Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dragon Age series > Dragon Age Origins

Old 03-16-2011, 02:32 AM   #1
railforge

Error Code 51 - Trouble setting the Large Address Aware flag

Has anyone successfully enabled the Large Address Aware flag on the Steam version of Dragon Age:Origins - Ultimate Edition? I'd like to use the extra GBs of RAM that my machine has, rather than be limited to just 2GB. Non-Steam users seem to be able to do this, but I cannot. The few other people I've come across who get an error after setting the LAA flag are all playing DA:O - UE on Steam.

What's the big deal about setting the LAA flag and getting access to extra virtual memory? It's reportedly increasing performance, and dramatically decreasing the frequency of crashes. It does this by stopping Dragon Age from running out of memory.

After setting the LargeAddressAware flag on the DAOrigins.exe file, the game won't load. I'm running Win7 64bit.

Every time I try to start the game, the Dragon Age launcher appears. I then click Play, and within a few seconds get an error message from Steam which reads: "Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition failed to start (error code 51)."

I should add that this is a brand new install of DA:O - UE. I haven't added any mods, etc. All I've done is fire up the game for 20 minutes, save, quit, and used the 4gb Patch.

I set the LAA flag using two different methods, but the resulting DAOrigins.exe files fail in identical manners.

1. Use NTCore's 4GB Patch
2. Use Fallout 3 3GB Enabler, modified for DAOrigins.exe

Error code 51 is a Steam specific error. It can usually be solved in other games by either re-verifying the game cache, or disabling a certain piece of interfering software [esp. F-Secure]. That doesn't seem to be the case for us with DA:O - UE. The game cache isn't corrupt, and I've already disabled every piece of software which Steam lists as a potential interference.

Placing the original non-modified DAOrigins.exe back in place will allow the game to run. Obviously, that's not an optimal solution. I want the LAA flag.

Running DAOrigins.exe [whether via DAOriginsLauncher.exe or directly], with or without Run as Admin privileges, causes an immediate error and crash. The error message is:

Application load error 3:0000065432

Ideas?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:34 AM   #2
schnitzeljaeger

I tested it just now and it won't work for me too. After a bit a googling I found out that the exe is encrypted for the use with steam (it contains the steam loader). So, if you apply those patches it simply patched the wrong address or steam checked the hash of the exe and found it wrong.
You could try to get your hands on the non-steam exe and replace the original.
schnitzeljaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
railforge

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzeljaeger View Post
I tested it just now and it won't work for me too. After a bit a googling I found out that the exe is encrypted for the use with steam (it contains the steam loader). So, if you apply those patches it simply patched the wrong address
I don't think that's the case. It shouldn't matter whether or not the exe is encrypted. The LAA flag is in the file header. The methods to turn it on should work on any exe file, no matter what is inside it.

Quote:
or steam checked the hash of the exe and found it wrong.
That's possible. I'll point out that Steam normally doesn't notice. The LAA flag has been successfully set in Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Risen, and probably many other games - all in Steam.

Quote:
You could try to get your hands on the non-steam exe and replace the original.
I don't want to do anything that might endanger my EA Master ID account. Don't I have to be online to keep my DLC authorised?
railforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
schnitzeljaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by railforge View Post
I don't want to do anything that might endanger my EA Master ID account.
I'm talking about the "normal" exe, the one for the disc based game. There shouldn't be any problem if you try to replace the one from steam. The only problem that could arise is, that steam won't recognize the game.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
railforge

That's good advice. I'll look into it.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
seamusmc

That flag is useless on a 64 bit OS. If you have 4GB of ram you want to run Win64 anyway in order to access the full 4GB, Win32 only has access to something like 3.25 GB.

And yes Win7 32 bit does report 4GB but that is because MS got so many complaints that the OS wasn't reporting the amount of ram installed. Win32 can only physically access 3.25 GB. It sounds like you are aware of Win32's limitation with virtual addressing, 2GB per process is reserved by the OS.

Again, on Win64 this is not an issue as all Win32 processes run in a WOW and have access to the full 4GB of virtual address space.

BTW there is no way to provide 4GB to a Win32 process on Win32. Win32 always reserves some space for the OS per process so LAA only makes a bit over 3GB available to the process. This is not the case for Win64.

Last edited by seamusmc: 03-18-2011 at 02:08 PM.
seamusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #7
railforge

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusmc View Post
That flag is useless on a 64 bit OS.
No, it isn't. That's a curious piece of misinformation that you're trying to spread. The LAA flag is useless on a 64-bit app on a 64-bit OS. It's very useful on a 32-bit app on a 64-bit OS.

Quote:
If you have 4GB of ram you want to run Win64 anyway in order to access the full 4GB, Win32 only has access to something like 3.25 GB.
I am running a 64-bit OS. Windows 7 Pro 64-bit w/ 4GB RAM. I'm well aware of the memory addressing problems between 16, 32 and 64-bit.

In part, this is what makes your post so insidious. You're mixing lies/errors with the truth, and because many people know that you're telling the truth about 4GB of RAM being best with 64-bit Windows and the limitations of 32-bit memory, they naturally believe that your other [false] statements must be true also.

Quote:
Again, on Win64 this is not an issue as all Win32 processes run in a WOW and have access to the full 4GB of virtual address space.
No, they don't. Not unless the LAA [Large Address Aware] flag is set, which is what I'm attempting to do. To any readers who're wondering what Seamusmc meant when he said "WOW", he was referring to Windows on Windows 64, aka WOW64, which allows 64-bit Windows to run 32-bit applications. Seamusmc appears to be laboring under misconceptions about how WOW64 works.

WOW64 is designed to provide a 32-bit environment for 32-bit apps for maximum legacy compatibility. A significant proportion of 32-bit apps are hard coded for 2GB addressable memory and will fail in sometimes interesting and unusual ways when exposed to more memory than their programmers intended. It would be idiotic for WOW64 to automatically allow every 32-bit app to address 4GB of virtual memory. Microsoft are trying to improve backwards compatibility and stability with WOW64, not the reverse.

Rather than argue with you further, Seamusmc, I'll let the HP 64-bit OS FAQ do it for me:

Quote:
Can a 32-bit application access more memory when running on XP x64?

In general no, most standard Windows 32-bit applications or processes are limited to 2GB of virtual address space, the same as in 32-bit XP. Windows 32-bit applications that have been built with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE switch can access 4GB of RAM. The same application running on Windows XP 32-bit with Service Pack 2 is limited to 3GB of RAM so you gain 1GB of address space on XP x64.

Note that a 64-bit application running on XP x64 has 8TB of virtual address space for applications and 8TB of virtual address space for the operating system.
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/Hpsub/cach...0-225-121.html
So, there you have it folks. The numerous gamers who're setting the LAA flag while playing on 64-bit OSes aren't crazy after all.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:08 AM   #8
schnitzeljaeger

How about your problem getting Steam's DAO to run? Did you find a suitable exe?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
railforge

No, not yet, but I do have a possible avenue for finding one. I'll post here when I find out more.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:44 AM   #10
railforge

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzeljaeger View Post
How about your problem getting Steam's DAO to run? Did you find a suitable exe?
I have found the exe, but I haven't managed to get it to run.

To get the 1.04 retail exe, all you need to do is download the official 1.04 patch. DON'T run the patch. Instead, extract it manually as though it were an archive... because that is what it is: an executable archive. You can use 7zip to do this. Apparently UniExtract can do this too, but I haven't tried it myself.

There are two copies of DAOrigins.exe inside the patch. They even have the same version number. One of them is 4 seconds newer than the other.

The newest version is date stamped Saturday, June 05, 2010 3:41:16 AM.

Using the newest version gets me the error: awc.dll load failed. I don't have an awc.dll file in my system. awc.dll is an "EA DRM Helper", according to registrygenius.com's google cache. Gamers who bought Dragon Age: Origins and/or Mass Effect 2 on other digital distro networks [esp. Impulse] have suffered the same error. There are numerous forum threads detailing their woes and methods for getting the game working if you do a google search for awc.dll.

Using the older version of DAOrigins.exe gets me the error: "Could not find the Dragon Age disk. Please insert the disk and try again." A Protection ID report shows that this exe contains EA Custom Protection. The newer version of DAOrigins.exe does not contain any DRM which PID can detect.

I'd guess that the 1.04 patch contains two different versions of DAOrigins.exe for two different versions of the game. The retail version get the "disk check" exe, and the "EA digital store" version gets the "awc.dll" exe.

I don't intend to carry this research any further. I'm giving up. If someone else wants to come forward and get this working, please do. I'd probably try and use the "digital store" version of DAOrigins.exe and then follow some of the methods that Impulse buyers tried.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:00 AM   #11
eydeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by railforge View Post
If someone else wants to come forward and get this working, please do.
1. You get the exe for the disc version from the patch.
2. You download a mini image for the game.
3. Load the mini image into Daemon-Tools.
4. Profit.

As you're using an image, you're not risking your account or getting a virus. I did try this and the game does launch fine. I havent tried any further, trying the large address aware flag awaits for someone else. According to you, it should work as this is a retail exe. Now I'm going back to the original steam file, as I don't feel the need of using more than 2GB of memory.
eydeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #12
Nimbulan

I would love to see a solution for this as well. I get the same error 51 trying to do this. It is quite strange that other Steam games like Fallout New Vegas can use large address aware with no problems while this one can't.
Nimbulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #13
WisdomPanda

If the error is in the DRM, then try hitting up one of the many sites and getting your self a fixed exe, then patching it to have the LAA flag using the Fallout 3 tool on that fixed exe.

You'd need to change your link from a steam link to a DALauncher link though, and you'll lose the Steam overlay. But hey, this is to fix a CTD issue, so totally worth it.
WisdomPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
DreamCleaver

I managed to fix Large Address Aware issue by doing what both railforge and eydeeb suggested:

1. Download the latest patch (1.05 at the time of writing)
2. Open and extract the DAOrigins.exe file from it
(Note: There are three (3) DAOrigins.exe files. Extract one at a time, overwrite the original file and then execute it. If one says it can't find the DVD, that's the one you want!)
3. Download the 4GB patcher from http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php
4. Choose the DAOrigins.exe
5. Download a fixed image from one of the crack sites. They're usually only a few kB in size.
6. Mount the fixed image with Daemon Tools Lite
7. PLAY!

This worked like a charm for me. And there are no problems logging in, either.
DreamCleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #15
Grandmaster Sen

A Proper Fix

I realize that this thread is old, but there has not been a legitimate answer to this problem yet, and this is the first item to appear when you Google this error. So this seems appropriate to append here.

This method will let you fix the game so that both Origin and Steam recognize and will launch Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition WITHOUT DOWNLOADING, USING, OR APPLYING ANY CRACKED FILES, STOLEN IMAGES, OR OTHER COPYRIGHT MATERIAL.

First, purchase, download and install Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition from Steam if you have not already done so.

Second, open your steam library. Right click Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition and choose "View CD Key". Select Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition and click "Copy to Clipboard".

Open Origin (you will need to download and install this if you have not already). On the title bar, click Origin > Redeem Product Key...

Paste the CD key you got from steam and confirm. This should add Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition to your Origin library. Origin should immediately recognize that you have downloaded and installed Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition already.

Navigate to your Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition install location, i.e. "...\Steam\SteamApps\common\Dragon Age Ultimate Edition"

Copy the files "DAOriginsLauncher.exe" and "Data\DAOriginsLauncher.xml" outside of the Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition install directory, i.e. "...\Steam\SteamApps\common"

Open Origin and right click Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition in your Origin game library. Click "Repair Game".

Let Origin download and install it's updates and changes to Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition. When it is done, move "DAOriginsLauncher.exe" back into the root install directory of Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition and add "DAOriginsLauncher.xml" back into the Data folder.

You may now apply the Large Address Aware fix to the new daorigins.exe. Both Steam and Origin should recognize the game, and Steam Overlay should work as well. Your mods should be unaffected, but mods that do not target your Override folder may need to be reinstalled.
Grandmaster Sen is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dragon Age series > Dragon Age Origins