assure you the reason and resulting solution does confuse people; you aren't the first to go down this road. dont use the steam uninsall process delete everything from your ~/library/application support/steam except your steamapps folder then relaunch steam. you might also have to delete steam.app and install a fresh copy.

if you would read you would see that steam has various file permission issues on os x that cause erronious behavor varying from crashes to failure to launch to failure to update to failure to launch a game.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
SyntaxError

Quote:

Quote:
Not completely correct, it checks package receipts to repair permissions as well with other items.

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1452?viewlocale=en_US
be aware that even if steam is installed with a package and leaves receipts to help fix permission problems that would only apply to files that it installs from the package and not the file that steam downloads/creates on first launch nor any game files. Appzapper is still your best bet if the solution you opt for is uninstall/reinstall.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
Peter_J_Georg

Quote:
I did read what you posted.
Really? So what's the difference between these two:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_J_Georg View Post
Reinstall = Uninstall Steam, kill everything Steam related on your system, install it again.
Quote:
[...]dont use the steam uninsall process delete everything from your ~/library/application support/steam except your steamapps folder then relaunch steam. you might also have to delete steam.app and install a fresh copy.[...]
Steam has an uninstall process? You mean moving the Steam.app to Trash?

Quote:
if you dont think the steam installation is complex then why not figure it out yourself?
The actual Steam installation is not complex, there are only two directories Steam saves files to. The application itself might be complex, and that's were the problem is. The installation can be as complex/simple as it wants if the application fails to even install.

And I didn't know that I have access to Steam's code.

But that all is off-topic, this topic is about a Steam problem/bug that even exists on completely "Steam clean" systems (newly installed Snow Leopard installation with no other applications or what ever installed).
Old 03-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #13
Toobs

Hi guys, I have bought a Macbook last saturday and I wanted to install the Steam to play my paid games.
I just downloaded the steam.app from Steam page, Dragged and dropped the "Steam" icon into "App folder" and then I got a "Updating Steam" popup.
Like Peter says in this topic, an error message saying "Steam need to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again." appears.

I read every thread in Steam forums and I tried to fibut I couldn´t fix the problem (and I really want to play L4D2 :P )

Please if anyone has a solution, let me know.

Im from Argentina, so sorry for my bad english.

EDIT: OOHh I remember something I read about opening ports, but I have no idea how to do it.

Last edited by Toobs: 03-07-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #14
Peter_J_Georg

Seems like there currently is no known solutions for this problem.

So al you can do is try again and again and hope it finally works.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:47 AM   #15
Toobs

I don't really like this solution, but is all we have I think.
Thanks for your answer Peter. If you have any news, please let me know!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam