Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Test Drive Unlimited 2

Old 03-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
MYU

Angry PC Shut Down after playing 5 to 10 minutes

The game has been working fine and had been playing for hours each day no problems.

There was a steam update and it might not be that but my computer now shuts down after playing TDU2 for only 5 to 10 minutes, no warning, system just shuts down in the middle of the game!

Does anyone else have any idea's to what this could be?

I have a brand new PSU so it's not that.

Will try to play F1 2010 and see if the same happens.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
MYU

Update - F1 2010 also did the same thing after 10 minutes playing on steam.

I have now opened up the computer and cleaned dust from the CPU/Video card fans, will let you know if that works.

Just don't understand how it can be fine one moment and not the next when nothing has been touched.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
abk.420

do you smoke around your computer? i did till i had to change my power supply 3 times in a year. Spend 10-20 bucks and buy a power supply tester, instant power offs, with no blue screen or a minidump usually means power supply is dying
abk.420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
Wirapuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYU View Post
Maybe it's exactly that. The most expensive PSU I bought was the one that least lived, a Corsair. 2 months ok, then bam, gone. Of course I got my warranty but the point here is: never trust PSUs.. its levels on BIOS/Setup are ok? Tried some burn tests like Prime95?
Wirapuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
hayali_icraat

Another reason would be your graphics card overheating. I had the same problem, bought a bigger fan and installed it and voila! Now I'm shut-down free. I don't know how it's done in nVidia, it's been a while since I bought a nVidia card but if you have an AMD (or ATI) card, open Catalyst Control Center and go to Overdrive tab. Start the game, play for 6-7 minutes then exit or alt+tab to desktop. If it's heated to 100 degrees celcius or so, then it's your GFX card (my 4850 would cause immediate shut down at 110 degrees and in some games, it didn't even take 10 minutes).

Last edited by hayali_icraat: 03-07-2011 at 07:37 AM.
hayali_icraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Wirapuru

If you want to monitor your GPU and/or CPU heating (with log to file options, since you'll want to know the temps exactly when your pc shutdowns) you have two little (freeware) programs:

- MSI Afterburner (for GPU)
- CoreTemp (for CPU)

Then let the 2 running and logging. Make your pc reboots 3-5 times - I mean, try to force the shutdown you mention - and try to see some pattern there.

edit: your card doesn't need to be a MSI. Afterburner is a good overclocking/vga tuner that goes with almost any card, AMD/Nvidia, etc.
Wirapuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
AlHudson1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYU View Post
The game has been working fine and had been playing for hours each day no problems.

There was a steam update and it might not be that but my computer now shuts down after playing TDU2 for only 5 to 10 minutes, no warning, system just shuts down in the middle of the game!

Does anyone else have any idea's to what this could be?

Will try to play F1 2010 and see if the same happens.
Usually sudden power off is overheat could be your CPU or Video Card if is the video before shut down should make lots of noise since fan would be working at top.

Check your Bios to increase/decrease overheat shutting down protection levels.
AlHudson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
MYU

Thank you to all who replied and I did solve the problem by cleaning both CPU/Video fans, all system working fine now.

Thanks again all.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Test Drive Unlimited 2