Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 03-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
RodgerM

Angry add transfer of license or trade in general

Why isn't there already an option to do this? Such as you are tired of a game, why can't you give it to your buddy as you would a piece of hardware and it's license ? IE: Giving up your Disk and Key.

Why couldn't it also go as far as offer "trade in" prices like some stores as well? Such as: Trade in 2 games, get 10 more % off.. so on. Or more simply just offer a "trade" feature which your buddy wouldn't get the game he wanted (and you wouldn't either till it was done) to trade without putting up the game he wanted you to have as well (traded to you) ? Then have something like a "each users accepts this trade? y/n?"
Old 03-14-2011, 03:41 AM   #2
Amander

Be warned to be flamed by "Valve won't make any money"-trolls. I'd like to have some sort of trading. It has been there decades before Steam and all the companies still got loads of money.
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:03 AM   #3
RodgerM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amander View Post
Be warned to be flamed by "Valve won't make any money"-trolls. I'd like to have some sort of trading. It has been there decades before Steam and all the companies still got loads of money.
Wont make money? They made money on the first purchases.
RodgerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:08 AM   #4
Amander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerM View Post
I said "Be warned to be flamed by trolls". I never said that I share this opinion and the rest of my post should show you that I actually agree with you.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:09 AM   #5
RodgerM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amander View Post
I said "Be warned to be flamed by trolls". I never said that I share this opinion and the rest of my post should show you that I actually agree with you.
I see. They could always do something like a cheap $1 transfer fee then.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:10 AM   #6
Amander

Quote:
I see. They could always do something like a cheap $1 transfer fee then.
Yes, that would be a good example.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:26 AM   #7
ninjafoodstuff

I would also like this feature. I've got a friend who is new to steam and would like to transfer across some games that I don't play any more. I can do this on a console, but not on a PC, which seems kind of ludicrous, especially when you consider all the naysayers going on about how the console market is killing PC gaming.
ninjafoodstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:18 AM   #8
L.o.D.

Quote:
Sure they did. But won't on the first transfer or the 3rd, 4th etc etc.
See the problem? That's 3 or 4 sales they just lost.

Also keep in mind that once a key is registered to steam, it is invalidated & no longer a working key.
L.o.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:24 AM   #9
ninjafoodstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.o.D. View Post
Unfortunately that's flawed logic. Those 3 or 4 sales they wouldn't have anyway. Also people who buy new are more inclined to part with their money if they know they get more longevity out of their purchases.

Some people love to buy new furniture. They sell it as soon as it gets slightly old. This makes the furniture manufacturers happy. Some people only ever buy furniture second-hand. This encourages others to replace their new furniture sooner. If that analogy's too abstract, then you can equate the same situation with used and new console games (and take note that EA's tactics of having unlockable portions of the game only included with new purchases is already at ease with people who like to sell or trade games when they're done).

The only reason Steam get away with the no-transfer policy is because they often have such great blow-out sales.
ninjafoodstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:54 AM   #10
L.o.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjafoodstuff View Post
Unfortunately that's flawed logic. Those 3 or 4 sales they wouldn't have anyway.
Didn't know you were capable of knowing what the entire world population will or will not do.

Seriously though, you have no clue if they would or not since you cannot speak for anyone but yourself.
L.o.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:05 AM   #11
Zefar

Volunteer Moderator
There is this thing where if keys run out, Valve need to buy more from that company. Re selling the same key over and over screws the other company.

So I doubt this will ever happen. Not to mention the hijackers might do this as well on peoples account.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
RodgerM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.o.D. View Post

Also keep in mind that once a key is registered to steam, it is invalidated & no longer a working key.
They would lose it to somewhere else also if someone is selling it for a cheap price and didn't need the online distribution of steam on a piece of hardware (DVD/CD).

I also said to put in a small transfer fee. When you give up a game in the real world, or OS even for that matter, you are supposed to give up the CD-KEY to go with it.. so.. where is the problem ? The new user gets the rights to the CD-KEY and game , steam charges as small transfer fee.. and the world is good again.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas