Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Old 03-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
Relto

Unhappy I Feel Like the World is Slowly Collapsing in on Itself

I found an article that really made me think about what's actually happening to the planet.

To be honest, I'm actually pretty worried about all the recent developments. Oil is getting scarce, everything is becoming too expensive because of this economic crash, and the ever growing population is going to cause food and water to become more expensive in the next few years. When the economy implodes, and basic supplies start either going up in price or become completely unavailable, what will happen?

With more rainforest getting cut down for cheap burgers, palm oil(Nestle is a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ for this) and staple crops to feed the insatiable appetite that is humanity, and more plastics being dumped into the ocean, we're gradually ♥♥♥♥♥♥ and poisioning the Earth. Fish stocks are depleting because of the "WE MUST HAVE IT NOW" attitude of major corporations.

You might argue that cloning meat is perhaps the way forward.
Yes, people will complain that it's grown in a lab, and that you shouldn't play God, or something ridiculous like "It will cause you and your family to mutate horribly", but the sad truth is that at the current rate of expansion, there's not going to be enough of anything left to produce basic crops, let alone meat.

Unfortunately, I know for a fact most people simply don't care. Out of sight, out of mind, right? As long you have your coffee and your smartphone, you can just hop into one of your Humvees for a cheeseburger.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
stillmatic07

Hey, unless we involve into overly moral and extremely intelligent beings in the next decade we're screwed. We're animals, and this is usually how things turn out.
stillmatic07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
MADDOGGE

Well maybe you need to stop listening to people that use scare tactic to advance there own agenda. Most everything you hear in the media is put out to keep you worried so you don't pay attention to what is really going on with the government and special interest groups. None of these people can prove what they are saying in any meaningful way to you why believe them. I still remember all the BS about the polar bears by by manmade global warming freaks that knew nothing about polar bears and their habits. sounded plausible until the facts about the swimming habits of polar bear beat it's way through the major BS and came out.

Last edited by MADDOGGE: 03-09-2011 at 04:33 PM.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
Finalwish

Banned
This world is ing itself over, but most of us should be long dead by the time it hits its worst. Let our kids deal with it
Finalwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
bluz74

I wouldn't worry about it to much. The same type of articles were written in 1960, 70, 80, 90, ect....

Portal 2 will be out soon and all your troubles shall melt away....like a polar ice cap.
bluz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
Modiga-Disabled

Volunteer Moderator
Even if we brought on the next global extinction, it wouldn't really be all that different from what happens every few hundred million years, anyway.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
truckspond

Banned
Something tells me that a The Day after Tomorrow style event will come within the next millennium. But I'll probably be too busy suffering from a serious case of dead to give a when it does happen
truckspond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
PinkPonies93

Banned
Energy is probably the biggest concern imo, in 50 years supply/demand will make it quite pricy. Then again I will be rich.

Food, I think we will figure something out

Global warming/sustainability: Couldn't give a flying duck
PinkPonies93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
Crab

I kinda dislike people who oppose all these warnings. I mean, sure, most of the time they're scare tactics, but they do have a point. We're overpopulated and really taxing on the planet. How do you deny that?

I'm talking about people like global warming deniers that ignore even science's mere suggestions so they can continue their blissfully ignorant lives though. At least learn a little before you deny everything.
Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
ThePerson5

It really irritates me when people go:
"We have to change our ways drastically blah blah blah or else we will die soon."
Honestly, a change will be needed in the future, hopefully soon, but we aren't QUITE at armageddon yet.
ThePerson5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
Matthew94

Banned
Oil sands in Canada, enough for everyone.
Food, tons of unused land in Russia that people are only now moving back into.
Matthew94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
Modiga-Disabled

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew94 View Post
Oil extraction from the oil sands is costly and prices would inevitably have to rise to offset this.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #13
PinkPonies93

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab View Post
I kinda dislike people who oppose all these warnings. I mean, sure, most of the time they're scare tactics, but they do have a point. We're overpopulated and really taxing on the planet. How do you deny that?

I'm talking about people like global warming deniers that ignore even science's mere suggestions so they can continue their blissfully ignorant lives though. At least learn a little before you deny everything.
Someone isn't a denier if they believe in the facts. I don't believe in religion because it is not based on facts - am i denier?

What really jaratees me off is when uneducated high school graduates or 16y/o's who had a debate in some artsy bull class then think they are informed just by what they hear from the media .
PinkPonies93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
Plank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew94 View Post
Oils sands in Canada requires more energy to extract which makes it kind of useless currently.

Almost every problem can be dealt with by locating its premise. The premise of our current situation is our social model. Everybody is living under the impression that we live on an infinite planet, and we have created political and economic systems around that idea. Guess what? Our resources are finite! SUPPLIES!
Plank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #15
IcarusNine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modiga-Disabled View Post
Even if we brought on the next global extinction, it wouldn't really be all that different from what happens every few hundred million years, anyway.
Considering the effort (or at least the dreaminess) some people put into resurrecting dinosaurs, mammoths, and other notably less interesting extinct animals (aurock, anyone?), I think it'd save us some trouble to keep a decent reserve of live specimens on hand.

On the other hand, no children of anyone on this forum will be much interested if it isn't being rendered on a computer screen... So maybe we'll just have to settle for gun-toting zombie pandas as the biodiversity of the future.
IcarusNine is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic