Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Space series

Old 03-06-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
Ende

Red face [SOLVED] DS2 - Problem with train car/jet pack flight quicktime scene

Early in the game, there's a scene where Isaac is supposed to fly from one end of a moving train into a disconnected trailing train car.

As far as gameplay is concerned, this is a simple quicktime event. The player can control Isaac's position to dodge some flying debris from the train car ahead, and when Isaac grabs hold of the train car, the player is supposed to do something with the action button E.

Now, this is where I fail spectacularly. I've tried rapidly mashing E, I've tried matching the pulsing rhythm of the E shown by the game as a hint, I've tried holding E down for exactly as long as it is shown on-screen.

I've googled (even binged in my despair, though apparently that just returns the same results, anyway ), and even though I've found mentions of my exact problem, solutions or even an official acknowledgment remain elusive.

I've seen videos of people managing the feat on the console, and I've read accounts of people doing it on the PC version, yet no definitive clear description of what to do exactly. My money is on the rapid bashing, but since I've had no luck in more than a dozen tries with that, I reserve room for error on my part there.

Of course, there's also the possibility of it being a bug. In that case, it would be swell to get any kind of official statement saying something like "We're on it, dearest paying customer!".

Anyway, does anyone have any other suggestions I could try to get past that scene?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ende View Post
[SOLVED]

Ok, update for anyone who might run into the same problem.

After many tries, it worked now. On the successful attempt, I have deliberately paced myself to press the E key slightly slower than I normally would have. (Thanks Zombie Hugger!)

Trying F or E+F both has not worked in previous attempts.

I also didn't need to play with resolution/vsync settings.

Those suggestions might still work for you, if you run into the same problem, so you should try them out.

The least helpful way to go about the problem was to contact EA support.

Last edited by Ende: 03-10-2011 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Pulled up solution into first post so it's immediately visible
Old 03-06-2011, 03:17 AM   #2
Zombie Hugger

All I do for any scene/attack that makes you press e is press it at a decent pace. Not mash it, nor tap it. Just press it several times at a decent pace until it's over. If you've been hitting the right button (I hope) then it's just a bug for you it seems.
Zombie Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Fandango

I've heard that for some people mashing the E key doesn't work, but mashing the F key (or E and F together) does. No idea why this is since it was never a problem for me, but you might want to try that.
Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Procurator

I had this problem as well. My solution to it was to lower the resolution to around 800x600 and turn off V-sync. After that, I managed to get by every quick time event without a problem.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:46 AM   #5
Ende

Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try all of those. I've given it a second try last night to check if maybe the game state was just corrupted and a fresh checkpoint reload would solve it. But to no avail.

I'll report back when one of your methods worked.

Last edited by Ende: 03-07-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Ende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #6
Ende

[SOLVED]

Ok, update for anyone who might run into the same problem.

After many tries, it worked now. On the successful attempt, I have deliberately paced myself to press the E key slightly slower than I normally would have. (Thanks Zombie Hugger!)

Trying F or E+F both has not worked in previous attempts.

I also didn't need to play with resolution/vsync settings.

Those suggestions might still work for you, if you run into the same problem, so you should try them out.

The least helpful way to go about the problem was to contact EA support.
Ende is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Space series