Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Episode Two

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #6676
Wheezald Locka

I'm glad to see you like it. ^^
Old 05-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #6677
Vyrnnus

Why would they have said it openly?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #6678
slipperywhenwet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheezald Locka View Post
Indeed I am. With words "they would have said it openly" I mean exactly that. I believe they are still baking the final episode since they said absolutely nothing I know of that would suggest they ceased the whole project.
No longer making episode three would not mean they scrapped the whole project. It could easily mean they just renamed it Half Life 3 and planned to expand on it.

Not that it would matter if they did. AFAIK they didn't announce anything in 1997 when they pretty much scraped all of HL1.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #6679
Dotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperywhenwet View Post
No longer making episode three would not mean they scrapped the whole project. It could easily mean they just renamed it Half Life 3 and planned to expand on it.

Not that it would matter if they did. AFAIK they didn't announce anything in 1997 when they pretty much scraped all of HL1.
Yes, that's what I'm saying ... of course they haven't scrapped whole of it, but sure recycled and reused things from EP3 into HL3.
But it's not going to be EP3 anymore ... the comparison you have made can be quite close to it, EP3 was HL1 beta and now it's about to be a final version HL3
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #6680
chris8bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotard View Post
Yes, that's what I'm saying ... of course they haven't scrapped whole of it, but sure recycled and reused things from EP3 into HL3.
But it's not going to be EP3 anymore ... the comparison you have made can be quite close to it, EP3 was HL1 beta and now it's about to be a final version HL3
but when they scraped hl1 they did not skip to hl2

the problem will come that anyone new to the series will play two games that both reference a 3rd one.
how will a new costumer know where to go

you say the will start a hl3 to make a customer not have to go back to play the first two but seance when dose calling it an episode suddenly make people have to go back to play it
Old 05-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #6681
Wheezald Locka

Quote:
Well, yes, but I said before, I'm an Ep3 believer.
Quote:
But it was still HL that was going to happen, was it not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyrnnus View Post
Why would they have said it openly?
Because the plan was made big and specific: HL2+Eps story arc is going to be closed with Episode 3. I remember reading an interview with some VALVe personnel where they said the above, stating at the same time that "HL series will not be over from that point". That's what originated the HL3 hype, but there was nothing at all indicating that Ep3 specifically was abandoned. SUPPLEMENTAL EDIT: Shutting down this kind of project (where thay also said they were up to something "pretty ambitious") without notifying the community would be a major turndown, and an unnecessary one. Feel the balance, man.

Also, I agree with chris8bit. The same happened with HL2 - from what I gather from recent arguments over the forums, it was scraped in the middle of development and started from scratch 2,5 years before release. And it still was named HL2.

Last edited by Wheezald Locka: 05-11-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #6682
Sleepykins

Quote:
Well, yes, but I said before, I'm an Ep3 believer.

But it was still HL that was going to happen, was it not?

Because the plan was made big and specific: HL2+Eps story arc is going to be closed with Episode 3. I remember reading an interview with some VALVe personnel where they said the above, stating at the same time that "HL series will not be over from that point". That's what originated the HL3 hype, but there was nothing at all indicating that Ep3 specifically was abandoned. SUPPLEMENTAL EDIT: Shutting down this kind of project (where thay also said they were up to something "pretty ambitious") without notifying the community would be a major turndown, and an unnecessary one. Feel the balance, man.

Also, I agree with chris8bit. The same happened with HL2 - from what I gather from recent arguments over the forums, it was scraped in the middle of development and started from scratch 2,5 years before release. And it still was named HL2.
HL2 wasn't a game setup in a sub-par format. Valve releasing an episode after this long makes no sense in terms of time to develop. It would have to remain on the "Episodic" Level of tech and content to make sense and I simply don't see them doing that.

The plans have changed, and unless Valve releases and Episode Three on an older version of Source, with a tiny bit of content to fit the model, and then also releases the giant massive HL3, it isn't happening.

Really don't know why people want it to be episode three so badly.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #6683
Wheezald Locka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepykins View Post
HL2 wasn't a game setup in a sub-par format. Valve releasing an episode after this long makes no sense in terms of time to develop. It would have to remain on the "Episodic" Level of tech and content to make sense and I simply don't see them doing that.
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepykins View Post
The plans have changed, and unless Valve releases and Episode Three on an older version of Source, with a tiny bit of content to fit the model, and then also releases the giant massive HL3, it isn't happening.

Really don't know why people want it to be episode three so badly.
And I really don't know why people still don't get there is no 'older/newer *version*' of Source. There is a capable engine and things they do to make it process things looking better and better.
Aside from that... I think they made personal goals to bring that mysterious "ambitious thing" to life which was intended for Ep3. It could be their plain stubbornness to do so and their history shows they can get pretty stubborn once they set something on their minds. Thus I can easily hope for a final Episode to air before HL3 gets properly announced.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #6684
smash

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Indeed I am. With words "they would have said it openly" I mean exactly that. I believe they are still baking the final episode since they said absolutely nothing I know of that would suggest they ceased the whole project.
Well that's not fair. They've not said anything, period, over the last 5 years.

Except for most recently when Gabe said the next HL had a 'giant story arch'. That's a trait that an episode doesn't usually exhibit. Also, episodes do not generally take 5+ years to develop. These are contradictions of the episodic format.

They have shown, though, that they've moved on. Cases one and two.

Last edited by smash: 05-11-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #6685
MADDOGGE

Maybe Ep3 comes in a bundle with HL3.A 15 hour episode followed by a 60 hour full game.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #6686
Batman5678

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash View Post
Well that's not fair. They've not said anything, period, over the last 5 years.

Except for most recently when Gabe said the next HL had a 'giant story arch'. That's a trait that an episode doesn't usually exhibit. Also, episodes do not generally take 5+ years to develop. These are contradictions of the episodic format.

They have shown, though, that they've moved on. Case one, and two.
when did this happen?
i haven't heard valve talk about hl in years.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #6687
smash

Volunteer Moderator
Right hur:

Quote:
  • April 12, 2012: Gabe Newell said on the 7DCD podcast that 'Ricochet 2' has a "giant story arch" and that it has been in development for a long time. It is inferred that 'Ricochet 2' sarcastically means Half-Life 3.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #6688
Batman5678

Banned
Quote:
Right hur:
so you are saying they haven't mentioned hl?
one moment everyone yells because people are putting words in valve's mouth and the next it is the accurate thing to do.

valve did not say hl it is not hl info.
if they wanted to talk about hl they would say hl.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #6689
smash

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman5678 View Post
so you are saying they haven't mentioned hl?
one moment everyone yells because people are putting words in valve's mouth and the next it is the accurate thing to do.

valve did not say hl it is not hl info.
if they wanted to talk about hl they would say hl.
The podcast host called it 'Ricochet 2' first when he asked Gabe the question about it. Then Gabe Newell played along.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #6690
surfrock22

How is that not a reference to the HL series? How is that not HL info?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Episode Two