Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Assassin's Creed series

Old 03-16-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
shazzz

Post Petition to remove Mouse Acceleration

It's not acceptable for any modern game to have forced mouse acceleration that can't be turned off at all. Even 10 years ago, when games came with mouse accel turned on by default there was still a way to disable it. Unfortunately, it's not possible to turn it off on Assassin's Creed 2, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, and Assassin's Creed III. Because of this, the faster you move your mouse the slower the camera movement will be, and the opposite is true too (negative mouse acceleration).

If you can't stand mouse acceleration, or even if it doesn't affect you so much as some people, please post in this thread. Maybe if we get enough people together we can convince Ubisoft to patch this in an update.

Also, please refrain from posting that mouse acceleration isn't a problem, or that people should buy a xbox gamepad. The default PC controls are keyboard + mouse, so that's what should be supported correctly.

Thanks

Last edited by shazzz: 11-23-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
kdfang

hmm... some angry peeps wiff twitchy mice hey.. imma wif this thread.. accel is not even for noobz

but it appears that ubi cant port consol controls to pc well at all.. (CONSOLITIZ MAYBE)

even there xbox for pc controls suck... you cant remap them..

Last edited by kdfang: 03-16-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
PhillB

You're confused by the issue here. The problem isn't mouse acceleration but a lack of it. The way AC2 seems to work is that it treats the mouse like an anolog stick on a controller. Move the anolog stick only slightly and you'll get very slow camera movement, push it down all the way and the camera will fly around full speed.

With the mouse pushing it down slowly equals moving the mouse slowly. If you want to move the camera fast you have to make big jerky/fast movements with the mouse.

AC1 had proper acceleration where moving the mouse rotated the camera at the correct pace without needed to do a sweeping mouse turn.
PhillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
shazzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillB View Post
You're confused by the issue here. The problem isn't mouse acceleration but a lack of it. The way AC2 seems to work is that it treats the mouse like an anolog stick on a controller. Move the anolog stick only slightly and you'll get very slow camera movement, push it down all the way and the camera will fly around full speed.

With the mouse pushing it down slowly equals moving the mouse slowly. If you want to move the camera fast you have to make big jerky/fast movements with the mouse.

AC1 had proper acceleration where moving the mouse rotated the camera at the correct pace without needed to do a sweeping mouse turn.
That's called negative acceleration, and AC1 didn't have any kind of acceleration at all.
shazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
corx

Agree.

I'm actually surprised they didn't fix it, they sounded so promising with this statement: We aren't releasing Brotherhood on PC now because we want to polish the product so that PC gamers may enjoy the best out of it.

At first, when I tried AC2.. I couldn't play it, it was so annoying and wrong. Yet I wanted to play the game so I kinda played it and after a few hours I got used it. But still, this should be fixed.
corx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
PhillB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzz View Post
That's called negative acceleration, and AC1 didn't have any kind of acceleration at all.
Actually, negative acceleration is the exact opposite of what I said (i.e. move the mouse fast and your on screen movements won't go as far as if you moved it slow). AC1 didn't have any settings for mouse acceleration but used the value windows has it set at (turn it off and you should see a big difference).Then again it all depends on what kind of mouse you're using as well.
PhillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
ImBack87

Lots of games that don't have in game acceleration controls allow you to turn it off by editing an ini file. Why AC games have neither is beyond me.
ImBack87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
zeep

Agreed. It's horrible. I love the game, i play the game, but it's so awckward that they can't add an option to turn it off. My God.
zeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
shazzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillB View Post
Actually, negative acceleration is the exact opposite of what I said (i.e. move the mouse fast and your on screen movements won't go as far as if you moved it slow). AC1 didn't have any settings for mouse acceleration but used the value windows has it set at (turn it off and you should see a big difference).Then again it all depends on what kind of mouse you're using as well.
I see. Well, in my windows settings I always have pointer precision off so that's probably why I didn't get any acceleration in AC1.
shazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
DustArma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBack87 View Post
Lots of games that don't have in game acceleration controls allow you to turn it off by editing an ini file. Why AC games have neither is beyond me.
It's actually rare for console ports with mouse acceleration to give you a choice in the matter, be it ingame or in an ini file, and if they do it's a pain in the to set right.

AC is your standard console to PC port, not even a bad one, just the average.
DustArma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #11
undeadsee

Fail mouse acceleration

I was looking forward to playing this on PC with mouse & keyboard. I knew AC2 had the horrid mouse acceleration. Installed the game, started it up - hoping the mouse will move correctly. I turn to the left, seems ok. I turn to the left again, slower, ... *loud audible sigh here* *Connects xbox controller*

I remember how awesome it was to have proper precision in AC1, I guess I sort of expected a game released in 2011 on PC would at least have usable PC controls -.-

/s-s-s-s-s-sign
undeadsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
woodbyte

Played a bit of Brotherhood just now and the mouse acceleration is just awful. I'll get used to it in a couple of hours but damn...

/signed
woodbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #13
lnFerNo

/signed
Old 03-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #14
RMJ

I will settle for an option to turn it off, that shouldn be asking to much tbh we are in 2011, mouse acc have always sucked why, because the stuff on the green moves according to speed of mouse instead of how much you moved mouse, aka its impossible to be precise
RMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #15
SSWeltenfeind

Ohh, I am not the only one.
SSWeltenfeind is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Assassin's Creed series