Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 03-17-2011, 06:13 AM   #1
1nvisible~

Small Steam Guard bug. And a big one.

I run Steam on my notebook, and it tells me I must authorize new computer, and they sent me a letter to gmail.com. However, my e-mail is hosted on mail.ru service. BTW, I have received the letter on my correct address. Please fix the misleading string.

Last edited by 1nvisible~: 03-17-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
1nvisible~

Add:
After entering my code, it told me it couldn't contact Steam servers. Tried multiple times, but the University network seems to have strict firewall, so there's no chance of correct activation. However, pressing "Next" and "Back" buttons in random order made me access my account games without activation.
This seems to be a major issue, and should be fixed. And please check your authorization servers run on the same ports as master servers, since it may become impossible to perform such an activation in some networks.
1nvisible~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
Nekomancer

The part about that they send the mail to gmail is only a display bug. It says that for all email addresses, even if they are not gmail, but they get send to the address you have registered in your account.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
1nvisible~

Nekomancer
Thank you for your reply.
Still, the issue with bypassing the Guard and with failing to connect to servers has to be observed, as for now this feature seems being useless obstacle on accessing your account.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Mekast

Quote:
However, pressing "Next" and "Back" buttons in random order made me access my account games without activation.
If you entered your code it just could have accepted it after some time.
Mekast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:35 AM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6
Zach

Captain Planet
In the Steam client click on the Help link at the very top and then select about Steam. What version are you running?
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
1nvisible~

If only I could log in...
Now it tells me to enter my code. I have received two e-mails, but neither has a valid code. Fortunately, I cannot reproduce the ability to access the account with playing with the Back/Next buttons.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
1nvisible~

Disabled the Guard again on the main PC, since couldn't log in.
I have v1503 on my notebook.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
unknown555525

This is REALLY irritating, I can't even log in because of this useless new service, I couldn't care less about account security, I just want to use my damn account. No one has ever hacked it and I doubt they will.

I only have ONE pc, I load up steam, it nags me to enter the code they sent to my email address, I'll open up the email, put in the code and it says the code is wrong, tried it OVER AND OVER and reloaded steam, even reinstalled steam (backing up the steamapps folder of course) and it still says all of the codes they are emailing me are wrong, WTF?!
unknown555525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
1nvisible~

I am lucky it didn't affect logging in on my primary PC, so I could disable it...
Old 03-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
azzonie

Why is this crap on by default?
azzonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
Dedlok

I'm only having problem with 2 things:

1) I can get the new code fine, but I cannot get past the captcha. I type it in correctly, the new code box opens up, bu in the window in the background i see it say I have to re-verify the captcha, but the new code window is still in the front "processing (this is on Google Chrome)

second, when I first tried logging in using the client, well, 1st it wouldn't go from the community page to the store, and when I tried logging in to the community page from the client, it never popped up the steam guard window, just kept giving me the "incorrect user name/password" error.
Dedlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
jimmydorry

As mentioned in OP, please remove where it says your email has been sent to your gmail account... and replace with "your email has been sent to the email account registered to your steam account...".

Would require a lot less effort to implement than trying to do the email recognition properly (although you guys should be more than capable of it ).

When I first saw that message... I freaked out for a few seconds, until the email arrived in my hotmail account.

Absolutely awesome service... Assuming you aren't firewalled and have access to your email account. (Of which I wasn't, so I was all set)

Oh and I just have to point out that this only prevents the people that steal your password... if they stole your email account, this security measure has no effect. (But this is just common-sense)

Thanks Valve!
jimmydorry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion